Law firms that specialize in LGBT issues

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Bemylightx

Law firms that specialize in LGBT issues

Postby Bemylightx » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:56 am

I am going into my 3L year and I am thinking about jobs. I have a transgendered friend and I feel very strongly about LGBT issues. I am wondering where I can work with those issues as a straight lawyer. Are there any law firms in the New York/New Jersey area or national firms/ organizations that specialize in that area?

bdubs

Re: Law firms that specialize in LGBT issues

Postby bdubs » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:21 am

Firms? Probably not, that sounds like a PI "issue" type of law. The best you would get at a firm is probably some pro bono work, but I would guess that you can probably do that at any firm in NY since they're pretty liberal for the most part.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:55 am

This sounds more like a cause than a career path. As bdubs said, either go PI (unlikely if you're just now trying to do this) or do some pro bono/join an org or whatever. But this isn't firm work.

Lincoln

Postby Lincoln » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:54 am

Agree with what's above. I know someone building a career in this, and that person worked for LGBTQ-focused non-profits both summers, did an LGBTQ-focused clinic, published a note on LGBTQ-issues, did a semester's externship at a national LGBTQ-org, and was heavily involved in on-campus LGBTQ student groups all throughout college and law school. You generally need to build an impressive issues-focused resume to have a chance at the fellowships and staff positions that are the gateways to jobs like this. Doesn't mean you shouldn't do it, but get on it now, and firms won't be the path for it. Good luck!

flcath

Postby flcath » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:45 am

Isn't it like LGBTQQI these days?

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:40 am

I'm in Boston and I've seen several family law firms (small firms) that specialize in LGBT issues (adoptions, estate stuff, etc.).

Lincoln

Postby Lincoln » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:07 am

cinephile wrote:I'm in Boston and I've seen several family law firms (small firms) that specialize in LGBT issues (adoptions, estate stuff, etc.).

This is true, but those aren't necessarily easy to break into if you don't have any experience with those issues. Places like Lambda Legal are great for getting experience. OP, maybe you can try to get an externship there or at a similar organization during your 3L year, but you're going to have to hustle. Your CSO should be able to help.

monkey85

Postby monkey85 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:18 am

In Boston you have:
- Gay and Lesbian Advocates and Defenders (GLAD) as a public interest organization
- Ropes as a law firm, while LGBT issues may not necessarily be the sole work you do, is very open to pro bono work. A Ropes lawyer co-authored the first transgender family law book together with GLAD.

TTH

Postby TTH » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:24 am

This is going to sound awfully Boomer to say, but if you live in a Jx that hasn't legalized gay marriage, there is probably one hell of an underserved market for estate planning for gay couples. If you can get yourself in the door at any estate planning shop, you could build yourself a nice practice.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:45 pm

I don't know if you're interested in working at a firm, but I know Paul Weiss does a lot of pro bono work on LGBT issues. Mostly name-change stuff, but some asylum cases as well. We were also counsel on the Edie Windsor case, which resulted in a Manhattan court striking down DOMA.

/egregious paul weiss trolling

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I don't know if you're interested in working at a firm, but I know Paul Weiss does a lot of pro bono work on LGBT issues. Mostly name-change stuff, but some asylum cases as well. We were also counsel on the Edie Windsor case, which resulted in a Manhattan court striking down DOMA.

/egregious paul weiss trolling

For what it's worth, all the big firms do a lot of pro bono LGBT asylum cases. They're pretty much the most sympathetic cases out there, so they're easy bait for law firm pro bono departments. Nothing against Paul Weiss, just that the exact same sentences could be written about any V30 or so firm.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:10 pm

Among big law firms, Jenner & Block does a ton of high-profile LGBT pro bono (particularly appellate) work. They have a really strong working relationship with Lambda Legal and the culture is very, very LGBT-friendly.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:47 pm

Get a job at a plaintiff's firm and file employment discrimination actions on behalf of LGBTQQI peeps

Return to “Legal Employment”