Major 3L Hustling

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
nevdash
Posts: 409
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:01 pm

Major 3L Hustling

Postby nevdash » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:51 pm

.
Last edited by nevdash on Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
a11 1n
Posts: 183
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:48 pm

Re: Major 3L Hustling

Postby a11 1n » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:59 pm

Personally, I think proposing the trade is awkward and unlikely to lead to any tangible residual good-will. I would just email letting him/her know that you are participating as a witness, are sincerely interested in the firm, and looking forward to meeting the staff. Then just ask the person to get lunch or coffee and see if they will discuss the firm with you.

User avatar
nevdash
Posts: 409
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:01 pm

Re: Major 3L Hustling

Postby nevdash » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:04 pm

But the thing is that I already spoke to an alum partner about the firm. Does it do any good to discuss the firm with multiple people there? If an informational interview with a partner in the office I want didn't lead to an automatic interview, do you think discussing the firm with dudes in the firm's satellite office across the country is going to lead to anything?

I know this plan probably has a small likelihood of success, but I was just wondering if there was an equal or bigger chance of negative consequences resulting. If not, then I might as well try, right?

User avatar
a11 1n
Posts: 183
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:48 pm

Re: Major 3L Hustling

Postby a11 1n » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:13 pm

nevdash wrote:But the thing is that I already spoke to an alum partner about the firm. Does it do any good to discuss the firm with multiple people there? If an informational interview with a partner in the office I want didn't lead to an automatic interview, do you think discussing the firm with dudes in the firm's satellite office across the country is going to lead to anything?

I know this plan probably has a small likelihood of success, but I was just wondering of there was an equal or bigger chance of negative consequences resulting. If not, then I might as well try, right?


I'm of the school of thought that you can never make enough contacts at any one firm, especially your "dream firm" because you just don't known which partner/attorney/recruiter will vouch for you on any given day. I just don't see any upside to making the offer your contemplating. I find it highly unlikely that the attorney will accept the terms and, even though its not really a bribe, it has this strange fuzzy feeling of one.

User avatar
nevdash
Posts: 409
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:01 pm

Re: Major 3L Hustling

Postby nevdash » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:21 pm

a11 1n wrote:even though its not really a bribe, it has this strange fuzzy feeling of one.

That's what I was afraid of. Thanks for the input.

apparentlynew
Posts: 82
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:56 am

Re: Major 3L Hustling

Postby apparentlynew » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:28 pm

Do not offer to do it for free in exchange for getting an interview.

User avatar
Verity
Posts: 1253
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:26 pm

Re: Major 3L Hustling

Postby Verity » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:32 pm

What've you got to lose? Do you have a chance at interviewing there without doing this? If there's a decent chance, I'd probably not use this tactic. If no chance, use it. Strange "fuzzy" feelings, or unemployment?

User avatar
nevdash
Posts: 409
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:01 pm

Re: Major 3L Hustling

Postby nevdash » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:38 pm

Verity wrote:What've you got to lose? Do you have a chance at interviewing there without doing this? If there's a decent chance, I'd probably not use this tactic. If no chance, use it. Strange "fuzzy" feelings, or unemployment?

3L hiring seems so unpredictable that it's hard to tell if I have a chance. Just looking at my resume, I definitely think I do (around top 10% of class, LR, extensive experience in the firm's specialty). But I thought you had to go the extra mile to make yourself stand out from the zillions of other 3Ls looking for jobs.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273117
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Major 3L Hustling

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:47 pm

Comes across as trying to "buy" an interview spot and reeks of desperation. If you're going to "hustle" find some other way to do it. I think if you had any shot at this firm at all, you would lose it with this move. The email made me cringe.

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Major 3L Hustling

Postby fatduck » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:49 pm

if i received this email, i would probably forward it to ATL

User avatar
nevdash
Posts: 409
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:01 pm

Re: Major 3L Hustling

Postby nevdash » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:50 pm

Alright, seems like everyone is reading it in the way that I had feared. Won't send.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273117
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Major 3L Hustling

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Comes across as trying to "buy" an interview spot and reeks of desperation. If you're going to "hustle" find some other way to do it. I think if you had any shot at this firm at all, you would lose it with this move. The email made me cringe.


Yah this concerns me. Everything I observe/read/experience suggests that hiring is like dating. Come off as too apathetic and no one wants to waste their time trying to woo you. Come off as desperate and you scare people off.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273117
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Major 3L Hustling

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Comes across as trying to "buy" an interview spot and reeks of desperation. If you're going to "hustle" find some other way to do it. I think if you had any shot at this firm at all, you would lose it with this move. The email made me cringe.


Yah this concerns me. Everything I observe/read/experience suggests that hiring is like dating. Come off as too apathetic and no one wants to waste their time trying to woo you. Come off as desperate and you scare people off.


This is definitely true. Who wants to hire a guy who has has no other real options and who other firms are uninterested in? I mean, firms understand top choices and all. But if your top choice is, say, SullCrom and you get offers at Davis Polk, Simpson, Cravath, etc, it's not like you're going to be begging SullCrom for just a chance to interview with them, even if they are your clear top choice.

McQueen
Posts: 38
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:48 pm

Re: Major 3L Hustling

Postby McQueen » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:20 am

"As indicated in my cover letter, I had a lot of fun participating in a similar program and I look forward to meeting attorneys from your office. Just so you know, I spoke to a partner in your office who is also a Y alum. Because he is aware of my genuine interest in your firm he wholeheartedly forwarded my resume to your recruiter in hopes of securing an interview at your office.”


A little succinct editing to your note. Change it as you wish (if necessary put back in you FIRST choice, whatever), just do not add the part about swapping/foregoing $ for an interview.

memo2partner
Posts: 96
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:38 pm

Re: Major 3L Hustling

Postby memo2partner » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:22 am

It just reeks so hard of desperation. Who wants to hire an attorney that has zero options?




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.