No-offered summer associate. FML Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Myself

Silver

Post by Myself » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:45 pm

Last edited by Myself on Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

Anonymous User

Re: No-offered summer associate. FML

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:18 pm

ajax adonis wrote:My mentor actually told me that back in the day when he summered, he had a friend who did accept a cold offer!
There was somebody at my V5 summer firm who was given a cold offer, but he still accepted the offer, showed up in the fall after graduation, and worked there for years.

Tanicius

Gold

Post by Tanicius » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
ajax adonis wrote:My mentor actually told me that back in the day when he summered, he had a friend who did accept a cold offer!
There was somebody at my V5 summer firm who was given a cold offer, but he still accepted the offer, showed up in the fall after graduation, and worked there for years.
How... is that a thing?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:36 am

One thing I want to know is how long we have to really deal with a no offer. For example, let's say I get a clerkship and am then looking for a firm job. Presumably I will have to tell them I didn't get an offer at my SA if they directly ask, but at what point is it acceptable to just say "the firm [size, culture, whatever] wasn't for me" (especially if this really is true)?

I'm not advocating lying or papering up the no offer, but at a certain point it seems unfair to have to keep talking about it -- we were not offered a job, not fired.

Make sense?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:37 am

Tanicius wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
How... is that a thing?
At my V5, a cold offer is couched as "you're getting an offer, but please go somewhere else." I can see someone accepting their offer and the firm abiding by the offer because it's not worth it to them to fight it. When you've got 130+ SA's, it's not really worth the potential bad press for a single SA.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tanicius wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
How... is that a thing?
At my V5, a cold offer is couched as "you're getting an offer, but please go somewhere else." I can see someone accepting their offer and the firm abiding by the offer because it's not worth it to them to fight it. When you've got 130+ SA's, it's not really worth the potential bad press for a single SA.
i've heard of people accepting cold offers, but what i find surprising is the "worked there for years" part. wouldn't the firm find some way of letting you go the first year?

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:30 pm

f0bolous wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Tanicius wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
How... is that a thing?
i've heard of people accepting cold offers, but what i find surprising is the "worked there for years" part. wouldn't the firm find some way of letting you go the first year?
If you end up being good, why wouldn't the firm just jettison an underperforming peer instead? No offer is (or should be, if the powers that be have any brains) water under the bridge once they actually start, let the real thing decide who stays and goes if they're gonna be there anyway

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:52 pm

Edited, see apology below.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:53 pm

stratocophic wrote:
f0bolous wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Tanicius wrote: How... is that a thing?
If you end up being good, why wouldn't the firm just jettison an underperforming peer instead? No offer is (or should be, if the powers that be have any brains) water under the bridge once they actually start, let the real thing decide who stays and goes if they're gonna be there anyway
First anon in this chain. The guy struck out at OCI, thought "what the hell," showed up, and they treated him like any other associate. He mistakenly acted like a jackass during his summer because he thought an offer was set in stone, but ended up being a solid associate. I was told that he was "far from the first associate to have 'accepted' his cold offer and actually last a reasonable amount of time." Of course, YMMV.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Wow, this is pretty sobering. I feel awful for everyone who's been no-offered, and wish you all the best of luck in finding something soon.

Was positive I was also going to get no-offered, and then wound up with an offer this morning. Fairly surprised, but I didn't like my time at the firm (V40) so I'll be going somewhere else post-grad. Goes to show you can be surprised in the other direction in the same way you can be blindsided by a no-offer.
SO HUMBLE

Gorki

Silver

Post by Gorki » Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tanicius wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
How... is that a thing?
I wonder if someone at a firm with 3-6 SAs has ever done anything like this... So awkward, but so lol.

Machine Spirit

Bronze

Post by Machine Spirit » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:09 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Wow, this is pretty sobering. I feel awful for everyone who's been no-offered, and wish you all the best of luck in finding something soon.

Was positive I was also going to get no-offered, and then wound up with an offer this morning. Fairly surprised, but I didn't like my time at the firm (V40) so I'll be going somewhere else post-grad. Goes to show you can be surprised in the other direction in the same way you can be blindsided by a no-offer.
SO HUMBLE
He's the truest victim here.

goodolgil

Silver

Post by goodolgil » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:09 pm

Seems worth it to accept just to have your bar fees, etc... paid if nothing else.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:14 pm

I'm glad you added this perspective to the thread, BROTHER. Very helpful, and great for keeping it all in perspective. Your experience with you PREFTIGIOUS V40 is extremely applicable to those without offers.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:31 pm

Really? There was no better thread to post your anony-brag in?

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:07 pm

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:08 pm

really want to know who this anonybitch is, but its probably some nobody with 10 posts

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:19 pm

fatduck wrote:really want to know who this anonybitch is, but its probably some nobody with 10 posts
I was that guy. Really, really want to apologize. Was trying to commiserate and ended up sounding like an absolute fuckwad. I'm really, honestly sorry, and understand that what I said makes me sound like a total and complete asshole. Want to apologize to Rad in particular.

Truly, actually sorry. I feel legitimately bad, and like a total dick. I hope you'll accept the apology, and if not (which I understand), please know that I didn't mean to be an asshole. I certainly came off that way, though.

I would really prefer not to be outed, because I'm normally a nice person on these forums, and genuinely didn't mean to be hurtful (which the admins should be able to see if they look at my post history). I fucked up, and it won't happen again. Again, I'm sorry, and feel terrible.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:45 pm

It came off poorly, but I read that as being unintentional.

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:It came off poorly, but I read that as being unintentional.
Sweet use of anon.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:07 pm

Has any no-offeree here completed a 3L callback interview yet? I'm wondering how that tends to go. Answering questions about the no-offer 5 times must be rough and make you feel defensive. I have one next week and am wondering how it's going to go.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has any no-offeree here completed a 3L callback interview yet? I'm wondering how that tends to go. Answering questions about the no-offer 5 times must be rough and make you feel defensive. I have one next week and am wondering how it's going to go.
I've had one so far and they asked me bluntly if I got an offer. Just be prepared for it and have an answer ready so it doesn't get awkward.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:41 pm

I was no offered. Depressed.

somewhatwayward

Silver

Post by somewhatwayward » Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:13 pm

^
just now? 1L or 2L? I'm sorry to hear that. That sucks.

What are next steps for you?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:17 pm

somewhatwayward wrote:^
just now? 1L or 2L? I'm sorry to hear that. That sucks.

What are next steps for you?
Yes...1L. My CB's are almost dry. Applying to any jobs now.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”