Mass mail campaign: Vegas vs. New Orleans vs. the Bay Area

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
Perseus_I
Posts: 265
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:24 pm

Mass mail campaign: Vegas vs. New Orleans vs. the Bay Area

Postby Perseus_I » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:05 pm

With 2 weeks to OCI, I have nothing much to do except fun, and I have family members in Las Vegas, NV, San Jose, and New Orleans. Top 25%-15%, Law Review, UT. Lived in Texas and the Bay Area.

I am thinking of starting a mass mail campaign to one of these places just because I can, and I have time. Pros and cons of each as legal markets? Fire away.

User avatar
sundance95
Posts: 2123
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:44 pm

Re: Mass mail campaign: Vegas vs. New Orleans vs. the Bay Area

Postby sundance95 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:14 pm

There have been rumblings that SV, and particularly social media, has been riding a bubble that is about to pop.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/28/technology/as-social-sites-shares-fall-some-hear-echo-of-2000.html?pagewanted=all
http://seekingalpha.com/article/781911-is-the-social-media-bubble-finally-popping
--ImageRemoved--

This is speculation, but I think SV will be an especially tough market to crack this year, and it was already one of the most difficult.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: Mass mail campaign: Vegas vs. New Orleans vs. the Bay Area

Postby rad lulz » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:51 pm

Bay Area has the most jobs, but why no just mail all those markets.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273311
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Mass mail campaign: Vegas vs. New Orleans vs. the Bay Area

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:11 pm

SF/SV market likely a waste of time. I have had little luck despite good stats and being from SF. Other markets may have higher payoffs if you don't mind living there.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273311
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Mass mail campaign: Vegas vs. New Orleans vs. the Bay Area

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:SF/SV market likely a waste of time. I have had little luck despite good stats and being from SF. Other markets may have higher payoffs if you don't mind living there.


It is possible, if difficult. I have good stats and have very few/no ties to SF/SV. I still picked up some interviews and some callbacks from mass-mailing. As Rad says, just mail them all.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: Mass mail campaign: Vegas vs. New Orleans vs. the Bay Area

Postby rad lulz » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:SF/SV market likely a waste of time. I have had little luck despite good stats and being from SF. Other markets may have higher payoffs if you don't mind living there.


It is possible, if difficult. I have good stats and have very few/no ties to SF/SV. I still picked up some interviews and some callbacks from mass-mailing. As Rad says, just mail them all.

Srsly it'll take an afternoon to put together a list of firms and plugging them into your form letter. You have good grades, but it wouldn't be unheard of for someone in your position to strike out.

User avatar
fl0w
Posts: 1404
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:46 am

Re: Mass mail campaign: Vegas vs. New Orleans vs. the Bay Area

Postby fl0w » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:07 pm

sundance95 wrote:There have been rumblings that SV, and particularly social media, has been riding a bubble that is about to pop.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/28/technology/as-social-sites-shares-fall-some-hear-echo-of-2000.html?pagewanted=all
http://seekingalpha.com/article/781911-is-the-social-media-bubble-finally-popping
--ImageRemoved--

This is speculation, but I think SV will be an especially tough market to crack this year, and it was already one of the most difficult.


to say the social media popping is going to crash the SV legal market is a stretch. I can't think of any firms that have enough of their book specifically in social media that they'd get crushed by this bubble bursting. All of the firms are aware of it, and all the survivors of the .com bubble learned lessons. SV has been one of, if not the, quickest recovering markets after the most recent downturn.

All that being said, it's a tight market. It's hard to get into. but once you do, it seems like a pretty tight community where you can get to know people very quickly.

Try. It would be worth it.

User avatar
Perseus_I
Posts: 265
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:24 pm

Re: Mass mail campaign: Vegas vs. New Orleans vs. the Bay Area

Postby Perseus_I » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:46 pm

Thanks. Bay Area is a place where I mass mailed a lot earlier in the summer without much success, so I may just rely on OCI for that one (I have 2-3 interviews). I will definitely put some out to New Orleans and Vegas, though.

How about Chicago? Is it even worth it without ties? LA?

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: Mass mail campaign: Vegas vs. New Orleans vs. the Bay Area

Postby rad lulz » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:00 pm

Perseus_I wrote:Thanks. Bay Area is a place where I mass mailed a lot earlier in the summer without much success, so I may just rely on OCI for that one (I have 2-3 interviews). I will definitely put some out to New Orleans and Vegas, though.

How about Chicago? Is it even worth it without ties? LA?

If you've already mailed all the places you have ties, why not.

