Employment Law Question Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
gmr189

New

Employment Law Question

Post by gmr189 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:01 pm

So I am generally interested in employment law (worked for a judge this summer who had previously worked in this area). But as a 1L did not have an opportunity to take any employment related classes. If asked in an interview why employment law what are some good answers to this question? What is the best way to address it in an interview?

anon168

Silver

Re: Employment Law Question

Post by anon168 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:23 pm

gmr189 wrote:So I am generally interested in employment law (worked for a judge this summer who had previously worked in this area). But as a 1L did not have an opportunity to take any employment related classes. If asked in an interview why employment law what are some good answers to this question? What is the best way to address it in an interview?
Don't sweat it. Most 1Ls do not have a chance to take any non-core courses anyways, much less anything employment focused.

gmr189

New

Post by gmr189 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:27 pm

anon168 wrote:
gmr189 wrote:So I am generally interested in employment law (worked for a judge this summer who had previously worked in this area). But as a 1L did not have an opportunity to take any employment related classes. If asked in an interview why employment law what are some good answers to this question? What is the best way to address it in an interview?
Don't sweat it. Most 1Ls do not have a chance to take any non-core courses anyways, much less anything employment focused.

Thanks, part of my reasoning is that I've worked with people with disabilities so thats one of the reasons I want to work in employment law, for the advocacy aspect. But the firms I'm interviewing with represent/counsel employers so I'm having trouble figuring out how to work that in to working for employers on these issues

nevdash

Bronze

Post by nevdash » Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:30 pm

The answer that I give as a 3L who's done a lot of work in employment discrimination is that it's one of the few areas of law (along with criminal law) where the cases revolve around real life stories from people about important events that affect their lives greatly (and it's probably the only area of law that you can practice at a big firm where that's true). That makes it much easier to become engaged in and care about your work than if you were doing, say, corporate law. I've given that answer to a bunch of employment law partners, and all of them seem to agree and say that they chose employment law for the same reason.

gmr189

New

Post by gmr189 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:35 pm

nevdash wrote:The answer that I give as a 3L who's done a lot of work in employment discrimination is that it's one of the few areas of law (along with criminal law) where the cases revolve around real life stories from people about important events that affect their lives greatly (and it's probably the only area of law that you can practice at a big firm where that's true). That makes it much easier to become engaged in and care about your work than if you were doing, say, corporate law. I've given that answer to a bunch of employment law partners, and all of them seem to agree and say that they chose employment law for the same reason.

Thanks! very helpful!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:36 pm

Not OP here. Since we're on the topic of employment law, figured I'd ask a question of my own. One of the firms I'm interviewing with is Littler. I hear different things from different people about whether or not choosing Littler would permanently kill prospects of lateraling into a plaintiff-side office. Thoughts?

anon168

Silver

Post by anon168 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Not OP here. Since we're on the topic of employment law, figured I'd ask a question of my own. One of the firms I'm interviewing with is Littler. I hear different things from different people about whether or not choosing Littler would permanently kill prospects of lateraling into a plaintiff-side office. Thoughts?
Plaintiff's side for employees? Or just plaintiff's work in general?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:40 pm

anon168 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Not OP here. Since we're on the topic of employment law, figured I'd ask a question of my own. One of the firms I'm interviewing with is Littler. I hear different things from different people about whether or not choosing Littler would permanently kill prospects of lateraling into a plaintiff-side office. Thoughts?
Either I suppose. I have some legit employment stuff on my resume, but in the end I just want a job with lots of litigation in the courtroom. Littler seems to do a lot of that but it doesn't look like they keep people on board for partner tracks almost ever, and if I could eventually swing plaintiff then that would be cool.

anon168

Silver

Post by anon168 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
anon168 wrote:
Either I suppose. I have some legit employment stuff on my resume, but in the end I just want a job with lots of litigation in the courtroom. Littler seems to do a lot of that but it doesn't look like they keep people on board for partner tracks almost ever, and if I could eventually swing plaintiff then that would be cool.
It won't foreclose it. It's harder to go the other way (employer to employee), then it is to go from defending employers and then switching to suing them.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”