How hard is it to get a callback?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How hard is it to get a callback?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:44 am

I know no one can know how hard it is to get a callback for a particular person, but are there any firms known for giving lots of callbacks and then few offers from the callbacks? I have a 3.05 at M (median is 3.19) and am scared about my chances of just getting callbacks...getting nightmares of being the only person at school with no callbacks

AtticusFinch

Re: How hard is it to get a callback?

Postby AtticusFinch » Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:03 am

It is much easier if you send the same resume, three times to the same firm.

fingersxd

Postby fingersxd » Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:26 am

3rd times a charm.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:28 am

omg! :oops: sorry i have no idea why it posted 3 times!

sorry about that. but any serious thoughts?

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:32 am

Wherever thesealocust posted, that was TCR. I'll add to that, the best way to avoid getting shut out of CBs is to throw your hat in the ring more times: massmailing, job fairs, begging for more interviews at OCI, etc.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:34 am

IAFG wrote:Wherever thesealocust posted, that was TCR. I'll add to that, the best way to avoid getting shut out of CBs is to throw your hat in the ring more times: massmailing, job fairs, begging for more interviews at OCI, etc.

thanks so much. when massmailing, if they do not specify what materials they require, do I include a transcript or no? I realize they will need that before they ever offer me an interview, but wondering if it makes a difference if I include or don't include it in the prelim app...

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:
IAFG wrote:Wherever thesealocust posted, that was TCR. I'll add to that, the best way to avoid getting shut out of CBs is to throw your hat in the ring more times: massmailing, job fairs, begging for more interviews at OCI, etc.

thanks so much. when massmailing, if they do not specify what materials they require, do I include a transcript or no? I realize they will need that before they ever offer me an interview, but wondering if it makes a difference if I include or don't include it in the prelim app...

Include your resume with your GPA on it and a scanned-in PDF of your transcripts. I know you don't want to share your GPA, but firms get so many apps, they don't have time to email you back and get the goods. Leaving out transcripts is not going to be an effective campaign.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:19 pm

IAFG wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Include your resume with your GPA on it and a scanned-in PDF of your transcripts. I know you don't want to share your GPA, but firms get so many apps, they don't have time to email you back and get the goods. Leaving out transcripts is not going to be an effective campaign.

This is possibly the worst advice ever. DO NOT INCLUDE YOUR GPA ON YOUR RESUME. When you are mass mailing to secondary markets LEAVE OUT YOUR TRANSCRIPT. Let them request it. That way they are forced to look at your other skills on your resume and something might interest them. This is an auto ding and a waste of time to even mass mail.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
IAFG wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

This is possibly the worst advice ever. DO NOT INCLUDE YOUR GPA ON YOUR RESUME. When you are mass mailing to secondary markets LEAVE OUT YOUR TRANSCRIPT. Let them request it. That way they are forced to look at your other skills on your resume and something might interest them. This is an auto ding and a waste of time to even mass mail.

What makes you say this? Do you do hiring? If not this just sounds stupid.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:31 pm

What makes you say this? Do you do hiring? If not this just sounds stupid.[/quote]

I have a GPA far below median at a T14-below this poster too- and went through OGI last year. I got a callback in a secondary market by not sending my transcript. This is what CSO told me at my school and it worked through experience. Anyone who says anything contradictory is hurting OP's chances.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
I have a GPA far below median at a T14-below this poster too- and went through OGI last year. I got a callback in a secondary market by not sending my transcript. This is what CSO told me at my school and it worked through experience. Anyone who says anything contradictory is hurting OP's chances.

Oh, you got one callback leaving off your GPA? Well then, forget everything I just said! :roll:

Cade McNown

Postby Cade McNown » Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have a GPA far below median

Far below median is much different than below median. OP is only below median. IAFG's advice is credited.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have a GPA far below median at a T14-below this poster too- and went through OGI last year. I got a callback in a secondary market by not sending my transcript. This is what CSO told me at my school and it worked through experience. Anyone who says anything contradictory is hurting OP's chances.

Just say UVA in the future. You're anon, so it really shouldn't matter anyway.

somewhatwayward

Postby somewhatwayward » Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:34 pm

you should include your transcript but don't put your GPA on your resume. at CLS we aren't even allowed to put the GPA on the resume, but you shouldn't hide the ball by not sending the transcript. it makes them suspect the worst.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:37 pm

somewhatwayward wrote:you should include your transcript but don't put your GPA on your resume. at CLS we aren't even allowed to put the GPA on the resume, but you shouldn't hide the ball by not sending the transcript. it makes them suspect the worst.

Aren't allowed to put GPAs on your resume for massmails?!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:44 pm

Cade McNown wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I have a GPA far below median

Far below median is much different than below median. OP is only below median. IAFG's advice is credited.

OP here. I hope you're right and that i'm not far below median, but according to the grading guidelines (--LinkRemoved--) it seems I am around bottom 20+%? :oops: OCS refuses to tell me where I stand because they say it changes year to year and that these are just general guidelines...

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:15 pm

IAFG wrote:
somewhatwayward wrote:you should include your transcript but don't put your GPA on your resume. at CLS we aren't even allowed to put the GPA on the resume, but you shouldn't hide the ball by not sending the transcript. it makes them suspect the worst.

I read stuff like this and wonder why people think their school's guidelines are rules. They can't control how you write your resume. As long as you aren't misrepresenting your information what right would they have in how you present yourself to employers?

somewhatwayward

Postby somewhatwayward » Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:39 pm

Borhas wrote:
IAFG wrote:

I read stuff like this and wonder why people think their school's guidelines are rules. They can't control how you write your resume. As long as you aren't misrepresenting your information what right would they have in how you present yourself to employers?

i don't really know what the rule is wrt mass mails but i haven't had a huge desire to put mine on anyway. since i'm in the top 30%, i can just put stone in honors, which i prefer to putting the actual GPA. i've personally never included my GPA on my resume even though i had a 3.9 at HYP for undergrad bc it strikes me as a little tacky. idk. now i just put PBK but i guess if you don't have a signalling mechanism like stone or PBK, it might be the only way.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:47 pm

The notion that there is a rule for mass mails and that you'd presumably follow it is what I'm talking about

Perseus_I

Postby Perseus_I » Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:38 pm

At UT, the CSO says to include gpa on resume unless it's below 3.0. This thread is interesting. If I left mine off, maybe more firms would be like "let's give this one a look" rather than "how did this one manage to bribe his way onto law review with THAT gpa?!"

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:50 am

GULC also recommends only removing GPA from resume if you're below a 3.0.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:01 am

back to OP's original question though: are there certain firms that are known to be liberal in handing out callbacks? seward and dechert come to mind...or am i mistaken? and do we imagine this year to be better than years past?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:10 am

DPW, cleary, weil.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:16 am

Anonymous User wrote:DPW, cleary, weil.

thanks a lot - where did you get this info from?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:48 pm

Really? Leave off the GPA only if you're below 3.0? So what stops firms from looking at your resume and saying, "This guy has no GPA listed. Suspect!" and just throwing your resume into the trash?

Return to “Legal Employment”