Asking about benefits (401(k) matching, health ins., etc.) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Asking about benefits (401(k) matching, health ins., etc.)

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:46 pm

After receiving (but before accepting) SA offers, have people asked HR employees about the details of benefits packages? While SA jobs are only temporary, we all know that they almost always lead to a full-time job; once you get to the point where you have a full-time offer, other full-time employment opportunities are limited, so it would make sense that you ask about full-time benefits before accepting an SA offer.

Thoughts?

chasgoose

Silver

Re: Asking about benefits (401(k) matching, health ins., etc.)

Post by chasgoose » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:21 pm

I could be wrong, but I think these are definitely legitimate post-offer questions. Yes, you still don't have a full time offer so it could be presumptuous, but after you accept an offer you are most likely locked in at that firm for the next few years (barring success at trading up during 3L OCI, getting a no offer, or clerking and trading up after a clerkship, which aren't going to be the case for most people).

Haymarket

Bronze

Post by Haymarket » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:31 pm

Do you really see yourself having so many offers at firms that are so similar that the level of your co-pay for eye exams is going to tip the scales? Maybe my priorities are different, but in all likelihood I don't think there's a firm out there that's going to wow me with their cap on 401(k) matching and seal the deal for my SA.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:34 pm

It's probably not 'wrong' to ask, but as others have pointed out, there also isn't much need if you're looking at major firms (who all offer extremely similar benefits). Most large firms also make their benefits info very public, so you should be able to get 95% of the information you could possibly want by checking out NALP forms, firm websites, etc.

If you're looking at smaller firms with less publicized information then it's more legitimate. Either way it seems unlikely that you'll see negative repercussions for asking. Even if HR thinks it's a dumb question, no harm will come to you.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”