When to use the first name? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Perseus_I

Bronze

When to use the first name?

Post by Perseus_I » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:54 pm

When you have a callback interview, and someone says to call him or her by their first name, would you say it's appropriate to use that person's first name or Mr./Ms. Last name when writing a thank-you letter?

kaiser

Gold

Re: When to use the first name?

Post by kaiser » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:56 pm

Perseus_I wrote:When you have a callback interview, and someone says to call him or her by their first name, would you say it's appropriate to use that person's first name or Mr./Ms. Last name when writing a thank-you letter?
At that point, just use their first name

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:03 pm

kaiser wrote:
Perseus_I wrote:When you have a callback interview, and someone says to call him or her by their first name, would you say it's appropriate to use that person's first name or Mr./Ms. Last name when writing a thank-you letter?
If you can't remember which one they said to use (I had 14 screeners and 2 callbacks yesterday), is it fatal to just use Ms./Mr. Last Name?

Ozymandias

Bronze

Post by Ozymandias » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
kaiser wrote:
If you can't remember which one they said to use (I had 14 screeners and 2 callbacks yesterday), is it fatal to just use Ms./Mr. Last Name?
Oh good lord.

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
kaiser wrote:
Is it fatal? Cmon, man. Thank you notes are on the fringe of total irrelevance in this whole process, so don't sweat the details of it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:15 pm

I'm glad I never went through the hassle of writing thank you notes.

glitter178

Silver

Post by glitter178 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:23 pm

i've actually been repeatedly discouraged from writing them. our CSO says not to write them. also i just went to a reception at k&e and they said they don't like getting them (they have made their decision before they are getting your thank you note)

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:56 pm

Thank you notes provide no upside. On the off chance someone actually reads it, it's just another opportunity to fuck up with a typo or something - that's it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”