Walking into a firm and asking to see someone about a job

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273082
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Walking into a firm and asking to see someone about a job

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:23 am

I am a 2012 graduate awaiting bar results and struggling to find a job (go figure).

A successful friend of mine (although not in the field of law) suggested that I just take the ballsy move, pick my favorite 20 local firms, put on a suit, print out copies of my resume, and physically go to the offices and ask to see either an HR person or the hiring partner about a job, as opposed to e-mail, phone, and mail.

This sounds both ludicrous and interesting at the same time. What's your take? Effective? Or will they just tell me to get lost? Thanks!



P.S. Please don't say "it's worth a shot." So is raining down 10,000 copies of my resume from the Good Year blimp over downtown NYC during New Years Eve.

User avatar
TTH
Posts: 10378
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 1:14 am

Re: Walking into a firm and asking to see someone about a job

Postby TTH » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:26 am

Sounds ridiculous.

User avatar
YankeesFan
Posts: 533
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:42 pm

Re: Walking into a firm and asking to see someone about a job

Postby YankeesFan » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:29 am

Hmm I think your friend is confusing real life with John Grisham novels...

lawyerwannabe
Posts: 945
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:39 pm

Re: Walking into a firm and asking to see someone about a job

Postby lawyerwannabe » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:31 am

Honestly, why not try it a few times and see the general response you get. No one here will know for sure whether it will work or not because I doubt anyone has attempted it. You have nothing to lose and what you have done up to this point has not worked. Good luck!

User avatar
YankeesFan
Posts: 533
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:42 pm

Re: Walking into a firm and asking to see someone about a job

Postby YankeesFan » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:39 am

Honestly, I doubt you would get past the receptionist. Without an appointment, even if an attorney was in the office he would likely be too busy to talk to you. If the firm is big enough to have a dedicated HR staff person/director then maybe they would be able to see you, but they might be put off by your lack of business etiquette, i.e. just showing up at an office and expecting to meet with someone without an appointment.

However, I am a huge fan of the blimp idea.

User avatar
chrisbru
Posts: 4252
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:44 pm

Re: Walking into a firm and asking to see someone about a job

Postby chrisbru » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:44 am

I tried this for 1L summer jobs - I was in my target market (secondary, smallish city with a decent legal community) over Winter Break, so I figured I'd give it a shot. Every single one said they could take my resume and that they would be in contact with me in the future.

So, in my opinion, there is no benefit over mailing - It all comes to the people making decisions in the same form. It just takes longer. Although I don't know if the receptionist makes a note or something about you coming in person, which may or may not give you a slight bump?

jhandin
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: Walking into a firm and asking to see someone about a job

Postby jhandin » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:47 am

chrisbru wrote:I tried this for 1L summer jobs - I was in my target market (secondary, smallish city with a decent legal community) over Winter Break, so I figured I'd give it a shot. Every single one said they could take my resume and that they would be in contact with me in the future.

So, in my opinion, there is no benefit over mailing - It all comes to the people making decisions in the same form. It just takes longer. Although I don't know if the receptionist makes a note or something about you coming in person, which may or may not give you a slight bump?


Did any of these firms that you visited in person follow up? Did you ultimately get any offers? Granted, it was for a 1L job and not an associate position. It seems like firms are more willing to give you a 3-month shot as a summer clerk, but most of the time not as a new associate, unless you've also clerked for them before.

User avatar
chrisbru
Posts: 4252
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:44 pm

Re: Walking into a firm and asking to see someone about a job

Postby chrisbru » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:48 am

jhandin wrote:
Did any of these firms that you visited in person follow up? Did you ultimately get any offers? Granted, it was for a 1L job and not an associate position. It seems like firms are more willing to give you a 3-month shot as a summer clerk, but most of the time not as a new associate, unless you've also clerked for them before.


All followed up, most said they weren't taking any 1L's, a few just straight up dinged me. I only did this with about 8 firms though, so I'm not sure the sample is large enough to be relevant anyway.

