Nothing special but somehow got Sidley DC/NY callback

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Nothing special but somehow got Sidley DC/NY callback

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:41 am

Sorry I don't want to specify whether it's DC or NY b/c I'm extra paranoid about being outted. Top third at T30 (my school's not DC or NY), no WE, no diversity, secondary journal, so-so ties to DC/NY, though it is my preferred market. Clearly I'm not that impressive, but I did find it very easy to talk to my interviewer so the screener went well. I have had a bunch of screeners at job fairs and OCI but this is only my second callback (and I don't think the first one went well). Any advice?? I'd be grateful for any callback tips, not just those geared towards Sidley. I am typically on the shy side but can at least be more talkative/enthusiastic at an interview...I mean it IS employment on the line. I looked through a bunch of the OCI threads but am looking for more of a do's and don'ts list, some good questions to keep in mind, and suggestions for prep. Thank you!

KamaalTheAbstract

Re: Nothing special but somehow got Sidley DC/NY callback

Postby KamaalTheAbstract » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:12 am

OCI or diversity fair?

DrGuano

Postby DrGuano » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:27 am

While the odds may be against you, unless it's some favor to a partner by inviting you back, they're giving you a chance to get an offer. With your stats, you're going to need to kill it once again, especially with the two partners you meet with. Do your homework on the firm. If you're interested in a particular area, try to have a good answer as to why you want to do that work and why Sidley is the right place. If you know any summers from this past year, get in touch with them ASAP and pick their brain.

Above all else, be yourself in the interview. Do what got you the callback in the first place.

Sidley NY at least, based on my interviewing experience there, is a pretty low key place. Don't be subdued, but that "kill what you eat" mentality of a Skadden/K&E/Cahill isn't necessary to connect with someone at Sidley. They're not a top notch shop in NY (though they are better in DC), so you have a fighting chance for sure. Don't think it was some kind of mistake. You got the callback for a reason. You're half of the way there.

Good luck!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:15 pm

is the callback from the vandy-tulane-wash u (semw) fair/ off campus?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:52 pm

OP here. Thanks for the advice. As I mentioned, I offer no diversity. I also didn't have any connections w/ Sidley. I did speak to an alum who summered there and will continue to find people to talk to before the callback.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:19 pm

Sidley NYC is not particularly impressive and I'm doubting you got a cb at Sidley DC with the creds you mentioned.

Ratchet Jackson

Postby Ratchet Jackson » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Sidley NYC is not particularly impressive and I'm doubting you got a cb at Sidley DC with the creds you mentioned.

This is immensely helpful.

SilverE2

Postby SilverE2 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Sidley NYC is not particularly impressive and I'm doubting you got a cb at Sidley DC with the creds you mentioned.

Man this is super fucking helpful.

SilverE2

Postby SilverE2 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:25 pm

RJ127 wrote:

This is immensely helpful.

lol

FlightoftheEarls

Postby FlightoftheEarls » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:13 pm

Magnificent? Is that you, sweetie?

Return to “Legal Employment”