Talking about "experiences" in Interview

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Talking about "experiences" in Interview

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:13 pm

Ex: How best to discuss 1L internship with fed. judge in an interview?

I'm just confused in general as to how to discuss my experience section. Discuss the content of what I did or the skills that I developed? Hard to 2 both at once

thesealocust

Re: Talking about "experiences" in Interview

Postby thesealocust » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:18 pm

They'll ask something like "tell me about working for your judge" or something. You aren't discussing your resume at that point - you're responding to the question that they asked.

Some measure of spin towards skills you developed is probably OK, but you don't want to sound forced or artificial. It's like good writing: show, don't tell. Discuss the stuff you did and let them draw conclusion, don't just be like "DRAFTING MEMOS MADE ME A BETTER DRAFTER OF MEMOS NEXT TOPIC"

Nightrunner

Re: Talking about "experiences" in Interview

Postby Nightrunner » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:22 pm

thesealocust wrote:They'll ask something like "tell me about working for your judge" or something. You aren't discussing your resume at that point - you're responding to the question that they asked.

Some measure of spin towards skills you developed is probably OK, but you don't want to sound forced or artificial. It's like good writing: show, don't tell. Discuss the stuff you did and let them draw conclusion, don't just be like "DRAFTING MEMOS MADE ME A BETTER DRAFTER OF MEMOS NEXT TOPIC"

Word.

The only addition I'd make is that I (personally) would discuss how the experienced changed my thinking about some sort of skill as my "showing" (other than, of course, a writing sample). Talking about how experienced supervisory feedback changed the way you think about research or writing is a good thing, so long as it is true.

Return to “Legal Employment”