User avatar
The Valkyrie
Posts: 215
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:46 pm

Re: Walking into a firm and asking to see someone about a job

Postby The Valkyrie » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:53 am

I did this. I had business cards printed up with a kind of mini resume on them and just went out to small firms and tried to talk to someone. Never got anywhere with it, had one bad reaction. 3/10, would not do again

jhandin
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: Walking into a firm and asking to see someone about a job

Postby jhandin » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:54 am

The Valkyrie wrote:I did this. I had business cards printed up with a kind of mini resume on them and just went out to small firms and tried to talk to someone. Never got anywhere with it, had one bad reaction. 3/10, would not do again


Would you mind taking the time to share the one bad reaction? I need some excitement out of this thread.

User avatar
The Valkyrie
Posts: 215
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:46 pm

Re: Walking into a firm and asking to see someone about a job

Postby The Valkyrie » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:01 am

jhandin wrote:
The Valkyrie wrote:I did this. I had business cards printed up with a kind of mini resume on them and just went out to small firms and tried to talk to someone. Never got anywhere with it, had one bad reaction. 3/10, would not do again


Would you mind taking the time to share the one bad reaction? I need some excitement out of this thread.


This was a solo with no receptionist or anything. The kind of place where you open the door of the firm and it's a single room with the dude at the desk. He seemed busy but I told him I was a young attorney looking for a new opportunity and handed him my card. He wouldn't take it so I just dropped it on the desk. It was one of those things where it was awkward as hell before a word was said. He excoriated me for being unprofessional and basically called me a door-to-door charlatan.

User avatar
The Valkyrie
Posts: 215
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:46 pm

Re: Walking into a firm and asking to see someone about a job

Postby The Valkyrie » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:10 am

Knew I posted about this before:

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=161693

jhandin
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: Walking into a firm and asking to see someone about a job

Postby jhandin » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:27 am

The Valkyrie wrote:Knew I posted about this before:

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=161693


Great, thanks. His attitude would explain why he works alone.

User avatar
LeDique
Posts: 12689
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:10 pm

Re: Walking into a firm and asking to see someone about a job

Postby LeDique » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:37 pm

YankeesFan wrote:However, I am a huge fan of the blimp idea.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273082
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Walking into a firm and asking to see someone about a job

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:47 pm

LeDique wrote:
YankeesFan wrote:However, I am a huge fan of the blimp idea.


I think a better bet is to call. Showing up is a little creepy.

User avatar
RedBirds2011
Posts: 623
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:26 pm

Re: Walking into a firm and asking to see someone about a job

Postby RedBirds2011 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:20 pm

I have a good friend that secured employment doing exactly this. The employer told him that he didnt see people actually do that anymore and that he loved his initiative. He was hired the next day. One thing is for sure though, you are not going to get hired sitting on the couch emailing resumes and calling people. Another thing you should do is seeing if you can meet up casually with lawyers and ask them about what they do. Show genuine interest. Dont ask for a job right off the bat, just get your name out there and show interest. I am actually surprised that so many here think this is weird. This is how most people in this country end up getting gainfully employed. However, dont do this with bigger firms. If its a large firm, and you don't have the grades, just forget about it and move on.

johndhi
Posts: 358
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:25 am

Re: Walking into a firm and asking to see someone about a job

Postby johndhi » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:21 pm

I'd recommend sending them stuff by mail, then if you don't hear back, doing research to find the hiring partner or HR person's email or phone number and contacting them to let them know you're in the area and that you'd like to drop by to talk, even if just about how they go about hiring and what they're looking for (kinda informational, but strictly about hiring in the market). This way you can have face-time but also not be scary. Some law firms deal with a lot of crazy people (e.g. personal injury victims) and their receptionists are instructed to protect everyone from having to deal with these people, so they'll look askance at someone without an appointment.

If you don't get a response to these emails/calls, get weird with your research and make sure you're actually contacting someone at a contact info where they're likely to see it (e.g., not recruiting@paulweiss.com or whatever).

Good luck.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.