Boutiques for below median ppl? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Boutiques for below median ppl?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:05 am

So, do boutiques hire 2Ls from below median T-14? If so, which? Might as well mass-mail them as well.

bk1

Diamond

Re: Boutiques for below median ppl?

Post by bk1 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:55 am

What do you mean by boutique? Generally to me boutique means a small/midsize firm that is as reputable if not moreso than the big firms in a given practice area. I don't know every area of the country but I can't think of a firm that really falls into this category that isn't selective.

bhan87

Silver

Post by bhan87 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:59 am

bk187 wrote:What do you mean by boutique? Generally to me boutique means a small/midsize firm that is as reputable if not moreso than the big firms in a given practice area. I don't know every area of the country but I can't think of a firm that really falls into this category that isn't selective.
What about Wachtell? I heard they're a boutique. loljk.

OP: What is your definition of boutiques? As bk187 notes, there are boutique firms that are even HARDER to get into than the most selective biglaw firms. For example, Susman Godfrey.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:06 am

I think what you're asking is mainly how to apply to small/midsized firms (who often try to call themselves boutiques to get over the stigma of being a small/midsized firm).

This TLS guide might help: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=178520

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:01 am

Based on my interviews last year, boutique firms cared much more about substantive background knowledge and demonstrable interest in their practice areas than my somewhat-below-median T14 grades. (Talking here about "subject matter" boutiques that deal with one or two things, like healthcare law or land-use law, not the elite general litigation boutiques that get so much TLS love).

If you have a background in a legit practice area, boutique interviewers/hiring committee folks are often thrilled to have a candidate who clearly has an interest in the field and isn't starting from scratch, since they get a ton of mass-mail spamming and OCI bids from people without any real interest or subject-matter expertise. So background can substitute for grades (at least to some degree) in my experience.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”