No-offered summer associate. FML

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
rad lulz

Re: No-offered summer associate. FML

Postby rad lulz » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:09 am

Anonymous User wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Just got no-offered yesterday by a V-50 in major market. Top 40% at a T-10. Spent the rest of the day drinking and contemplating doomsday scenarios. Apparently if you fuck up on one assignment during week one, that failure stays with you the rest of the summer and you get no-offered, even if you hand in excellent work product the rest of the summer.

Condolences, brother.

Which market was it, and was it Baker Botts, Fulbright, or Winston and Strawn?

You implicate Houston by mentioning those firms.

Or Dallas I guess.

Someone at Winston Chicago mentioned there might be no-offers this year.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:15 am

rad lulz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Just got no-offered yesterday by a V-50 in major market. Top 40% at a T-10. Spent the rest of the day drinking and contemplating doomsday scenarios. Apparently if you fuck up on one assignment during week one, that failure stays with you the rest of the summer and you get no-offered, even if you hand in excellent work product the rest of the summer.

Condolences, brother.

Which market was it, and was it Baker Botts, Fulbright, or Winston and Strawn?

You implicate Houston by mentioning those firms.

Or Dallas I guess.

Someone at Winston Chicago mentioned there might be no-offers this year.

I've seen some hints that BB no-offered a few summers on this board, but no elaboration. Any info on V&E?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:20 am

I feel for you, almost the same scenario for me as well. Messed up on my first assignment and even though I turned it around it wasn't enough I guess

katjust

Postby katjust » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:22 am

rad lulz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Don't worry, you're not the only one. I got no-offered, too. :(

Reasoning?

Shut up douche-bag loser!

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:30 am

katjust wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Don't worry, you're not the only one. I got no-offered, too. :(

Reasoning?

Shut up douche-bag loser!

That Portland weather contributing to your butthurt?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:14 pm

Thanks for the kind words. There's no turning it around, apparently. In fact, I did two more assignments for the attorney who gave me the bad review on that first assignment. She gave me excellent reviews on the subsequent assignments, both of which were substantially more significant than the first. I thought I had redeemed myself, but clearly I had not.

Going to start mass-mailing so I can land an awesome job where this type of shenanigan can happen to me again.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:17 pm

And, my SA firm was not any of the firms or in any of the markets listed above. I'll just specify further that it's a V-30.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:34 pm

grrrstick wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

This just seems ridiculous. Lawl School teaches you nothing about what it means to be an actual associate. Firms know this. So the fact that they would no offer you because of a mistake you made your first week on the job is insane. I know there is a steep learning curve but this just seems unreasonable. If you were still making those same mistakes weeks into the job, maybe.

The work thing is probably an excuse. There is probably a significant aspie factor going on.

I agree. Bad work product is probably an excuse for "we don't like you" or "we can't afford to hire you, and we can't afford to have you telling people we couldn't afford to hire you."

I'm inclined to lean more toward the latter because, from what I saw in my own SA's, the we don't like you excuse usually comes out as "you weren't what we were looking for/we just decided we were going in a different direction."

A lot of firms aren't doing as well as it looks on the surface right now...

Postby 09042014 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks for the kind words. There's no turning it around, apparently. In fact, I did two more assignments for the attorney who gave me the bad review on that first assignment. She gave me excellent reviews on the subsequent assignments, both of which were substantially more significant than the first. I thought I had redeemed myself, but clearly I had not.

Going to start mass-mailing so I can land an awesome job where this type of shenanigan can happen to me again.

You either did someone thing else to piss them off, or they were looking to get rid of some summers and you happened to be the only one who got a bad review.

No firm who was looking to offer everyone if they did a decent job would no offer you just for messing up one assignment after you got excellent reviews from that attorney after that.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:37 pm

paul hastings? I got no-offered there after messing up my first assignment.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:paul hastings? I got no-offered there after messing up my first assignment.

Which office? This year?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:47 pm

This year, non-LA CA

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:paul hastings? I got no-offered there after messing up my first assignment.

Got no offered there too for messing up one assignment and for grades. How the fuck did I pick the one firm that actually cares about grades

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Got no offered there too for messing up one assignment and for grades. How the fuck did I pick the one firm that actually cares about grades

Which office? Damn, I summered there.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:30 pm

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:31 pm

First assignment wasn't the fake memo was it?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:First assignment wasn't the fake memo was it?

First one after that, in a different department than mine.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

First one after that, in a different department than mine.

Does anyone know how many no offers there were firm wide?

Man, I owe an associate big time. He wrote me a decent review when I fucked up fairly bad. Good guy.

somewhatwayward

Postby somewhatwayward » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:35 pm

a fake memo? WTF?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:36 pm

There have been a lot of rumors about Paul Hastings in the last six months or so. I know it's probably of little consolation, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's the next firm to go the direction Greenberg Traurig appears to be heading now.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:39 pm

somewhatwayward wrote:

a fake memo? WTF?

They assigned a fake memo to all summers globally to "teach" how to write a legal memo. We were supposed to get good feedback from good writers at the firm. I didn't get feedback until week 6.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:41 pm

They assigned a fake memo to all summers globally to "teach" how to write a legal memo. We were supposed to get good feedback from good writers at the firm. I didn't get feedback until week 6.

Ditto. And I was told I did great then given no tips. Then no-offered.

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
somewhatwayward wrote:

a fake memo? WTF?

They told them the memo was fake from the beginning, right?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:52 pm

CyLaw wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
somewhatwayward wrote:
a fake memo? WTF?

They told them the memo was fake from the beginning, right?

Yea. It was like a LRW assignment. They even gave us teh cases.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:There have been a lot of rumors about Paul Hastings in the last six months or so. I know it's probably of little consolation, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's the next firm to go the direction Greenberg Traurig appears to be heading now.

What direction might that be? I don't know a ton about GT.

Return to “Legal Employment”