No-offered summer associate. FML

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
keg411

Re: No-offered summer associate. FML

Postby keg411 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:02 pm

rad lulz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:There have been a lot of rumors about Paul Hastings in the last six months or so. I know it's probably of little consolation, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's the next firm to go the direction Greenberg Traurig appears to be heading now.

What direction might that be? I don't know a ton about GT.

I haven't heard anything about major issues at GT and I do know a bit about them. Checked to see if there was anything on ATL today and came up with nothing.

Hodgy

Postby Hodgy » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:05 pm

I think the talk around GT is that they recently had a capital call to raise $24M.

JusticeHarlan

Postby JusticeHarlan » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:05 pm

keg411 wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:There have been a lot of rumors about Paul Hastings in the last six months or so. I know it's probably of little consolation, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's the next firm to go the direction Greenberg Traurig appears to be heading now.

What direction might that be? I don't know a ton about GT.

I haven't heard anything about major issues at GT and I do know a bit about them. Checked to see if there was anything on ATL today and came up with nothing.

Don't know if this is what the anon was referring to or what, but they had a capital call from partners recently.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:06 pm

Fellow SA at above firm did bullshit assignments all summer (no memos, no briefs, mostly spectator assignments) but was in the good graces of a bigshot partner. That SA (probably) got an offer. Another fellow SA got some harsh reviews early on substantive assignments (again, memos + briefs), worked pretty hard the rest of the summer and was no-offered. Bottom line - choose well 1) who you get assignments from and 2) the assignments you actually take on (to the degree you can). Avoid taking on difficult and challenging assignments because you want to "prove" yourself. There is almost no reward if you do well, while if you get even a mediocre review you can kiss your offer goodbye.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:08 pm

The Greenberg Traurig capital call is what I was referencing.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Fellow SA at above firm did bullshit assignments all summer (no memos, no briefs, mostly spectator assignments) but was in the good graces of a bigshot partner. That SA (probably) got an offer. Another fellow SA got some harsh reviews early on substantive assignments (again, memos + briefs), worked pretty hard the rest of the summer and was no-offered. Bottom line - choose well 1) who you get assignments from and 2) the assignments you actually take on (to the degree you can). Avoid taking on difficult and challenging assignments because you want to "prove" yourself. There is almost no reward if you do well, while if you get even a mediocre review you can kiss your offer goodbye.

Did you guys know going in that they did not have room for everyone? This seems really scary and unfair.

Are layoffs for associates just as arbitrary?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:28 pm

The understanding was that there was an offer for everyone. In hindsight, if I was running a law firm I would tell my SA's this as well, to reduce anxiety and competition among the class (even if in reality there were not enough spots for everyone). It is scary. And it was, in my opinion, unfair. I see it as a blessing in disguise though, because I wouldn't want to work in a place like that anyway. Rising 2L's - choose your firm wisely.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The understanding was that there was an offer for everyone. In hindsight, if I was running a law firm I would tell my SA's this as well, to reduce anxiety and competition among the class (even if in reality there were not enough spots for everyone). It is scary. And it was, in my opinion, unfair. I see it as a blessing in disguise though, because I wouldn't want to work in a place like that anyway. Rising 2L's - choose your firm wisely.

Some firms that realize they do not have spots for everyone actually announce that in advance, which I feel is more fair. Then people can start making backup plans during the summer. I now intensely dislike PH and am grateful for my offer from another firm.

Is this in line with their historic behavior for offers or is this a new low?

Also makes me feel nervous about the legal market all over again. Does anyone know if no offers were concentrated among those with certain practice area interests? I'd thought this year would be a good year in terms of offer rates overall.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JusticeHarlan

Postby JusticeHarlan » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Rising 2L's - choose your firm wisely.

Feel free to out firms that no-offer here, for posterity.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:49 pm

JusticeHarlan wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Rising 2L's - choose your firm wisely.

Feel free to out firms that no-offer here, for posterity.

I know one person who was no offered by GT (CA office). Person said performance reviews had been good, was kind of blind sided.

