USC / UCLA OCI 2012

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: USC / UCLA OCI 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know of any Bryan Cave offers being extended to anyone?

yes

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:USC: Got a ding after screener from Rutan and Tucker today. Whatever, the interviewer was having a meltdown and was on his phone the whole time

HAHA. I probably interviewed shortly after you because he spent 5 minutes talking about said meltdown.

Also, I haven't heard from Morgan Lewis, K&L Gates, and Stroock still. I'm guessing they just haven't sent the rejections out or something.

I have still not heard a peep from 7 firms after the initial screener, K&L Gates (Irvine) being one of them.

Hm, yeah, waiting on that same Irvine office. I'm thinking they just haven't gotten around to dinging us.

Got the rejection in the mail today.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:55 am

Has anyone gotten a rejection email or snail mail from Milbank LA (post CB)?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:40 am

Has anybody heard anything from Foley (LA)? I have yet to hear back after the screener. Assuming it's a ding, but what the hell is taking them so long?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anybody heard anything from Foley (LA)? I have yet to hear back after the screener. Assuming it's a ding, but what the hell is taking them so long?

Email ding this morning

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:24 pm

Was contacted today by Gordon & Rees (SD office) for a skype/video conference initial interview (applied via resume collect).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:39 pm

Still haven't heard anything from 5 firms after screener. I'm assuming they are dings, but does anybody know if it's typical for some firms to just not respond at all? It's been a month already.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:06 pm

I'm in a similar situation, assuming they are dings. Any information for past years?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:51 pm

I hope the rest of you fare better than I did. I got dings from both of my callbacks, and I don't have much of anything lined up with big firms except waiting to hear back from mass mailers and two screeners from over a month ago. I did another mock interview with OCS to see if I was doing anything wrong, but they didn't see anything major. Law school just became a much worse investment.

I have a 3.6 at UCLA with two years work experience. I would advise other people to not say they are primarily interested in transactional work, as that is one thing I did that I am almost certain decreased my chances. I must have done other things to hurt my chances too, I just don't know what they were, and neither firm responded when I asked for feedback after I was dinged. Best of luck to everyone else!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:58 pm

Ask CSO to get in touch with the firm. Firms are much more willing to share that information with CSO then with you directly.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I hope the rest of you fare better than I did. I got dings from both of my callbacks, and I don't have much of anything lined up with big firms except waiting to hear back from mass mailers and two screeners from over a month ago. I did another mock interview with OCS to see if I was doing anything wrong, but they didn't see anything major. Law school just became a much worse investment.

I have a 3.6 at UCLA with two years work experience. I would advise other people to not say they are primarily interested in transactional work, as that is one thing I did that I am almost certain decreased my chances. I must have done other things to hurt my chances too, I just don't know what they were, and neither firm responded when I asked for feedback after I was dinged. Best of luck to everyone else!

It could be nothing in particular that you "did." It's just a really sluggish market right now.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I hope the rest of you fare better than I did. I got dings from both of my callbacks, and I don't have much of anything lined up with big firms except waiting to hear back from mass mailers and two screeners from over a month ago. I did another mock interview with OCS to see if I was doing anything wrong, but they didn't see anything major. Law school just became a much worse investment.

It could be nothing in particular that you "did." It's just a really sluggish market right now.

This. Do you know how big the class sizes were? Did you just target LA? Mass mail more. I've had some success with it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:53 pm

I'm sorry to hear that! I am primarily interested in transactional work too but some of my screeners were with only litigation offices and at the end of the day, I wanted A job so I practiced having things to say about lit that I liked. I only picked a handful of firms that I knew were strong in Corp in LA where I said I was leaning transactional but I was open to both.

Maybe you can try to hit up some of the smaller more regional firms (CA only) (especially if you are from LA/OC). Try to contact anyone you know that is an attorney or knows any partners and ask them to introduce you?

Good luck.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:42 pm

rutan & tucker snail mail ding post screener. fuck it

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:46 pm

Has anyone who had a CB with Stradling heard back?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:07 am

no word on a stradling CB, now more than 10 days out. Likely going to accept another offer anyway on Monday, but thought I would share since Stradling seems to be pretty slow, no confirmed offers

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:no word on a stradling CB, now more than 10 days out. Likely going to accept another offer anyway on Monday, but thought I would share since Stradling seems to be pretty slow, no confirmed offers

if you don't mind. which firm's offer are you planning on accepting?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:29 am

Anybody with a Pillsbury CB heard back yet?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:16 pm

Well, I guess OCI is pretty much done. I have a feeling this year was more competitive that last year.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I'm sorry to hear that! I am primarily interested in transactional work too but some of my screeners were with only litigation offices and at the end of the day, I wanted A job so I practiced having things to say about lit that I liked. I only picked a handful of firms that I knew were strong in Corp in LA where I said I was leaning transactional but I was open to both.

Maybe you can try to hit up some of the smaller more regional firms (CA only) (especially if you are from LA/OC). Try to contact anyone you know that is an attorney or knows any partners and ask them to introduce you?

Good luck.

I do think the transactional focus can be a negative right now. I'm at a midwest T-30 trying to get back to SoCal and after receiving a few rejections post call back was able to get a recruiter to share that they really did like me, but were only hiring 2 associates for transactional compared to 8 for litigation, ditto at a second firm from the hiring partner. I ended up landing another firm which has me slated as transactional but liked that I was at least somewhat open to the litigation side. Something that would have normally been an awful answer to Transactional or Litigation? me being slightly flip-floppy actually worked out in my case.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:58 pm

Any word on offers from Holland and Knight (LA)?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any word on offers from Holland and Knight (LA)?

I haven't heard a peep from them since my screener at OCI. But I've already accepted another offer. so fuck'em. USC.

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:13 am

Anonymous User wrote:Any word on offers from Holland and Knight (LA)?

They only take 1-2 people and I heard they gave out offers really late last year..

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:38 pm

has anyone been dinged by morgan lewis/stroock post-screener yet?

haha, it's ridiculous how long it has been.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:43 pm

Lasers wrote:has anyone been dinged by morgan lewis/stroock post-screener yet?

haha, it's ridiculous how long it has been.

I don't know, but I've been dinged post cb.

Return to “Legal Employment”