Using my Network for Jerb: What's the Ask?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Using my Network for Jerb: What's the Ask?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:56 pm

So, in the course of my work this summer, I've done enough good work for enough people that if my firm can't bring me on for financial reasons, I've got some people who may be willing to help me find something somewhere else.

With regard to those people, what exactly should I ask them to do for me? Give them my rez/cover letter and ask them to send it to someone they know at a different place? Ask them to make a call for me? While I've done plenty of work to build a network, I'm utterly clueless as to how to activate that network to my benefit. Any thoughts?

skw

Re: Using my Network for Jerb: What's the Ask?

Postby skw » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:42 pm

Ask network contacts for suggestions of attorneys you should reach out to and whether it is ok to let them know who referred you. Then email the prospect with a cc to your contact and include your resume. Wait a week, then call the prospect. Try to get him/her on the phone versus leaving a message. The less you ask of your network contacts, the more successful you will be. Also, taking this approach puts you in the driver's seat. You want control of the process. Good luck.

MoonshineJoe

Re: Using my Network for Jerb: What's the Ask?

Postby MoonshineJoe » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:09 pm

I always try to ask "Who are the two people you think I should talk with?" Rephrase as necessary, but the point is to connect with someone one degree removed who might have a job or opportunity. If you email someone saying "John Smith recommended I contact you" they will almost always be willing to meet for coffee and talk about career development.

In my experience you don't want to directly ask for a job. Everyone knows why you are talking with them.

Return to “Legal Employment”