Callback Offer (URGENT)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Callback Offer (URGENT)

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:25 pm

I just got a call offering a callback interview.
When would it be the right time to set it up? Or how far from today would it be okay?
What are the things I have to think about and make up my mind before calling the recruiter to set the appointment for CB?
Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Lawquacious

Re: Callback Offer (URGENT)

Postby Lawquacious » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:28 pm

as soon as possible

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:28 pm

Call them back.
Set it up for as early as you can, accounting for things like dry cleaning and travel. If you have a pressed suit ready and it's in your city, then go tomorrow if they offer.
The longer you wait, the more offers they will have committed to other candidates and the worse your odds will be.
Assuming you went on a screening interview, it will basically be like that again, times four or five.
No trick to it.

DrGuano

Postby DrGuano » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:33 pm

May not apply to you, but some good general advice - if you have a lot of screeners and are expecting a good number of callbacks, schedule the callbacks based on interest. Once you get offers from firms you're most interested in, you can cancel the others and save time/resources.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:34 pm

DrGuano wrote:May not apply to you, but some good general advice - if you have a lot of screeners and are expecting a good number of callbacks, schedule the callbacks based on interest. Once you get offers from firms you're most interested in, you can cancel the others and save time/resources.

How long would I need to prepare? 2-3days?
I heard CB requires intense prepping, and I am not sure what is expected of?

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
DrGuano wrote:May not apply to you, but some good general advice - if you have a lot of screeners and are expecting a good number of callbacks, schedule the callbacks based on interest. Once you get offers from firms you're most interested in, you can cancel the others and save time/resources.

Dude. Maybe like 90 minutes. Relax.
Know what the firm does well and look up the bios of your callback interviewers when they tell you.
That's pretty much it.

gyarados

Postby gyarados » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:56 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Dude. Maybe like 90 minutes. Relax.
Know what the firm does well and look up the bios of your callback interviewers when they tell you.
That's pretty much it.

This. I got an offer from a firm where I forgot to look up bios so I was doing it in the bathroom on my phone. It's really not the biggest deal as long as you are chill and can make conversation.

tlsfan545

Postby tlsfan545 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:15 pm

Along these lines, I also heard that if you are expecting to have a few callbacks it could be worthwhile to schedule a firm that's not necessarily your top choice as your first. That way you can get used to the process and mechanics of a callback without the added nerves of trying to knock it out of the park with your top choice.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:17 pm

I got offered a CB last night and they wanted to schedule it 2 days from now. Unfortunately I couldn't because I am finishing my job this week (and I have to finish edits on a really long project I have before I leave), but prepared to have a good reason if you can't do it ASAP.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:33 pm

For the two firms I have gotten CBs from, I have requested to have my done a week after they offered me the callback. Is this too much of a gap? Should I have said sooner? I just figured they needed time to contact the attorneys to get a schedule put together for me. I would appreciate any thoughts so that I don't make the mistake if I get an additional CB.

As a 3L, do you think there will be quick action or do you think they will wait to participate in other school OCIs before making any decisions? Thanks in advance!

gyarados

Postby gyarados » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For the two firms I have gotten CBs from, I have requested to have my done a week after they offered me the callback. Is this too much of a gap? Should I have said sooner? I just figured they needed time to contact the attorneys to get a schedule put together for me. I would appreciate any thoughts so that I don't make the mistake if I get an additional CB.

As a 3L, do you think there will be quick action or do you think they will wait to participate in other school OCIs before making any decisions? Thanks in advance!

A week is fine, although the attitude you want to have is always showing interest, so say "as soon as possible," instead of "a week" when they ask. In general the stuff you say to the recruiting coordinators has very little impact, though. Their influence seems to be limited to getting people who are actually rude to them dinged.

Everyone has their own hiring process, so don't stress about it. You could get an offer now, you may have to wait until they fill 2L slots. There is absolutely nothing you can do, so be an adult and stop worrying about stuff you can't control.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:32 pm

gyarados wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:For the two firms I have gotten CBs from, I have requested to have my done a week after they offered me the callback. Is this too much of a gap? Should I have said sooner? I just figured they needed time to contact the attorneys to get a schedule put together for me. I would appreciate any thoughts so that I don't make the mistake if I get an additional CB.

A week is fine, although the attitude you want to have is always showing interest, so say "as soon as possible," instead of "a week" when they ask. In general the stuff you say to the recruiting coordinators has very little impact, though. Their influence seems to be limited to getting people who are actually rude to them dinged.

Everyone has their own hiring process, so don't stress about it. You could get an offer now, you may have to wait until they fill 2L slots. There is absolutely nothing you can do, so be an adult and stop worrying about stuff you can't control.

Thanks that is really helpful!

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:53 am

I just scheduled a couple two weeks out because we have OCI interviews for the next two weeks. You are not at a disadvantage for scheduling it a week or two out because most people they will see this season will come after school OCIs, weeks from now. I am not trying to say that there is no advantage to go now, or early, just a week or two from now is still early for the most part. This applies to large firms who recruits on multiple campuses.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:32 am

I have a callback with 5 possible dates. the soonest I can make it because of OCI is the 4th date. will that put me at a disadvantage?

I have 2 screeners on both the 2nd and 3rd date. Is it worth it to cancel those and go to the callback earlier?

bigredforlaw

Postby bigredforlaw » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:59 am

Yesterday late afternoon I got a callback offer via voicemail bc I was going through security at an airport. He mentioned that I'd be hearing from the recruiting manager via email to set up specifics but I haven't received that email yet. I'm only in this market for another 3 days before returning to school and only available during 2 of those days so I want to schedule it ASAP. Would it be too forward to call or email the recruiting manager today? Should I give it a few more hours?

chasgoose

Postby chasgoose » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:48 am

bigredforlaw wrote:Yesterday late afternoon I got a callback offer via voicemail bc I was going through security at an airport. He mentioned that I'd be hearing from the recruiting manager via email to set up specifics but I haven't received that email yet. I'm only in this market for another 3 days before returning to school and only available during 2 of those days so I want to schedule it ASAP. Would it be too forward to call or email the recruiting manager today? Should I give it a few more hours?

If you have the recruiting manager's contact info, I don't think that would be too forward, especially if you explain your circumstances. That said, if you can't schedule it, they will probably fly you out at a later date.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:30 am

So i called the recruitment and it kept on going to voicemail. i left one yesterday evening but they did not get back to me so i called this morning again and left another voicemail.
Would they think i am being annoyin?
If they dont call me back soon what should i do?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So i called the recruitment and it kept on going to voicemail. i left one yesterday evening but they did not get back to me so i called this morning again and left another voicemail.
Would they think i am being annoyin?
If they dont call me back soon what should i do?

They are busy, this is recruiting season. Wait for a call, it's not like you ignored your invitation.

Return to “Legal Employment”