No-offered summer associate. FML

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
rad lulz

Re: No-offered summer associate. FML

Postby rad lulz » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:49 pm

TruckerD wrote:Not Bham, a bigger market.

Mind just saying it?

Postby 09042014 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:59 pm

TruckerD wrote:Thanks Y'all. I found out that at least 3 of the SA's did not get offers. I wonder if I can get away with saying that to other firms?

I would definitely mention it.

"They said it wasn't my work product or personality, they just couldn't afford it. At least three out of four of the other summers got no offered as well."

jeeptiger09

Postby jeeptiger09 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:32 pm

TruckerD wrote:Not Bham, a bigger market.

Atlanta? Sorry just curious because I am in one of these similar markets. And Atlanta has been a bloodbath lately with deferrals, so if it is ATL, the firm may be telling the truth.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:22 pm

No offer checking in. Totally blindsided by it because I got nothing but positive reviews from the people who go back to me. It seems I missed/combined some issues on a memo that was considered a problem, but I never heard about it. Apparently I didn't take enough notes (not none, just not enough) during the meeting and that was seen as a bad sign when combined with the missed issue.

Feeling really conflicted because I liked the people at my firm and the other summers, but feel like I got hosed by 1 or 2 associates who just didn't bother to tell me I screwed up (and simultaniously wrote notes in my file to the effect that I did). One of these memos was before my mid summer review where I was told I had nothing to worry about...

No "fit" or personality issues.

School in 14-25 range, top 10% + LR. Feeling waaaaaaaaaay behind on clerkships but I guess that is my best option...

[edit for clarity: it seems like there were two memos where the reviewers said the same thing. Heard from one last week of the summer. Never heard from second one.]
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

somewhatwayward

Postby somewhatwayward » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:No offer checking in. Totally blindsided by it because I got nothing but positive reviews from the people who go back to me. It seems I missed/combined some issues on a memo that was considered a problem, but I never heard about it. Apparently I didn't take enough notes (not none, just not enough) during the meeting and that was seen as a bad sign when combined with the missed issue.

Feeling really conflicted because I liked the people at my firm and the other summers, but feel like I got hosed by 1 or 2 associates who just didn't bother to tell me I screwed up (and simultaniously wrote notes in my file to the effect that I did). One of these memos was before my mid summer review where I was told I had nothing to worry about...

School in 14-25 range, top 10% + LR. Feeling waaaaaaaaaay behind on clerkships but I guess that is my best option...

man that sucks....which market?

you sound well-positioned for a clerkship, though

TruckerD

Postby TruckerD » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:16 pm

Yeah Atlanta... don't know why I didn't just say it before. It was pretty messed up, at least 3 of 8 got no offer, and the firm basically told us all summer that we would get an offer unless we did something awful. Makes me wonder if I did something I didn't realize ... but I definitely don't think the others that were dropped did anything, so I probably didn't either lol.

somewhatwayward

Postby somewhatwayward » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:25 pm

TruckerD wrote:Yeah Atlanta... don't know why I didn't just say it before. It was pretty messed up, at least 3 of 8 got no offer, and the firm basically told us all summer that we would get an offer unless we did something awful. Makes me wonder if I did something I didn't realize ... but I definitely don't think the others that were dropped did anything, so I probably didn't either lol.

:(
it's not cool to promise all summer that there would be offers for everyone and then not do it. at least be up front about it.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:38 pm

Not trying to dampen the mood anymore, but won't some judges find out about some of these no offers? Wouldn't that hurt clerkship chances? (It just strikes me that the "do clerkship bro" advice might be made even harder than it normally is with a no offer.)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:43 pm

somewhatwayward wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:No offer checking in. Totally blindsided by it because I got nothing but positive reviews from the people who go back to me. It seems I missed/combined some issues on a memo that was considered a problem, but I never heard about it. Apparently I didn't take enough notes (not none, just not enough) during the meeting and that was seen as a bad sign when combined with the missed issue.

LA, but firm is nationwide.

Hoping the clerkship thing works, but as Richie mentioned I feel like judges will find out about the no offers. Other problem is that I didn't get published or crush Fed Courts, so who knows.

somewhatwayward

Postby somewhatwayward » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
somewhatwayward wrote:

LA, but firm is nationwide.

