2L Summer with Federal Reserve Board

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

2L Summer with Federal Reserve Board

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:44 am

Anyone have any insight into what it's like to summer with the Federal Reserve Board in DC? Some questions:

1) What type of work is performed? Obviously the Fed formulates the financial policy of the US... so I'm guessing it's a lot of research? Do interns perform anything close to substantive work, like briefs or filings?

2) Does the Fed have the same intense background check as some other government agencies? I'm talking the polygraph, past drug use as a auto-ding, and interviewing everyone you used to know and live with type of deal.

3) Is hiring still as bleak as other threads from a cursory search would indicate? I know hiring is down everywhere, but are government jobs still as hard to get as they were a year ago? If the internship has zero chance of materializing into an offer, I'd rather not pursue it.

Thanks in advance.

Anonymous User

Re: 2L Summer with Federal Reserve Board

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:37 am

Friendly bump

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:08 pm

+1 Also interested if anyone has any insight.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:18 am

Not OP, but also interested. Also, do they pay? Is there a realistic chance they'll give out a permanent offer at the end of the summer? I have an interview next week but they were pretty sketchy on the details of their program.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Not OP, but also interested. Also, do they pay? Is there a realistic chance they'll give out a permanent offer at the end of the summer? I have an interview next week but they were pretty sketchy on the details of their program.

Met with them a few weeks ago at a screener. Didn't get a great sense of the work, but they do pay and according to the interviewer they pay "well for government."

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Not OP, but also interested. Also, do they pay? Is there a realistic chance they'll give out a permanent offer at the end of the summer? I have an interview next week but they were pretty sketchy on the details of their program.

Met with them a few weeks ago at a screener. Didn't get a great sense of the work, but they do pay and according to the interviewer they pay "well for government."

Believe starting is $110k but not sure how many they hire straight out of law school. I think most of those hired straight out work in the banking reg. If you want to work in enforcement, you'll need a couple years of experience.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:49 pm

I know that other government agencies like the PBGC typically hire their 2L summer legal interns full-time afterwards but were not able to do so last year. Anyone know what the outlook is for future interns?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:51 pm

Bump bump. Anyone hear from the Fed or spend a 2L summer there and cares to share?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:59 pm

Anyone know the hiring schedule for the Fed? Do they more or less follow the Big Law calendar?

Return to “Legal Employment”