Advice for approaching the Dallas market?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Raima

Advice for approaching the Dallas market?

Postby Raima » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:19 pm

I am hoping to work in Dallas, but am from out of state, and was wondering if any Dallasites have any general advice for an outsider as I begin my mass mailing and networking? I will mostly be mailing smaller to midsized firms (this is the environment I would like to work in). I've heard it's a tough market to break, and this worries me, so I am looking for any advice I can get. My fiance - a Texan through and through - has a job in the city, and we decided that going where his job is would be the most economically practical for us (though we both really do love Dallas in any case), so I am in a place where I really need to get in and find work in the area as well. I anticipate hitting some walls in doing so.

Any tips would be much appreciated - in terms of mailing small firms, is it fine to address my correspondence to the main named partner of the firm? Typical female dress for interviews and/or meeting with attorneys (I know there's a more general thread on women's suits, but for the South specifically?), whether to keep my undergraduate political affiliations and involvements (liberal back then) on my resume, whether to mention having a fiance, etc. - anything and everything not mentioned here. Thanks much!

Richie Tenenbaum

Re: Advice for approaching the Dallas market?

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:25 pm

Raima wrote:I am hoping to work in Dallas, but am from out of state, and was wondering if any Dallasites have any general advice for an outsider as I begin my mass mailing and networking? I will mostly be mailing smaller to midsized firms (this is the environment I would like to work in). I've heard it's a tough market to break, and this worries me, so I am looking for any advice I can get. My fiance - a Texan through and through - has a job in the city, and we decided that going where his job is would be the most economically practical for us (though we both really do love Dallas in any case), so I am in a place where I really need to get in and find work in the area as well. I anticipate hitting some walls in doing so.

Any tips would be much appreciated - in terms of mailing small firms, is it fine to address my correspondence to the main named partner of the firm? Typical female dress for interviews and/or meeting with attorneys (I know there's a more general thread on women's suits, but for the South specifically?), whether to keep my undergraduate political affiliations and involvements (liberal back then) on my resume, whether to mention having a fiance, etc. - anything and everything not mentioned here. Thanks much!

You should mention in like the second or third sentence of cover letters that your fiancé has a job in Dallas (and family, if true) and it is where you guys would like to live.

Raima

Postby Raima » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:51 pm

Thanks! I thought as much. I'm just not sure what an appropriate answer would be if I get asked something like, "What if it doesn't work out? Would you still want to be here?" Those kinds of questions scare me, because I know my honest answer, but I don't know that it's good enough - I really just think it's the perfect size as a city, and I love the people and the culture here. But that's kind of general and goofy, right?

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:53 pm

Raima wrote:Thanks! I thought as much. I'm just not sure what an appropriate answer would be if I get asked something like, "What if it doesn't work out? Would you still want to be here?" Those kinds of questions scare me, because I know my honest answer, but I don't know that it's good enough - I really just think it's the perfect size as a city, and I love the people and the culture here. But that's kind of general and goofy, right?

Fiancé is a strong enough tie that i would be extremely surprised if they ask you something like that. Your other reasons sound weak since they could describe so many other cities.

Return to “Legal Employment”