User avatar
fl0w
Posts: 1404
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:46 am

Re: Mass mail campaign: Vegas vs. New Orleans vs. the Bay Area

Postby fl0w » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:19 pm

Perseus_I wrote:Thanks. Bay Area is a place where I mass mailed a lot earlier in the summer without much success, so I may just rely on OCI for that one (I have 2-3 interviews). I will definitely put some out to New Orleans and Vegas, though.

How about Chicago? Is it even worth it without ties? LA?


so i have a lot of ties to chicago and got nothing. but had no ties to bay area and ended up there. chicago is really tough to crack right now. again. you should try. You'll hate yourself if you dont.

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8446
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: Mass mail campaign: Vegas vs. New Orleans vs. the Bay Area

Postby thesealocust » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:46 pm

Vegas Pros: might offer you a job

Vegas Cons: Stamps cost 32 cents each?

New Orleans Pros: might offer you a job

New Orleans Cons: Stamps cost 32 cents each?

Bay Area Pros: might offer you a job

Bay Area Cons: Stamps cost 32 cents each?

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: Mass mail campaign: Vegas vs. New Orleans vs. the Bay Area

Postby rad lulz » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:48 pm

thesealocust wrote:Vegas Pros: might offer you a job

Vegas Cons: Stamps cost 32 cents each?

New Orleans Pros: might offer you a job

New Orleans Cons: Stamps cost 32 cents each?

Bay Area Pros: might offer you a job

Bay Area Cons: Stamps cost 32 cents each?

Email is free, but those FUCKING electric bills bro.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273311
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Mass mail campaign: Vegas vs. New Orleans vs. the Bay Area

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:17 am

Wow, I'm amazed that some people got lucky in SF. Can I ask what your stats are and where you applied? I go to a top 30 East Coast school, in top 10% with Law Review, have solid work experience, and grew up in the Bay Area. I emailed in early July. Only have one interview with a big name firm there, and it's only because I have a friend who works as an attorney there and she gave me a reference.

badaboom61
Posts: 404
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:36 pm

Re: Mass mail campaign: Vegas vs. New Orleans vs. the Bay Area

Postby badaboom61 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:23 am

thesealocust wrote:Vegas Pros: might offer you a job

Vegas Cons: Stamps cost 32 cents each?

New Orleans Pros: might offer you a job

New Orleans Cons: Stamps cost 32 cents each?

Bay Area Pros: might offer you a job

Bay Area Cons: Stamps cost 32 cents each?


You haven't mailed a letter in a while, have you?

http://www.stamps.com/usps/postage-rate-increase/

User avatar
sundance95
Posts: 2123
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:44 pm

Re: Mass mail campaign: Vegas vs. New Orleans vs. the Bay Area

Postby sundance95 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:36 am

badaboom61 wrote:
thesealocust wrote:Vegas Pros: might offer you a job

Vegas Cons: Stamps cost 32 cents each?

New Orleans Pros: might offer you a job

New Orleans Cons: Stamps cost 32 cents each?

Bay Area Pros: might offer you a job

Bay Area Cons: Stamps cost 32 cents each?


You haven't mailed a letter in a while, have you?

http://www.stamps.com/usps/postage-rate-increase/
THIS CHANGES THE ENTIRE ANALYSIS

Anonymous User
Posts: 273311
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Mass mail campaign: Vegas vs. New Orleans vs. the Bay Area

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:Wow, I'm amazed that some people got lucky in SF. Can I ask what your stats are and where you applied? I go to a top 30 East Coast school, in top 10% with Law Review, have solid work experience, and grew up in the Bay Area. I emailed in early July. Only have one interview with a big name firm there, and it's only because I have a friend who works as an attorney there and she gave me a reference.


At DNG. Between top 10% and 15%; on law review, but didn't have that on my resume yet when I got the interviews, so no impact from that. We have an off-campus interview program for SF/SV firms. I picked up three pre-selects that way, then emailed/applied online to about 30 big firms or smaller offices of big firms in SF and SV. I restricted myself to class sizes of three or bigger, as an arbitrary cutoff point. You can figure out which firms I'm talking about -- it's not that hard.

Lots of firms I didn't hear back from at all, got a couple of rejection letters, and a couple of "interview on campus" emails. Through that campaign, I got three more interviews. Out of the six total, ended up with three callbacks thus far, two of which have happened already, and one offer.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273311
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Mass mail campaign: Vegas vs. New Orleans vs. the Bay Area

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:02 am

Congrats! I think your DNG status made the difference. I literally did the same thing as you. The only difference is the school.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.