OCI screening interviews - should I write thank you notes?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

OCI screening interviews - should I write thank you notes?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:51 pm

Some people say it's mandatory, some say optional, some say to not write them.

What's the proper etiquette?

alicrimson

Re: OCI screening interviews - should I write thank you notes?

Postby alicrimson » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Some people say it's mandatory, some say optional, some say to not write them.

What's the proper etiquette?

I'm also interested in this, as I'm debating whether to send one right now.

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:53 pm

I think the advice is no for screeners, yes for callbacks (after the callback).

letsdoit

Postby letsdoit » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:55 pm

Lawquacious wrote:I think the advice is no for screeners, yes for callbacks (after the callback).

TITCR. Our CSO specifically said this because employers get annoyed at thank yous from screeners.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:57 pm

I don't think so.

But it does confuse me a little because every interviewer so far has given me their business card and is like, oh please contact me if you have any questions. I know that's just the nice thing to do, but I don't really know why I would ever contact them if not to write a thank you note.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:03 pm

No.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:07 pm

Screening interviews: No. Never. No room for discussion.

Callbacks: There's actually a legitimate division of opinion here. My school's CSO (and former biglaw partner) thinks it's a dated practice and unnecessary most of the time. May depend on the firm and the market. Many do them anyway. If you do them, make them flawless and get them out the door quickly.

Do it if you want to, but don't consider it a 'better safe than sorry' choice to do them. A mistake or awkward email is more likely to do you harm than silence at most firms, in most markets.
Last edited by thesealocust on Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pertristis

Postby pertristis » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:14 pm

From what others have said before, the no-thank-you-note policy excludes Southern and small firms. In those cases, it's probably a good idea.

legalmindedfella

Postby legalmindedfella » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:24 pm

pertristis wrote:From what others have said before, the no-thank-you-note policy excludes Southern and small firms. In those cases, it's probably a good idea.

Did they mention whether DC would be included in the southern hospitality ranks?

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:24 pm

DC is neither the south nor a small legal market.

cojsterling

Postby cojsterling » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:27 pm

My schools OCS (not saying I agree with them) told us to send thank yous to screeners for our New York interview program.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:28 pm

cojsterling wrote:My schools OCS (not saying I agree with them) told us to send thank yous to screeners for our New York interview program.

llllllllllol. OCS can be adorable sometimes.

SFConfidential

Postby SFConfidential » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:38 pm

People are divided on this. You'll get a million different answers/reasons (yes for this reason, no for that reason, yes always, no never, etc etc etc).

My personal opinion is to send them if you think you had a good interview/have something substantive to say other than "thanks for taking the time to talk to me." That's their job. But if you really connected on something (ie the interview stood out in your mind for a reason other than you like the firm or the job prospects, etc...a personal connection, basically), I think it can be a useful tool to remind the person of that connection. But I think it's safe to say it doesn't have any real correlation to callbacks, its more just a pleasantry.

TL;DR: everybody says different things, its totally personal preference.

Rocío

Postby Rocío » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:43 pm

I always wrote handwritten thank you notes, to every interviewer at every round, and made sure to keep it short. Emails are just not even worth it IMHO. I got 15/20 callbacks, and two offers in case that means anything.

I actually found these really cute Thank You postcards that I sent for screener interviews - that way if people were "annoyed" they could just chuck them.
Last edited by Rocío on Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:11 pm

I wrote a brief thank you e-mail to each of the screening interviewers with whom I felt I had a good conversation or worked at a firm that I really wanted. I also wrote a thank you e-mail to every single callback interviewer.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:47 pm

Rocío wrote:I got 15/20 callbacks, and two offers in case that means anything.

:shock:

Rocío

Postby Rocío » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:50 pm

Tanicius wrote:
Rocío wrote:I got 15/20 callbacks, and two offers in case that means anything.

:shock:

Yeah, government work... Hiring freezes... Made for a painful interview cycle. And I was lucky :|

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:22 pm

Does the no thank you note rule apply if the 30 minute screener was held at their office as a part of the school's program? Or is it expected to send one? Thanks!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:12 pm

My school's CSO said to write thank yous after screening interviews (I'm in the south). I ended up doing them solely because I didn't want to be one of the few who didn't write one and have that come across poorly. I figure that sending one isn't going to hurt (or help) my chances at all, but not sending one could potentially hurt, so it's worth the few minutes it takes.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:36 am

I don't think it's necessary to write thank you notes for screeners. Most of the time they'll have already filled out their evaluations before they get the thank you note.

On the other hand, I don't think it'll hurt you if you feel like doing it. I had a friend who did it last year at OCI. He got tons of CBs anyway. He ended up summering at Skadden, so it seemed to work out for him.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:24 am

Anonymous User wrote:My school's CSO said to write thank yous after screening interviews (I'm in the south). I ended up doing them solely because I didn't want to be one of the few who didn't write one and have that come across poorly. I figure that sending one isn't going to hurt (or help) my chances at all, but not sending one could potentially hurt, so it's worth the few minutes it takes.

This. This is how I felt. I sent emails to screeners who I really clicked with. While I don't think it helped anything per se, one office held screener emailed me back shortly that same night to let me know that they are going to call me on Thursday to set up a callback. I don't know if this has to do with thank yous, but it's kind of nice to know that one callback is coming my way before OCI starts.

I feel like it's one of those things where, so long as you don't write anything stupid, no one is going to ding you for being polite; however, if someone did want a thank you and you fail to send, you could be hurt for that. I wouldn't send them to all the firms, but if you have something to say, I don't think it could hurt.

reformed calvinist

Postby reformed calvinist » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:47 pm

thesealocust wrote:DC is neither the south nor a small legal market.

It's south of the mason-dixon line...

2014utLaw

Postby 2014utLaw » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:59 pm

Last edited by 2014utLaw on Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DrGuano

Postby DrGuano » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:06 pm

Rocío wrote:I always wrote handwritten thank you notes, to every interviewer at every round, and made sure to keep it short. Emails are just not even worth it IMHO. I got 15/20 callbacks, and two offers in case that means anything.

I actually found these really cute Thank You postcards that I sent for screener interviews - that way if people were "annoyed" they could just chuck them.

Huge waste of time and paper. Have heard from numerous interviewers that they make their decision right after you leave. There is no round table discussion where they go over their notes with the hiring committee. They make it on the spot and report back.

By the time they get your letter in the mail, you're an afterthought, one way or the other.

nmcdgt

Postby nmcdgt » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:22 pm

Related question: if you are going to send a thank you note and you had multiple interviewers, do you send one to them both or just pick one?

Return to “Legal Employment”