briefcase or padfolio

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

briefcase or padfolio

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:14 pm

So basically, I have a new briefcase as well as a padfolio. In an OCI interview, should I bring the entire briefcase in with the padfolio, or should I just bring in the padfolio?

JetsFan1990

Re: briefcase or padfolio

Postby JetsFan1990 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:16 pm

Terrible use of anon feature. Answer: padfolio, brolio.

Rocío

Postby Rocío » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:18 pm

JetsFan1990 wrote:Terrible use of anon feature. Answer: padfolio, brolio.

Seconded. You aren't going into court - leave the briefcase at home.

TTH

Postby TTH » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:24 pm

Neither. Bring a 1L with you. Have them stand in the corner holding a single copy of your relevant documents. Make sure they are wearing white felt gloves so as not to smudge your papers with oils from their fingertips. Introduce the 1L as your assistant and ask the interviewer if he or she would like a coffee or water. If the interviewer answers in the affirmative, give a brief, curt nod to the 1L. If you've trained the 1L correctly, they will place the paperwork on the table, then back away (NOT turn away!) to the door, reach behind them for the handle, turn sharply on one heel, then exit to retrieve the beverage. I'd suggest drilling with the 1L in each interview room for which you have a screener so that there is no confusion.

DrGuano

Postby DrGuano » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:25 pm

I really don't think this matters, however, based on my own personal perception, I think the padfolio looks juvenile. You're interviewing for a legal job at a firm, not some high school internship.

Don't show up with an elephant bag or some big, hardboxed Dick Tracey-like briefcase, but a nice slim briefcase, about 5-7 inches thick ought to do it. I prefer one with a strap for walking around, though carrying it by the handles is a fine look when walking in to an interview.

A bag is much more practical: If it may rain, you can stuff a tiny umbrella in it; snacks for a long day; tylenol if you get a headache; pepto if you eat crappy hospitality suite food. The possibilities are endless!

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:27 pm

DrGuano wrote: I think the padfolio looks juvenile.

Literally 95%+ of the students at my school rocked the padfolio during OCI. If it looks juvenile, it's acceptable during this process.

JetsFan1990

Postby JetsFan1990 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:28 pm

DrGuano wrote:I really don't think this matters, however, based on my own personal perception, I think the padfolio looks juvenile. You're interviewing for a legal job at a firm, not some high school internship.

Don't show up with an elephant bag or some big, hardboxed Dick Tracey-like briefcase, but a nice slim briefcase, about 5-7 inches thick ought to do it. I prefer one with a strap for walking around, though carrying it by the handles is a fine look when walking in to an interview.

A bag is much more practical: If it may rain, you can stuff a tiny umbrella in it; snacks for a long day; tylenol if you get a headache; pepto if you eat crappy hospitality suite food. The possibilities are endless!

This has to be a joke..

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:33 pm

Of course a padfolio

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:27 pm

I fucking hate them, but a padfolio is TCR.

Return to “Legal Employment”