SA Awkward "Offer"

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

SA Awkward "Offer"

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:48 pm

Medium to large regional mid-law firm. I got great reviews, got along with everyone great etc.

End of SA, told did great job and got offered to continue working through the school year. But no mention AT ALL of a real "offer" for actual employment after graduation.

Now I am in an incredibly awkward spot where I feel committed to the firm, I love it and they have kept me on, but at the same time, I feel like I need to be in chaos freakout mode blitzkrieging the planet with resumes and submitting to the (non-existent) 3L oci, because I really have no post-grad job atm.

My school schedule + work schedule + extra cir. will mean I have extremely little time for anything, let alone networking.

Am I screwed or would it be reasonable for me to assume that a real offer is out there somewhere in the distant future. It sucks that I feel like the job interview process just got extended for several more months...

I wish I could have a real offer or cut my losses and use my spare time to network into a smaller office somewhere else.

Re: SA Awkward "Offer"

Postby kalvano » Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:57 pm

Do 3L OCI, mass mail, look for a real job offer. When you get one, approach the hiring partner at your firm that you like and say "I love working here, but I have this offer from XYZ. I'd much rather work here, but I need to know where I stand. Is there anything you can tell me?"

They know you are looking for a permanent job. Smaller firms sometimes take longer to get formal about everything, but there is nothing wrong with looking in the meantime.

Postby thesealocust » Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:27 pm

Crazy idea: Ask the firm what the prospects are for getting hired after graduation.

Postby badaboom61 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:53 pm

"If I accept your offer to continue working next year, will the firm be able to consider me for permanent employment after graduation?"

Seems like a perfectly appropriate question.

Postby zomginternets » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:19 pm

95% chance that their answer will be vague and non-committal, and will leave you no more sure than if you didn't ask--i.e. "you've done great work, but we'll see what our hiring needs are at the time." That doesn't mean you shouldn't ask, but absolutely do not forgo applying to other jobs until you have a post-grad offer in hand. They haven't committed to you, and you haven't committed to them.

Postby BarbellDreams » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:26 pm

This is very standard for regional midlaw actually. I have a friend who had this happen to him and he worked all through 3L and then continued working as a clerk after the bar (currently still doing it) as the firm still isn't hiring a new attorney but he is obviously #1 on the list.

You need to OCi/mass mail and get an offer from somewhere else, then go to the managing partner and say you love it at your firm and want to stay but you are looking out for the future or whatever and have an offer in hand and need to know what the prospects are of you getting an offer from them. One of the attorneys at a firm I SA'd with did this and they made her an offer within the week.

Return to “Legal Employment”