Worth going to CCN?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Worth going to CCN?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:57 am

TTT student got into to CCN but missed biglaw bidding deadline. Was top of the class and LR. Worth going without bidding? About 10-15 biglaw interviews at my 1L school and I have a full ride.

What are my prospects at landing an SA gig if I transfer?

kaiser

Re: Worth going to CCN?

Postby kaiser » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:03 pm

Last edited by kaiser on Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zonto

Postby zonto » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:05 pm

Not necessarily. Some Columbia transfers would have found out about their acceptance either at or barely before the deadline to submit a resume and bidlist for the OCI lottery.

danquayle

Postby danquayle » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:07 pm

kaiser wrote:You were diligent enough to hit all the transferring deadlines, and then couldn't keep track of when the OCI bidding deadline was at your new school?

Useful answer. I'm guessing he wasn't admitted until after the OCI deadline. If he's still in a position to go or not go, he clearly hasn't accepted their offer and wouldn't be eligible to bid.

OP, going from a TTT to CCN drastically improves your long term career options. If you were at a Tier 1, I'd say stay. But if you strike out at your TTT OCI, I think you'll really be kicking yourself 3L year.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:09 pm

zonto wrote:Not necessarily. Some Columbia transfers would have found out about their acceptance either at or barely before the deadline to submit a resume and bidlist for the OCI lottery.

That's ridiculous. Columbia doesn't give transfers a full and fair bidding cycle like NYU does for transfers? I can't believe that they actually expect kids to pay full tuition for 2 years, while also withholding from them the one thing that matters most.

And OP, sorry for the misunderstanding. I just never thought a CCN school would possibly do that, so I assumed that meant it was you who missed a deadline or something. As for actual advice, id say you are better off at the top of your TTT. Sure, CLS is nice, but without OCI, its no sure thing you will be able to line something up. Id take my chances as the standout top dog at your old school.
Last edited by kaiser on Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Myself

Postby Myself » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:11 pm

Last edited by Myself on Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:TTT student got into to CCN but missed biglaw bidding deadline. Was top of the class and LR. Worth going without bidding? About 10-15 biglaw interviews at my 1L school and I have a full ride.

Honestly, it's probably not worth transferring if you can't participate in OCI. It's also bullshit on the part of the school if they're accepted you and won't let you participate.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:TTT student got into to CCN but missed biglaw bidding deadline. Was top of the class and LR. Worth going without bidding? About 10-15 biglaw interviews at my 1L school and I have a full ride.

Honestly, it's probably not worth transferring if you can't participate in OCI. It's also bullshit on the part of the school if they're accepted you and won't let you participate.

Though how much accommodation can you expect from a school that honestly has transfers complete the journal writing competition before they are even accepted? That in itself is a bit insulting, so piling "no OCI for you" on top of it is just too much, even if its just for a small portion of transfers.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:52 pm

OP here.

I'll confirm that the school is Columbia. I am trying to get in touch with the right people at the school now to see if there is anything that can be done. I was accepted at the deadline while I was back home without e-mail dealing with family matters that were, in all honesty, much more important.

Thank you for the advice so far. It makes sense. Was not sure if they ahd anything for people who struck out that would still put me in a better position.

Postby 09042014 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:23 pm

No fucking way do you transfer without OCI.

Longterm "career" prospects for CLS grads with no SA are shit, pure shit.

DeweyWins

Postby DeweyWins » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:27 pm

If you can't do EIP, absolutely don't transfer. Continue to kill it at your current school and don't look back.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:41 pm

I'm going to go the other way on this:

You can always mass-mail, which is not entirely ineffective. And then there is 3L OCI, which is pretty minimal, but if you have a decent 2L year, you should be fine if you can point to lack of a firm to no OCI.

I think the Columbia name is better. If you miss the biglaw boat at the TTT/whatever, you're not going to be in a great position.

D-hops

Postby D-hops » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:44 pm

What kind of options would you have to pick up interviews during OCI even if you didn't bid?

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:50 pm

OP, do you currently have any other transfer acceptances? If you have any other T10 schools that would at least allow you a full OCI chance, maybe just take that option instead?

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:53 pm

We just finished our add period yesterday - OP, when were you accepted? I would definitely get in touch with OCS and see what your options are. I know there are definitely going to be interviews available when you get to EIP, and people drop stuff after the deadline (even if they're not supposed to). Mass mailing is also a great idea - you actually will probably have better results for your time, as firms can select you and bring you in to their offices instead of having to go through the CLS lottery system.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm going to go the other way on this:

You can always mass-mail, which is not entirely ineffective. And then there is 3L OCI, which is pretty minimal, but if you have a decent 2L year, you should be fine if you can point to lack of a firm to no OCI.

I think the Columbia name is better. If you miss the biglaw boat at the TTT/whatever, you're not going to be in a great position.

Columbia name doesn't mean jack shit without a 2L SA. OP would just be one of the hundreds of CLS grads over the last few years who got nothing at OCI.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:08 pm

rayiner wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm going to go the other way on this:

Columbia name doesn't mean jack shit without a 2L SA. OP would just be one of the hundreds of CLS grads over the last few years who got nothing at OCI.

I was thinking the same thing. CLS does not mean 100% employment. What do you think happens to the kids in the bottom quarter who get nothing at EIW? They end up scrapping around for something on their own. Some are successful in finding something, while others aren't. Why should a top 1% student have to scrap around like a bottom quarter student? Transfers have top grades, and are willing to pay full tuition, so the school should at least provide all of the them with the proper tools and structure to most efficiently secure a job. Don't think for one second that all CLS grads end up with jobs, and while that number is relatively small, not participating in OCI will go a long way toward pushing you in that direction.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:22 pm

If you're in a smaller market, I think you should stay and enjoy having a job with no debt, but first try to get OCS to accomodate you. This is coming from someone at a CCN school.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:26 pm

OP: Stay put without a full shot at Columbia's OCI. (It would be an even more interesting thread if the CCN school was Chicago due to the much smaller class.)

P.S. Does "top of the class" mean number one in your class ? Also, it would help to know your current law school.

Ship87

Postby Ship87 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:01 pm

I think you will be able to get interviews at the firms you want to interview with if you call/email them and explain the situation or work with someone in career services. Transfers at CLS do well, and the CLS name will matter long-term, especially relative to a much lower ranked school. People add interviews at EIP the day of, and our add period is still open. I think there are many ways around missing the bidding deadline at EIP to get interviews with firms you want.

Return to “Legal Employment”