Southern Accent Turn-off to NYC Firms?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Perseus_I

Southern Accent Turn-off to NYC Firms?

Postby Perseus_I » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:36 am

Someone from Texas, who goes to UT Law, and speaks with what others describe as a "Texas accent." Could this present a barrier in screeners or callbacks at NYC firms?

I know they don't like Dubya out there.

Anonymous User

Re: Southern Accent Turn-off to NYC Firms?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:49 am

I think it could, yes, but what can you do?

anon168

Postby anon168 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:50 am

Perseus_I wrote:Someone from Texas, who goes to UT Law, and speaks with what others describe as a "Texas accent." Could this present a barrier in screeners or callbacks at NYC firms?

I know they don't like Dubya out there.

It could be a turnoff not just to NYC firms, but alot of markets (DC, SF, LA, Miami, Chicago, etc.)

5ky

Postby 5ky » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:04 am

Perseus, you gotta relax, man. I say this seriously, you need to try to take a day or two off from all this. I know you're stressed out, but you have to recharge your batteries.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:40 am

What is this I don't even

TTH

Postby TTH » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:42 am

If you draw a female or gay male interviewer, just be sure you let them know that what they say about everything being bigger in Texas is absolutely true. You should be fine.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:53 am

In all honesty, my southern accent combined with my interview responses has given me the impression that firms outside of the south are concerned about fit and are more likely to think that I am a flight risk. In one interview, a partner came right out and made a joke about the way I pronounced a certain word (keep in mind that the context of the conversation was around the topic for which I had written a judicial opinion for a federal judge, so people think you sound stupid even in the context of good work product).

TTH

Postby TTH » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:In all honesty, my southern accent combined with my interview responses has given me the impression that firms outside of the south are concerned about fit and are more likely to think that I am a flight risk. In one interview, a partner came right out and made a joke about the way I pronounced a certain word (keep in mind that the context of the conversation was around the topic for which I had written a judicial opinion for a federal judge, so people think you sound stupid even in the context of good work product).

Sucks dude. When I moved from a twangy part of the country to a non-twang area, I dealt with a lot of the same shit. I had a job already at the time, so the stakes were a little different, but it always annoyed the hell out of me when people assumed they were more intelligent than me because of my accent.

wiseowl

Postby wiseowl » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:43 am

The Southern pastiche is associated with great litigators throughout history.

Bless your heart.

Return to “Legal Employment”