Thank You at the end of summer?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Thank You at the end of summer?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:12 am

I had a great job this summer (rising 2L), that I would love to go back to. Initially I thought that wasn't an option but a few people mentioned next summer at my goodbye dinner so I'm now thinking its possible. Either way, I'd like to get in touch with them and ask about it - worst they can say is no and I don't want to wonder if they might have said yes.

So, I was thinking about writing a thank you note to each of the attorneys who I worked for throughout the summer (5), just saying Thank you for everything, I learned so much yada yada. Two of those 5 are on the hiring committee, so I would add that I'd like them to keep me in mind if they have an opening next summer.

So here's my question: Is thank you letters after the summer ends customary? and even if its not, would it be appropriate in this case? No way it can ever hurt to say thank you, right?

patrickd139

Re: Thank You at the end of summer?

Postby patrickd139 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:47 am

You're going to get a ton of conflicting answers on this one, so brace yourself for extreme answers along the lines of "That's so beta; even if you do it, you'll never get a job" and "Even if you don't send one, you're definitely not getting a job." It likely depends on the personalities of the people you're sending the TY notes to. With the right people it'll marginally help. With the wrong people, they'll probably throw it away and/or laugh at you behind your back.

In the end, I doubt it makes much of a difference (if any) either way.

Anecdotally, I just made a lap the last day and shook hands with the people I worked closest with during the summer. Got an offer.
Last edited by patrickd139 on Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

TTH

Postby TTH » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:48 am

I'd say it's fine. I'm planning to do the same thing. Suffice to say, tailor the tone of the note to the personality of the reader. Go buy a pack of nice thank you cards and go nuts.

Oh, and ITE it's so beta. Enjoy DLA Piper and killself.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:49 am

TTH wrote:Oh, and ITE it's so beta. Enjoy DLA Piper and killself.

:lol:

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:49 am

Shouldn't you have thanked them in person before you left?

TTH

Postby TTH » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:52 am

oh, and if you're going to do this, don't forget to thank your support staff. Even if they didn't do anything for you, find something to thank them for. It will go a long way.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:56 am

OP here - everyone in the practice group took me out for dinner on my last day. So I said thank you to each as they were leaving.

I know its probably over kill to send them again, but I want to send one to the hiring partner that brought up next summer, and I like to send one to the attorneys I worked closest with to keep myself in their minds. I'm hoping they'll encourage him to hire me if asked (I know this would never happen most places, but it tended to be more collaborative and since I'd be working for them again I think its likely).

Anyway, thanks for the responses!

Return to “Legal Employment”