2L and 3L courses

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

2L and 3L courses

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:44 pm

What courses are an absolute must for someone who wants to work v100?

kaiser

Re: 2L and 3L courses

Postby kaiser » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What courses are an absolute must for someone who wants to work v100?

Nothing is a must, though some courses have more applicability than others. It can't hurt to take courses like evidence, corporations, professional responsibility, etc. at some point. But nothing is an absolute must (which is typical of law school's overall disconnect between courses and actual preparation for the practice of law)

TTH

Postby TTH » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:02 pm

As a starting point, I'd say it's a good idea for any lawyer to have evidence, tax, and corporations under their belt. If you're at a school that doesn't cover all of K's or Civ Pro in the first year, those are good ideas, too. As far as the purely elective courses, there's no definite requirements. Strike a balance between useful and difficult.

Admin Law will likely be useful at some point, but it's loaded with gunners. Fed Courts is not as immediately important, but equally gunnery. You'll probably deal with shit covered in UCC courses throughout your career, but they aren't prestige courses at law school. You'll use the basic points from Wills at parties attended by non-lawyers your whole life, so avoid taking it and claim ignorance.

I guess take securities and M&A if you want to do corporate.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:01 pm

In addition to some of the classes mentioned, SecReg is pretty much a definite for big firm work (corporate or lit). I wasn't going to take it originally because I wanted to load up on easier courses 3L year, but after my SA, I'm definitely taking it in the Spring (where it fits my schedule).

Tax and the UCC courses seem unnecessary, but I supposed it depends what you want to do. Some type of basic finance course (or a seminar along those lines) is also helpful. If your school offers it, pre-trial advocacy or anything that teaches discovery/motion practice if you plan to do litigation.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:57 pm

Had a CB interview at a V30 where the co-hiring partner grilled me on the courses I was taking. She said, "Are your 2L courses substantive and corporaty?" I listed my courses (some yes, some no) and gave her the list, and she wrote something down.

I am beginning to think that the courses you choose help indicate your interest in what the firm does, and not taking relevant courses can hurt your chances. I have been asked a variation of this question twice and wish I had known more about this going in (I am taking 2 corporate related classes, a public interest class, and a clinic).
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TTH

Postby TTH » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Had a CB interview at a V30 where the co-hiring partner grilled me on the courses I was taking. She said, "Are your 2L courses substantive and corporaty?" I listed my courses (some yes, some no) and gave her the list, and she wrote something down.

I think the courses you take matter more than you think.

Wagering that you might have been the exception, not the rule.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:01 pm

TTH wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Had a CB interview at a V30 where the co-hiring partner grilled me on the courses I was taking. She said, "Are your 2L courses substantive and corporaty?" I listed my courses (some yes, some no) and gave her the list, and she wrote something down.

I think the courses you take matter more than you think.

Wagering that you might have been the exception, not the rule.

This may be true because my resume is very, very PI heavy.

Detrox

Postby Detrox » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:38 pm

Going to depend on the firm/interviewer/applicant background. Most firms don't care and will just look at your 1L and possibly make sure you're not only taking Erotic Literature and the Law. Some interviewers will want to see that you're taking evidence if you're expressing interest in litigation. Tax will obviously want to see tax. People with PI backgrounds may want to enroll in some Corporate-ish classes to show an interest in private practice. But generally I agree with the views in this thread, classes are far less important than overall grades, experience, interview ability, and other misc.

Return to “Legal Employment”