2Ls w/ Offers - Benefits Package?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

2Ls w/ Offers - Benefits Package?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:55 pm

Just wondering besides the normal bar expenses/stipend of varying amounts, are some firms more generous than others for other types of benefits? E.g. hear rumor that S&C guarantees $100K of mortgage; HK offices offer huge relocation allowances. On the NALP form, there are no details but we all know benefits can vary drastically.

Anonymous User

Re: 2Ls w/ Offers - Benefits Package?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:10 pm

bump - interested also

Do other firms offer a hiring bonus before starting as a first year associate? My firm doesn't offer that but they have a bar stipend (approx. $5K) and pay bar prep fees.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just wondering besides the normal bar expenses/stipend of varying amounts, are some firms more generous than others for other types of benefits? E.g. hear rumor that S&C guarantees $100K of mortgage; HK offices offer huge relocation allowances. On the NALP form, there are no details but we all know benefits can vary drastically.

100K of mortgage gets you a bathroom in NYC right? But not the shower.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just wondering besides the normal bar expenses/stipend of varying amounts, are some firms more generous than others for other types of benefits? E.g. hear rumor that S&C guarantees $100K of mortgage; HK offices offer huge relocation allowances. On the NALP form, there are no details but we all know benefits can vary drastically.

Non-biglaw, but I got the bar expenses/prep stipend, but no mortgage or relocation. That said, I didn't try to negotiate and pretty much took the offer immediately. YMMV

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:45 pm

Do SA's with offers ever negotiate in this current market? I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I have prior work experience and in my market and practice area I was pretty actively sought after for a SA position. I was pretty naive back then and took the first big law offer that came my way out of fear. I just don't want to be taken advantage of, but I suppose I don't really have any plan to shop around or anything either. Having worked before I know if you don't negotiate early, you can regret it later on when you don't have as much leverage.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Do SA's with offers ever negotiate in this current market? I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I have prior work experience and in my market and practice area I was pretty actively sought after for a SA position. I was pretty naive back then and took the first big law offer that came my way out of fear. I just don't want to be taken advantage of, but I suppose I don't really have any plan to shop around or anything either. Having worked before I know if you don't negotiate early, you can regret it later on when you don't have as much leverage.

No. This is laughable. If you want to trade up, you can mass mail/do 3L OCI and try and get another BigLaw job, but no one is going to give you higher pay or special benefits or anything like that. Current associates, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here, but I don't think I am.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:57 pm

My 2L firm, which is not a Biglaw or NALP firm, pays for bar prep and gives you a clothing bonus: money for suits and shirts on your birthday and Christmas. I thought that was neat.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:06 pm

does anyone have details about the SC mortgage benefit? I couldn't find anything on their website or in CB packet.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:11 pm

Doesn't anyone ever ask about health insurance, retirement contributions, other basic benefits? I'm shocked at how little large firms get away with paying.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:does anyone have details about the SC mortgage benefit? I couldn't find anything on their website or in CB packet.

I'm not sure how S&C's works, but DPW will loan you $40k interest free for a downpayment.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:14 pm

my firm gives me a 60k USD special allowance (starting at international office)

shock259

Postby shock259 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Doesn't anyone ever ask about health insurance, retirement contributions, other basic benefits? I'm shocked at how little large firms get away with paying.

I assumed that this stuff never comes up because everything is pretty standard and it is pretty good. But maybe that's not the case.

knowurights

Postby knowurights » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:34 pm

rayiner wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:does anyone have details about the SC mortgage benefit? I couldn't find anything on their website or in CB packet.

I'm not sure how S&C's works, but DPW will loan you $40k interest free for a downpayment.

That's really interesting, and a significant benefit if in the 50-100k range. Being able to put 20% down is generally the biggest challenge in getting attractive rate and loan. This will weigh in my decision, thanks for sharing

Return to “Legal Employment”