Vandy OCI Interviews

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Vandy OCI Interviews

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Rad, do a lot of people end up dropping interviews?

eta: I'm curious because a lot of people in my interviews have top grades but no connections to my target market and I'm curious if they will drop some when they realize they got all the interviews they ACTUALLY wanted!

I think your (our?) best hope is that those people with top grades who worked at a firm during 1L summer get offers before OCI and cancel then. I don't think anyone without an offer will drop an interview just because they got many other interviews. At the least, each interview is an opportunity to practice.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:33 pm

Slightly above median, law review. 7 interviews. Not that happy.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

eta: I'm curious because a lot of people in my interviews have top grades but no connections to my target market and I'm curious if they will drop some when they realize they got all the interviews they ACTUALLY wanted!

I think your (our?) best hope is that those people with top grades who worked at a firm during 1L summer get offers before OCI and cancel then. I don't think anyone without an offer will drop an interview just because they got many other interviews. At the least, each interview is an opportunity to practice.

I know someone with ~20 interviews (top grades, lr) who is dropping quite a few.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:48 pm

I picked up K&S ATL off the WL, so someone must have dropped, but I get the impression that people generally don't. People who have good enough grades to get like Bradley Nashville still sometimes want to have a go at major mkts.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Slightly above median, law review. 7 interviews. Not that happy.

LR isn't a magic bullet. Depending on what markets you bid and in what order you did your bids (you may have done a blah job), that could be fairly normal.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:59 pm

Also for all you OCI worriers I struck out at OCI with 15+ OCI interviews (only 1 CB) but ended up with multiple offers outside of OCI. So yall better be doing outside-of-OCI stuff. Relying on OCI as your primary job search method at Vandy is folly.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:24 am

rad lulz wrote:Also for all you OCI worriers I struck out at OCI with 15+ OCI interviews (only 1 CB) but ended up with multiple offers outside of OCI. So yall better be doing outside-of-OCI stuff. Relying on OCI as your primary job search method at Vandy is folly.

Is 15 OCI with 1 CB a typical outcome?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:

This will hopefully be true for me. I only used about 10 bids because I fully expect to get an offer from my 1L firm and I didn't want to muddy the pool beyond what was necessary. Once I hear back, I will drop three or four of my OCI interviews to free up those spots for classmates. I am keeping the remaining interviews because I'd like to split between two cities next summer to decide where I want to be.

Bottom line, I'm trying to help out classmates as much as I can. Good luck!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:52 am

Bit confused. Hoping someone will clarify.

Once people drop, if firms have a waitlist a replacement candidate will be plucked from the list, right? Does it matter whether the person dropping was a pre-select or lottery?

And if the firm doesn't have a waitlist, does it automatically then get thrown into the open sign up period? And if so, is that first-come, first-serve?

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:
rad lulz wrote:Also for all you OCI worriers I struck out at OCI with 15+ OCI interviews (only 1 CB) but ended up with multiple offers outside of OCI. So yall better be doing outside-of-OCI stuff. Relying on OCI as your primary job search method at Vandy is folly.

Is 15 OCI with 1 CB a typical outcome?

Probably not, but there is no amount of interviews where you are "safe" is all.

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:22 am

To follow what rad said:

You don't have a job until you have a job.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:44 am

Did anyone get any interviews off the waitlist yet? It's supposed to have happened around now.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:Did anyone get any interviews off the waitlist yet? It's supposed to have happened around now.

negatory.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:25 pm

everyday oci gets closer, i get closer to a mild panic attack.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:27 pm

Bummer, I was hoping I'd get a waitlist interview. I did pick up one of the open sign-up slots. JAG and that Public Defender still have spots I think.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Did anyone get any interviews off the waitlist yet? It's supposed to have happened around now.

Nope.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:31 pm

i really wish we had a book of what gpas/credentials got jobs at specific firms in the past, like other schools do.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:37 pm

Calling Rad/other Vandy ppl who've been through OCI...

About how long does it take after the screener to hear if you're getting a cb or not?

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Calling Rad/other Vandy ppl who've been through OCI...

About how long does it take after the screener to hear if you're getting a cb or not?

Day or 2 usually.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:40 pm

rad lulz wrote:

Day or 2 usually.

Do they send ding letters as well?

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

Day or 2 usually.

Do they send ding letters as well?

I think I got ding letter from everyone but I wasn't really paying attention.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:10 pm

I was just automatically added to an interview schedule off of the waitlist, so there is hope.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:45 am

Do we have hospitality suites like at other schools or are they pointless because there is a preselect element to screeners?

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:53 am

Anonymous User wrote:Do we have hospitality suites like at other schools or are they pointless because there is a preselect element to screeners?

The only hospitality suites I remember from last year were KS, A&B, Jones Day, and Milbank.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:01 pm

rad lulz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Do we have hospitality suites like at other schools or are they pointless because there is a preselect element to screeners?

The only hospitality suites I remember from last year were KS, A&B, Jones Day, and Milbank.

I'm pretty sure Sutherland is having one this year. I applied for an office not coming to OCI and they told me to come by their "suite" and drop off my resume.

Return to “Legal Employment”