Not accepting a full-time offer right away...

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Not accepting a full-time offer right away...

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:16 pm

Generally, how bad does this look? At what point should I just call it quits and accept?

Currently looking to interview with different places, but heard that this could damage my relationship with the current firm. I haven't revealed the interviewing to them explicitly, but I can't imagine that they don't at least suspect it (why else would people not accept their offer right away?)

Any others in this boat?

Anonymous User

Re: Not accepting a full-time offer right away...

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:22 pm

Same story here, after receiving an offer today. No plans to interview anywhere else, but I thought I would sleep on it before I officially accept.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:28 pm

^ Thanks for your comment.

For me (OP), it's more than just wanting to sleep on it... there is basically no way I will accept for at least the rest of this month, simply because the turnaround for 3L interviewing is slow from what I've heard. Is that the kind of delay I should try to avoid?

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:42 pm

Honestly, 80% of the folks at the firm won't remember who you are until you start and an announcement is sent out about you starting. If it is a nalp firm, there are rules that dictate how long you've got to accept. If not, just ask for some time to get back into the swing of school and think about everything. As long as you are reasonable and communicate well, this isn't a big deal. The most they'll do is joke about how long you took to say yes (that actually happened to a friend of mine who is now a partner at a large secondary market firm).

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:44 pm

It doesn't matter at all.

This thread is now done.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:47 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:Honestly, 80% of the folks at the firm won't remember who you are until you start and an announcement is sent out about you starting. If it is a nalp firm, there are rules that dictate how long you've got to accept. If not, just ask for some time to get back into the swing of school and think about everything. As long as you are reasonable and communicate well, this isn't a big deal. The most they'll do is joke about how long you took to say yes (that actually happened to a friend of mine who is now a partner at a large secondary market firm).

Thanks, that helps. However, my situation is a little different (think IP lit practice w/in a firm), and I am fairly sure that they will remember how long I took to accept if I were to return. Technically, I have until November 1 per NALP, but realistically, how long can I hold out for without damaging relations?

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:Honestly, 80% of the folks at the firm won't remember who you are until you start and an announcement is sent out about you starting. If it is a nalp firm, there are rules that dictate how long you've got to accept. If not, just ask for some time to get back into the swing of school and think about everything. As long as you are reasonable and communicate well, this isn't a big deal. The most they'll do is joke about how long you took to say yes (that actually happened to a friend of mine who is now a partner at a large secondary market firm).

Thanks, that helps. However, my situation is a little different (think IP lit practice w/in a firm), and I am fairly sure that they will remember how long I took to accept if I were to return. Technically, I have until November 1 per NALP, but realistically, how long can I hold out for without damaging relations?

Holy jesus fuck. It does not matter.

Do you know what will matter? How good of a lawyer you are. How attentive to detail you are. How easy you are to get in touch with on the job. How reliable you are with deadlines. How well you handle clients. How well you respond when making mistakes.

"Yeah, anonymous user was a great lawyer, but he took 5 more days to accept his offer than the fuckup in the corner, so we're totally going to fire him after investing an entire summer plus bar costs plus employment related costs/taxes. The nerve"

Alternative answer: You lose 4.3 reputation points per day you wait until 16. The 17th and 18th are each 25 reputation points. Day 19 on is down to 2.1 reputation points because the damage is done.

if you accept on the 43rd day, you win an iPad.

Judge Philip Banks

Postby Judge Philip Banks » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:59 pm

thesealocust wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Do you know what will matter? How good of a lawyer you are. How attentive to detail you are. How easy you are to get in touch with on the job. How reliable you are with deadlines. How well you handle clients. How well you respond when making mistakes.

"Yeah, anonymous user was a great lawyer, but he took 5 more days to accept his offer than the fuckup in the corner, so we're totally going to fire him after investing an entire summer plus bar costs plus employment related costs/taxes. The nerve"

Alternative answer: You lose 4.3 reputation points per day you wait until 16. The 17th and 18th are each 25 reputation points. Day 19 on is down to 2.1 reputation points because the damage is done.

So what you're saying is that OP should wait 43 days, right? Go get that iPad, OP!

CuriousClerk

Postby CuriousClerk » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:17 pm

+1 take the ipad

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:05 pm

Take the iPad dude.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:30 pm

thesealocust wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

You've been watching too much olympics...

Raima

Postby Raima » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:44 am

OP, if it makes you feel better to hear an anecdote, my fiance did this. I don't want to say how long he waited (even I thought he was being a little bit ridiculous with his wait, as it was after November 1) - essentially, until he'd interviewed with every other firm he could have ever hoped to, and then some. He starts work in a few weeks at the very firm he held out on for so long, and the partner he primarily worked and will be working under takes both him and I to lunch pretty frequently, and they are good as gold.

I.e., Sea Locust is 100% right. Nobody, not even the person I thought my fiance was insulting the most, gave a shit. Honestly, I think his firm may have even taken it as a compliment that he came back, even after offers from "better" firms.

Wait as long as you need. :)

Return to “Legal Employment”