Estimated rank at Michigan.

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273142
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Estimated rank at Michigan.

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:39 pm

GPA after first year is 3.266

That's above top-half but below top-third, right?

What's top-third? Someone told me median is 3.19, is that right?

User avatar
starchinkilt
Posts: 361
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:22 am

Re: Estimated rank at Michigan.

Postby starchinkilt » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:10 pm

theres a gpa rank guide sheet under the judicial clerkship part of the careers website.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273142
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Estimated rank at Michigan.

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:14 pm

starchinkilt wrote:theres a gpa rank guide sheet under the judicial clerkship part of the careers website.


I've seen that but it's no use to 1Ls because 2d & 3d year classes are inflated and the median goes up a ways. Am I right?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273142
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Estimated rank at Michigan.

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:
starchinkilt wrote:theres a gpa rank guide sheet under the judicial clerkship part of the careers website.


I've seen that but it's no use to 1Ls because 2d & 3d year classes are inflated and the median goes up a ways. Am I right?


I remember reading somewhere that the 1L median was 3.20 after fall semester, but I don't remember where (the fall 2011 grade curve sheet says the mean class mean for 1Ls was a 3.23). I imagine that you're correct that 3.266 is somewhere above top half but lower than top third. But no one knows for sure, including employers.

detljgh
Posts: 40
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:49 pm

Re: Estimated rank at Michigan.

Postby detljgh » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:22 am

The summer starters have a slightly higher average than everyone else by the time winter semester is over, so the median is actually closer to 3.25. You are basically right at median.

User avatar
FlightoftheEarls
Posts: 857
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:50 pm

Re: Estimated rank at Michigan.

Postby FlightoftheEarls » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:07 pm

detljgh wrote:The summer starters have a slightly higher average than everyone else by the time winter semester is over, so the median is actually closer to 3.25. You are basically right at median.

This. 3.19 is the middle point, but professors have latitude between 3.14 and 3.24. In my experience, most professors aim for the 3.22-24 range if they can, but a few do 3.19 fairly strictly. I would say a 3.22 is as close to the real median as you'll find. For OCI purposes, though, a 3.26 will be considered more-or-less "around median".

Anonymous User
Posts: 273142
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Estimated rank at Michigan.

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:40 pm

FlightoftheEarls wrote:
detljgh wrote:The summer starters have a slightly higher average than everyone else by the time winter semester is over, so the median is actually closer to 3.25. You are basically right at median.

This. 3.19 is the middle point, but professors have latitude between 3.14 and 3.24. In my experience, most professors aim for the 3.22-24 range if they can, but a few do 3.19 fairly strictly. I would say a 3.22 is as close to the real median as you'll find. For OCI purposes, though, a 3.26 will be considered more-or-less "around median".


Agreed--a quick look at the grade curves from the Registrar's Office show this.

Anyone have an idea of where a 3.43 would land?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273142
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Estimated rank at Michigan.

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:58 pm

Bump




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.