Definitely do your research, especially beyond the NALP forms. Cold offers happen and might skew the numbers.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:52 pm

I think TLS way over hypes cold offers. Seems like most firms are willing to no offer, so there is no reason to cold offer.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:59 pm

Cold offers are also explicitly banned by the NALP rules, for what little that is probably worth.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:00 am

thesealocust wrote:Cold offers are also explicitly banned by the NALP rules, for what little that is probably worth.

And ITE people would just take them anyway. Worst case some assholes paid for your bar fees.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:01 am

On that note...

I have a friend who believes he was cold offered by Latham last week. Partner called him in on the last day and let him know he was getting an offer but that he should look elsewhere because his practice area was "making some cutbacks".

I think that counts as a cold offer.

Edit: Funny part is that his office hadn't even given out offers when that conversation happened. I am not sure if it counts but it sounds like a cold offer.

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:On that note...

I have a friend who believes he was cold offered by Latham last week. Partner called him in on the last day and let him know he was getting an offer but that he should look elsewhere because his practice area was "making some cutbacks".

Yep. Sounds like a cold offer.

As a side note, that firm should never use that phrase ever again.

Edit: Did the partner imply he should look outside the firm or at other practice groups in the firm?
Last edited by CyLaw on Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:04 am

Edit: Funny part is that his office hadn't even given out offers when that conversation happened. I am not sure if it counts but it sounds like a cold offer.

Was the partner in that group? If so, it might just a solid heads up. It's not like Latham didn't no offer people.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:08 am

Desert Fox wrote:

Was the partner in that group? If so, it might just a solid heads up. It's not like Latham didn't no offer people.

The partner was in the group he had worked in most of the summer (which had several SAs).

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:09 am

That doesn't sound like a traditional cold offer at all. Kind of the same effect on the student, but a much sunnier position (maybe the practice area won't get the axe afterall; no stigma whatsoever or double-talk required when looking for other jobs and they ask about your offer at the old one)

sadsituationJD

Postby sadsituationJD » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:17 am

Ah, here we go again! It's gonna be an absolute bloodbath as the inefficient, creaking machinery of these paper-churning mills slowly grinds to a halt as the global economy crashes and burns. Do you really think the Euro Zone crisis is solved? Think things are so rosy here in the USA that companies are going to expand and pay know-nothing 25 year olds 160 K to write idiotic memos on legalese nonsense?

You guys ignored all the scambloggers and the JDU crowd, and now are paying the price. Guess you thought all those horror stories were a laugh, right? That none of it applied to you?

shoeshine

Postby shoeshine » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:19 am

sadsituationJD wrote:Ah, here we go again! It's gonna be an absolute bloodbath as the inefficient, creaking machinery of these paper-churning mills slowly grinds to a halt as the global economy crashes and burns. Do you really think the Euro Zone crisis is solved? Think things are so rosy here in the USA that companies are going to expand and pay know-nothing 25 year olds 160 K to write idiotic memos on legalese nonsense?

You guys ignored all the scambloggers and the JDU crowd, and now are paying the price. Guess you thought all those horror stories were a laugh, right? That none of it applied to you?

U Mad Bro?

KamaalTheAbstract

Postby KamaalTheAbstract » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:21 am

sadsituationJD wrote:Ah, here we go again! It's gonna be an absolute bloodbath as the inefficient, creaking machinery of these paper-churning mills slowly grinds to a halt as the global economy crashes and burns. Do you really think the Euro Zone crisis is solved? Think things are so rosy here in the USA that companies are going to expand and pay know-nothing 25 year olds 160 K to write idiotic memos on legalese nonsense?

Hahaha dude you are so pathetic and hilarious at the same time. You're like some kind of comic book character swooping in out of no where to deliver your schtick.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:28 am

I won't lose too much sleep, thanks. Though I do find it odd you are basically rooting against us.

Loose Seal

Postby Loose Seal » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:40 am

shoeshine wrote:

U Mad Bro?

...Eben Moglen?

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:43 am

romothesavior wrote:

I won't lose too much sleep, thanks. Though I do find it odd you are basically rooting against us.

Credited. Law school's a bad idea, but actively hoping we fail so that you can feel vindicated is pretty shitty.

Return to “Legal Employment”