Noting Offer on Resume?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Noting Offer on Resume?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:26 pm

I did a search, but there was no definitive answer on this. Should I note that I have an offer on my resume? I would want to do so for two reasons. 1) I am applying for some PT jobs during the school year, and I thought it would be good to make clear I'm not seeking a FT post-grad job, just something for the school year, and 2) I am going to be working in a secondary market in flyover country, and I want to indicate that I will be starting my career there when I am applying for clerkships.

So yes or no on this? And if yes, how do I do so?

ryanmot

Re: Noting Offer on Resume?

Postby ryanmot » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:30 pm

No.

NinerFan

Postby NinerFan » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:27 am

ryanmot wrote:No.

What? The answer is yes.

monkey85

Postby monkey85 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:40 am

On your resume after you list the position "Summer Associate" place in parentheses "(offer extended)"

Myself

Postby Myself » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:43 am

Last edited by Myself on Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:30 am

Would it be better or worse for OP to make a new line for the position (because presumably he is going to need one once he joins the firm permanently anyway)? Like:

Law Firm
Incoming Associate Starting [month] [year]
Law Firm
Summer Associate Dates

I obviously don't hav experience with this (2L), but that's what I do with a new position, even if it's returning to the same place. Personally I feel like putting "Summer Associate (offer extended)" is confusing. JMO.

Younger Abstention

Postby Younger Abstention » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:43 pm

Everyone makes such a big deal about this. Everyone will assume you got the offer regardless of whether you note it on your resume because you're insecure.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:13 pm

Younger Abstention wrote:Everyone makes such a big deal about this. Everyone will assume you got the offer regardless of whether you note it on your resume because you're insecure.

No, not necessarily. OP here, and I'm not at some NYC school working at a big name NYC firm that everyone recognizes and knows has 100% offer rates. I go to school in secondary market A, and will go to work at a big law firm in secondary market B. The small/mid sized firms I am applying to right now in A are not going to assume I got an offer from B, or at least it will be somewhat unclear. I do realize its not a big deal and I'm not trying to make it out to be a big deal, but I am trying to make my resume as polished as possible and I'm hoping for a helpful answer from a recent grad or 3L.

As of now, the resume line reads:

XYZ LLP, Summer Associate, ABC City
-(Line listing the things I did this summer.. legal research, write memoranda, etc.)
-Offer accepted to return as associate in September 2013

Is this alright?

Return to “Legal Employment”