Williams & Connolly screener

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Williams & Connolly screener

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:18 pm

I've read that they sometimes do unexpected things like switch interviewers in the middle of the screener, or just broach odd topics. I did use the search function to learn more about this subject, and learned the thing I just stated, but not really any more than that. Does anyone have any experience or know of reliable people who have had screeners with them? If the stories are myth and it's a typical screener that's fine too, I just want to know what to expect.

Also, the screener is in the evening - and they are doing them late, like up until 8-something. I didn't know that even happened.

Georgiana

Re: Williams & Connolly screener

Postby Georgiana » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:26 pm

My screener with them was pretty normal. I screwed it up pretty hardcore when he asked why law firm instead of government/PI. Don't tell them you want to go to a firm for great training opportunities... they don't train you, they throw you to the wolves :) After that question we both knew it wasn't a good fit and just chatted for the remaining 15 mins.

Good luck!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:32 pm

Georgiana wrote:My screener with them was pretty normal. I screwed it up pretty hardcore when he asked why law firm instead of government/PI. Don't tell them you want to go to a firm for great training opportunities... they don't train you, they throw you to the wolves :) After that question we both knew it wasn't a good fit and just chatted for the remaining 15 mins.

Good luck!

whats the best answer to this question?

funkyturds

Postby funkyturds » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Georgiana wrote:My screener with them was pretty normal. I screwed it up pretty hardcore when he asked why law firm instead of government/PI. Don't tell them you want to go to a firm for great training opportunities... they don't train you, they throw you to the wolves :) After that question we both knew it wasn't a good fit and just chatted for the remaining 15 mins.

Good luck!

"i like being thrown to the wolves"

Younger Abstention

Postby Younger Abstention » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:57 pm

Good luck!

Really? I wouldn't shy away from using this answer with other firms, guys. That was usually my answer to that question during OCI and it tended to work pretty well. Actually, big firms are known not to throw you to the wolves like smaller firms, gov., and PI. Because there is just too much money at stake.

Georgiana

Postby Georgiana » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:15 pm

Younger Abstention wrote:

Good luck!

Really? I wouldn't shy away from using this answer with other firms, guys. That was usually my answer to that question during OCI and it tended to work pretty well. Actually, big firms are known not to throw you to the wolves like smaller firms, gov., and PI. Because there is just too much money at stake.

That answer is good for pretty much every firm... just not Williams & Connolly. I also didn't do any research on them bc somehow I missed the fact that I had an interview and didn't really prepare. I was focusing on IP practices at the time and Williams just was not on my radar, I think I bid it near the bottom but it wasn't heavily bid so I got the interview anyway and figured it was good for practice even if I knew I didn't want to work there.

Georgiana

Postby Georgiana » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Good luck!

You can also say something like wanting the ability to try different practice areas (again not at Williams & Connolly).

Specifically at Williams & Connolly I think a good answer is to talk about wanting to get real experience in high profile, complex cases as soon as possible and a desire to learn by doing.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:24 pm

Hey Georgiana,

Thanks very much for your help. Are there any other things you recall from the screener that might be useful? Also, do you remember whom you met with?

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:25 pm

The interview probably won't be wildly different than other firms. Even if they do the switch interviewer thing, they'll tell you in advance and it's not all that different.

There are some obvious things to know (they basically only do lit, they basically require a clerkship, they value maturity and discretion) but that doesn't really change how you interview with them much (I mean, try not to mention a burning desire to do corporate?).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:29 pm

Well, the "thrown to the wolves" thing is unusual, and doesn't seem to be common knowledge here, though I think I saw it mentioned on Vault. I was just wondering if there are other things that might be traps for the unwary interviewee. Do they dislike people who seem government-y and who might go off and work for an administration someday? Some firms love that shit, like Wilmer, but maybe W&C wants its people to stay there forever - I know that they take no lateral associates and few lateral partners, so they must intend a higher Associate-to-partner conversion rate, which is more realistic when you're less leveraged..

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:35 pm

It's never a good idea to tell any firm you're planning to leave for the government, or any reason. You also don't want to tell them you expect to make partner. It's just the unwritten etiquette. There's no shibboleth.

The "thrown to the wolves" comment isn't something magic that you can play up in an interview. And it's bullshit that they "don't train you" - they do, and they especially like to talk up the ability to get training via pro bono. But then... so do basically all firms.

If you try to treat the interview like some strange new entity you'll probably just get tripped up and come across as unnatural. Just have a conversation and express your interest in the firm. It's much easier to do with a firm like W&C because it's actually different from many other firms.

Georgiana

Postby Georgiana » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hey Georgiana,

Thanks very much for your help. Are there any other things you recall from the screener that might be useful? Also, do you remember whom you met with?

It was with this guy http://www.wc.com/kbrown (thank you gmail for saving everything ever). He was an associate at the time so I'm not sure they would still send him now that he's a a partner. In my notes I have that its a free market system and that summers are encouraged to attend trial and other "real" experiences. I think an insightful question is to ask them to distinguish themselves from other prominent litigation places (boutiques and places like Kirkland) and explain how the experience at W&C is different. I'd also ask whether atty's tend to specialize in one area of litigation or if they tend to be more of a generalist practice.

I would shy away from talking about what you want to do after a law firm in pretty much all OCI interviews, I don't think there is much to gain from it and doubt many interviewers would even ask.

He literally said "You know we don't train you, right? We think the best way for you to learn how to take a deposition is for you to take a real deposition." Maybe it was this specific guy, but the people I know from Williams are all very intense and it was clear from day 1 that they would be litigators.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:44 pm

I can imagine a hands-off approach to first year associates, but don't understand how that works for SAs, who can't actually do a deposition or any of the other learn-by-doing experiences. Did you discuss that with your interviewer at all?

Georgiana

Postby Georgiana » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I can imagine a hands-off approach to first year associates, but don't understand how that works for SAs, who can't actually do a deposition or any of the other learn-by-doing experiences. Did you discuss that with your interviewer at all?

We didn't really talk about the firm much after that :) We chatted about law school and DC I think, just needed to kill the time.

Return to “Legal Employment”