Your the one I really want?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Your the one I really want?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:05 pm

If a firm is legitimately your number one choice does it make sense to let them know this.

In my case I really appreciated the way I was treated by two partners I met and they are a highly ranked firm to boot. Additionally this is relevant to me because my ties to market are minimal.

Any thoughts or experiences with this would be appreciated

a11 1n

Re: Your the one I really want?

Postby a11 1n » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:08 pm

I imagine the interviewer would blush and sheepishly remark "I bet you say that to all the law firms" :wink:

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:11 pm

An OCD interviewer would wonder in the back of his mind whether you mixed up your and you're.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:25 pm

OP here, thanks for this I thought the title would have a shot at giving yall some fun. I just kind of continue flailing with regards to this ties or lack thereof thing

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:29 pm

You're*

somewhatwayward

Postby somewhatwayward » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:35 pm

^
beat me to it.....if you're going to do it, you better spell you're right or your chances will be nil

zonto

Postby zonto » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:36 pm

nevdash

Postby nevdash » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:37 pm

somewhatwayward wrote:^
beat me to it.....if you're going to do it, you better spell you're right or your chances will be nil

Correctly*

nevdash

Postby nevdash » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:40 pm

Also, for the follow-up email: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNZH-emehxA

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If a firm is legitimately your number one choice does it make sense to let them know this.

In my case I really appreciated the way I was treated by two partners I met and they are a highly ranked firm to boot. Additionally this is relevant to me because my ties to market are minimal.

Any thoughts or experiences with this would be appreciated
I just did this the other day at a career fair with an interviewer that I think I really hit it off with. I had debated internally whether or not to do this during an interview and, in part, decided to do so because I had read anecdotal report(s) on here that it can go over well. I can't tell you if it has worked (no word on callback or ding), but I do know that the interviewer took serious note of it and thanked me genuinely for letting him know. To be frank, I didn't just say that "you're the one that I want," but couched it in terms of why I did. For instance, say something like "you really are my top choice because, as we discussed, I'm really interested in x practice area" or "your geographic location is very important to me." Again, just anecdotal, but I think it can only help you if done convincingly.

formerbiglawpartner

Postby formerbiglawpartner » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:50 pm

Honestly, don't ever underestimate an attorney's ego. They all think they work at the best firm. The key is to really research and tailor your reasons for wanting the firm, i.e., specific practice areas, firm culture, etc. Don't be smarmy, of course, but it is definitely OK to tell a firm they are your top choice. Like any other organization, firms want to extend offers to people they think will really accept them. Good luck!

Dustin.

Postby Dustin. » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:04 pm

This should answer all your questions:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FltRUoAaGdo

AntipodeanPhil

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here, thanks for this I thought the title would have a shot at giving yall some fun. I just kind of continue flailing with regards to this ties or lack thereof thing

with regard to

buddingjd

Postby buddingjd » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:40 pm

I would not hire someone who doesn't know the difference between your and you're.

a11 1n

Postby a11 1n » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:10 pm

buddingjd wrote:I would not hire someone who doesn't know the difference between your and you're.

I would not hire someone who uses contractions. Luckily, hiring decisions are not made based on the grammar of your TLS posts so we can all rest easy.

Return to “Legal Employment”