USC / UCLA OCI 2012

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: USC / UCLA OCI 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:almost two weeks from my first callback. is there a point i should contact them?

If they didn't explicitly give you a timetable, I think at about 2 weeks it's roughly a good time to see where they are in the decision process.

FWIW, this is what the CSO at my school recommends too.

yeah, they didn't mention a timeline at all. should i call the recruiting coordinator?

Yeah, get ahold of the recruiting coordinator.

For some firms last year, it confirmed to me I'd been dinged. Which is nice to get out of the way. For other firms, I was told that the hiring committee hadn't met yet. Which is also nice to put the mind at ease a little!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:41 pm

Katten email rejection just now (USC).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:34 am

USC: Got a Morgan Lewis CB. Already accepted another offer so I will be declining. Hopefully someone here gets it!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:USC: Got a Morgan Lewis CB. Already accepted another offer so I will be declining. Hopefully someone here gets it!

Which ML office?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:USC: Got a Morgan Lewis CB. Already accepted another offer so I will be declining. Hopefully someone here gets it!

Which ML office?

UCLA: not sure what ML office USC was talking about. I received one from their irvine office this morning and heard others at UCLA received one from nor cal (not sure where).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Which ML office?

Irvine office.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:almost two weeks from my first callback. is there a point i should contact them?

If they didn't explicitly give you a timetable, I think at about 2 weeks it's roughly a good time to see where they are in the decision process.

FWIW, this is what the CSO at my school recommends too.

yeah, they didn't mention a timeline at all. should i call the recruiting coordinator?

Yeah, get ahold of the recruiting coordinator.

For some firms last year, it confirmed to me I'd been dinged. Which is nice to get out of the way. For other firms, I was told that the hiring committee hadn't met yet. Which is also nice to put the mind at ease a little!

So I called and the coordinator told me no offers/decisions have been made yet. Alive to fight another day...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:56 pm

You guys been doing thank you emails after CBs? Seems so pointless!

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:You guys been doing thank you emails after CBs? Seems so pointless!

there are several threads on this.

probably doesn't matter either way, but i do. i usually only get one response of all the e-mails i send, which i find a bit odd.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:05 pm

Lasers wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:You guys been doing thank you emails after CBs? Seems so pointless!

probably doesn't matter either way, but i do. i usually only get one response of all the e-mails i send, which i find a bit odd.

it's not odd. the attorneys are busy and don't care. that's why i think you shouldn't send them, unless you had a crazy instant connection with one of them.

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Lasers wrote:

it's not odd. the attorneys are busy and don't care. that's why i think you shouldn't send them, unless you had a crazy instant connection with one of them.

well, i find it odd because i'd think none would respond, or all would. i don't see the point in advocating either way; if you feel like it, do it. if you don't, don't. it won't matter either way.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:25 am

Just did a Littler CB.

Does anyone have any clue as to the turnaround time? I thought it went really well, all told. But who knows, I've been wrong before!

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:Just did a Littler CB.

Does anyone have any clue as to the turnaround time? I thought it went really well, all told. But who knows, I've been wrong before!

anywhere from 1 day to 4 weeks+? i'd guess it's usually 1-2 weeks though?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:32 am

Lasers wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Just did a Littler CB.

anywhere from 1 day to 4 weeks+? i'd guess it's usually 1-2 weeks though?

Hopefully closer to the shorter end than the longer end of that estimate. :lol:

Although I have a feeling like 1-2 weeks sounds right. Because they're a specialized shop, paying a little below market, and taking a relatively small number of people, I think they can afford to be a little more deliberate.

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:33 pm

Wondering if there have been any Milbank LA offers?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:42 pm

Anyone know of any Bryan Cave offers being extended to anyone?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:31 pm

USC here.

No idea about Bryan Cave or Milbank. Aside from the firms that give out quick offers like Irell/Gibson/Paul Hastings, etc, I know that Orrick, Mayer Brown, Sidley, Sheppard Mullin LA, Fulbright, and Bingham have given offers. I'm sure some others have too. I'm still waiting for an offer...

Anyone know if Mitchell Silberberg Knupp has given out offers?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:USC here.

No idea about Bryan Cave or Milbank. Aside from the firms that give out quick offers like Irell/Gibson/Paul Hastings, etc, I know that Orrick, Mayer Brown, Sidley, Sheppard Mullin LA, Fulbright, and Bingham have given offers. I'm sure some others have too. I'm still waiting for an offer...

Anyone know if Mitchell Silberberg Knupp has given out offers?

i know someone who had a cb at mitchell from ucla two weeks ago; don't know if they heard back yet.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:26 pm

Just got my 4th post-callback rejection with over a 3.4 @ usc.

:( I don't understand.

I'm not doing anything different between screener and callback :(

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:38 am

Damn, how many callbacks do you have left/haven't heard from yet?

Also, anyone hear anything about Manatt?

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just got my 4th post-callback rejection with over a 3.4 @ usc.

Sorry to hear that. Are these firms with large or small (1-6 ppl) SA classes? Do you still have CBs left to go to or left to hear from?

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Damn, how many callbacks do you have left/haven't heard from yet?

Someone I know got an offer from Manatt at USC. But I think they are also still giving CBs (I think another friend said they had recently heard from them about a CB but I'm not 100% on that)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Damn, how many callbacks do you have left/haven't heard from yet?

Aside from the 4 rejections, I'm waiting on 2 firms post-CB (both were about 2 weeks ago), and I have my last one scheduled this upcoming week.

Trying so hard.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:57 pm

JJDancer wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Just got my 4th post-callback rejection with over a 3.4 @ usc.

Sorry to hear that. Are these firms with large or small (1-6 ppl) SA classes? Do you still have CBs left to go to or left to hear from?

The class sizes of the four were 5, 2, 6, 8. The class sizes of the two I'm waiting on are ~5 each, and the last one I have scheduled has ~2 or 3.

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
JJDancer wrote:

The class sizes of the four were 5, 2, 6, 8. The class sizes of the two I'm waiting on are ~5 each, and the last one I have scheduled has ~2 or 3.

Don't lose hope. My motto is "you only need one" and my first and only offer is from a place that takes 3 people. I'm still waiting to hear from some (one if which is sort of my first choice) but everywhere I CB-ed had less than 6 people. You still have at least one chance you can control so talk to people with offers if they did things differently and try to know the firm, have answers to Why this firm and Why this city and Why this group but other than enthusiasm, I was more laid back during CBs (didn't tell as many "impressive" stories from my resume) but still be prepared for the random "what was a challenge you faced" etc type questions.. you obviously got 7 callbacks so you're doing something right. Maybe there is absolutely nothing you need to improve on but there just hasn't been that fit/connection or someone inched you out at each place. You only need one. After your last callback, I might invest in mass-mailing a few firms later that day just in case. And hopefully you will have heard something good from one of the other two by then.

GL!

Return to “Legal Employment”