Hoping the clerkship thing works, but as Richie mentioned I feel like judges will find out about the no offers. Other problem is that I didn't get published or crush Fed Courts, so who knows.

i don't remember where i saw it, but someone said that judges rarely (maybe never?) asked about whether s/he got an offer from summer firm....definitely worth a shot

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:12 pm

i'm pretty sure people in this thread have said they were never asked about no offers during clerkship interviews. i suppose it makes sense, as it's not uncommon at all to seek a clerkship after receiving an offer, unlike 3L OCI where people "trading up" are probably the exception.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:15 pm

The problem with "just do a clerkship, bro" is that some dudebro at M, say, can get big lulz, but ain't gonna pull AIII.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:19 pm

rad lulz wrote:The problem with "just do a clerkship, bro" is that some dudebro at M, say, can get big lulz, but ain't gonna pull AIII.

yup. top 10% LR vandy dude is probably fine, though.

JusticeHarlan

Postby JusticeHarlan » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:19 pm

fatduck wrote:i'm pretty sure people in this thread have said they were never asked about no offers during clerkship interviews. i suppose it makes sense, as it's not uncommon at all to seek a clerkship after receiving an offer, unlike 3L OCI where people "trading up" are probably the exception.

Yup, earlier in this thread.

The cynic in me says it's pretty common to note on a resume whether an offer was extended so there's no need to ask, but then again I have no trouble believing that a lot of judges just don't care.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:33 pm

fatduck wrote:
rad lulz wrote:The problem with "just do a clerkship, bro" is that some dudebro at M, say, can get big lulz, but ain't gonna pull AIII.

lol that's not me.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:36 pm

rad lulz wrote:
fatduck wrote:

lol that's not me.

i'm talking about the anon dude above who got no offered for "not taking enough notes on his shitty assignments" which is obviously code for not being bro enough. we know you're good to go.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:55 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Tanicius wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I'm sure it couldn't've been, but it was all they were willing to tell me. Very suspicious.

You probably pissed someone off, or have aspergers. But telling you it was grades was kind of a blessing. You can walk into an interview and say "they said it was only my grades that was the problem."

I dunno. The people in the interview would probably come to the same conclusion you just did.

Maybe. But I've done 9 screeners for 3LOLCI and 7 didn't even ask about offers. So they might not care that much.

How'd you get 9 screeners? Mind sharing the firms? CLS didn't even offer that many for 3Ls, unless you had an IP background.

Lieut Kaffee

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Maybe. But I've done 9 screeners for 3LOLCI and 7 didn't even ask about offers. So they might not care that much.

How'd you get 9 screeners? Mind sharing the firms? CLS didn't even offer that many for 3Ls, unless you had an IP background.

Patent Fair is TCR.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

IP background at the patent fair.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:37 am

Just got no-offered yesterday by a V-50 in major market. Top 40% at a T-10. Spent the rest of the day drinking and contemplating doomsday scenarios. Apparently if you fuck up on one assignment during week one, that failure stays with you the rest of the summer and you get no-offered, even if you hand in excellent work product the rest of the summer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:56 am

If it helps, I never got asked about an offer from the firm during my clerkship interviews (did receive/accept an offer but didn't denote it on my resumes). Hope this helps.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:Just got no-offered yesterday by a V-50 in major market. Top 40% at a T-10. Spent the rest of the day drinking and contemplating doomsday scenarios. Apparently if you fuck up on one assignment during week one, that failure stays with you the rest of the summer and you get no-offered, even if you hand in excellent work product the rest of the summer.

This just seems ridiculous. Lawl School teaches you nothing about what it means to be an actual associate. Firms know this. So the fact that they would no offer you because of a mistake you made your first week on the job is insane. I know there is a steep learning curve but this just seems unreasonable. If you were still making those same mistakes weeks into the job, maybe.

grrrstick

Postby grrrstick » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Just got no-offered yesterday by a V-50 in major market. Top 40% at a T-10. Spent the rest of the day drinking and contemplating doomsday scenarios. Apparently if you fuck up on one assignment during week one, that failure stays with you the rest of the summer and you get no-offered, even if you hand in excellent work product the rest of the summer.

This just seems ridiculous. Lawl School teaches you nothing about what it means to be an actual associate. Firms know this. So the fact that they would no offer you because of a mistake you made your first week on the job is insane. I know there is a steep learning curve but this just seems unreasonable. If you were still making those same mistakes weeks into the job, maybe.

The work thing is probably an excuse. There is probably a significant aspie factor going on.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:05 am

Condolences, brother.

Which market was it, and was it Baker Botts, Fulbright, or Winston and Strawn?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:08 am

rad lulz wrote:

Condolences, brother.

Which market was it, and was it Baker Botts, Fulbright, or Winston and Strawn?

You implicate Houston by mentioning those firms.

Return to “Legal Employment”