Dinsmore & Shohl Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Dinsmore & Shohl

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:00 am

Bump

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:06 am

Just out of curiosity, is $105k (which is what Dinsmore pays according to their NALP) more or less 'market' pay for smaller cities like Cincy?

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:27 pm

los blancos wrote:Just out of curiosity, is $105k (which is what Dinsmore pays according to their NALP) more or less 'market' pay for smaller cities like Cincy?
Taking Jones Day—which is an outlier—out, market in the Ohio cities can be anywhere from 90 to 115. There are enough firms paying 110-120 (Squire, Thompson Hine, Vorys, Ulmer) that you couldn't quite say 105 is "market." But a lot of the prominent firms (Dinsmore, Taft, Ice Miller[?], Bricker, Porter Wright) pay in the 100-110 range.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:29 am

Rejection letter yesterday from screener in August. T-14, at median, secondary journal.

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:22 am

TTH wrote:
los blancos wrote:Just out of curiosity, is $105k (which is what Dinsmore pays according to their NALP) more or less 'market' pay for smaller cities like Cincy?
Taking Jones Day—which is an outlier—out, market in the Ohio cities can be anywhere from 90 to 115. There are enough firms paying 110-120 (Squire, Thompson Hine, Vorys, Ulmer) that you couldn't quite say 105 is "market." But a lot of the prominent firms (Dinsmore, Taft, Ice Miller[?], Bricker, Porter Wright) pay in the 100-110 range.

Yeah, I'm trying to understand what the case is in N.C. Seems like Mayer Brown actually pays $160 here. Everyone else pays less, I'm trying to figure out what market seems to be around here because I know for a fact that the NALP forms for several firms are outdated.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

wiseowl

Silver

Post by wiseowl » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:14 am

I've heard there are a few firms in Charlotte still paying 160, mainly those with NYC HQs. A&B used to even pay 160 for patent in Raleigh but those days are gone I think.

Womble, Smith Anderson, etc. pay 100-120.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:07 am

wiseowl wrote:I've heard there are a few firms in Charlotte still paying 160, mainly those with NYC HQs. A&B used to even pay 160 for patent in Raleigh but those days are gone I think.

Womble, Smith Anderson, etc. pay 100-120.

Good to know; thanks.

ETA: sorry didn't mean to be anon.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:53 am

Have they given out offers and rejections in Cinci?

mrosmith

Bronze

Post by mrosmith » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:19 pm

Have given rejections out of Cincinnati.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:14 pm

Did anyone during the interview process ask about bonus possibilities at Dinsmore. The managing partner says that the firm doesn't pay based off of seniority. Anyone know about Dinsmore's compensation system/bonus opportunities?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Did anyone during the interview process ask about bonus possibilities at Dinsmore. The managing partner says that the firm doesn't pay based off of seniority. Anyone know about Dinsmore's compensation system/bonus opportunities?
Can anyone comment about Dinsmore's offer rate for Summer Associates?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:53 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Did anyone during the interview process ask about bonus possibilities at Dinsmore. The managing partner says that the firm doesn't pay based off of seniority. Anyone know about Dinsmore's compensation system/bonus opportunities?
Can anyone comment about Dinsmore's offer rate for Summer Associates?
I think they have a high offer rate. The NALP directory suggests high offer rates too.

A mid-level associate was telling me the firm doesn't want individuals splitting summers because they have the intention of bringing all the SAs on permanently.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:42 pm

That's great to hear. I'll be summering there next year, and was curious.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:That's great to hear. I'll be summering there next year, and was curious.
Congrats! Also, someone earlier in this thread was asking if the 105K they pay is market. "Market" in the midwest is kind of tough to define but I just wanted to say that according to Dinsmore's website (http://www.dinsmorecareers.com/law-stud ... t-salaries) they pay 110K, not 105K, plus an 8K stipend in the bigger Midwest cities. I am sure the east coast TLSers will laugh about the difference of 5K but I just wanted to point that out.

Neidermeyer

New

Post by Neidermeyer » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:44 pm

I will be summering for Dinsmore & Shohl as well. I was told that they only like try to bring on as many people in the summer as they can afford to hire as associates. They have a very high offer rate.

somewhatwayward

Silver

Post by somewhatwayward » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:05 pm

Neidermeyer wrote:I will be summering for Dinsmore & Shohl as well. I was told that they only like try to bring on as many people in the summer as they can afford to hire as associates. They have a very high offer rate.
If the offer rate is not consistently 95%+ (I would even say 100%), it is not "very high."

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:22 pm

somewhatwayward wrote:
Neidermeyer wrote:I will be summering for Dinsmore & Shohl as well. I was told that they only like try to bring on as many people in the summer as they can afford to hire as associates. They have a very high offer rate.
If the offer rate is not consistently 95%+ (I would even say 100%), it is not "very high."
According to NALP, It is 100% in most offices.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Neidermeyer

New

Post by Neidermeyer » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
somewhatwayward wrote:
According to NALP, It is 100% in most offices.
I suppose we could go back and forth over what "very high" means, but yes, they do not bring on more summer associates than they plan to make offers to.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:46 pm

Are they done recruiting for Ohio?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:54 am

Yeah

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:22 pm

1L very interested in Dinsmore. I go to a T20 but have strong ties to Cincinnati/Dayton and would like to return. Have any other 1L's applied? Any movement at all?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:1L very interested in Dinsmore. I go to a T20 but have strong ties to Cincinnati/Dayton and would like to return. Have any other 1L's applied? Any movement at all?
Applied, with weak ties to Cincinnati and Columbus. Haven't heard anything though. At a lower T14.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:30 pm

Bump. Rising 2L at HYS, very close ties to Cincinnati, thinking about D & S. Could anyone give some details on why the firm is so good to work for? Also, does it follow the up-and-out model of other big law firms or can you stay beyond your 5th year? Finally, if you do leave, what kinds of exit options exist? Thanks for any advice.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:58 pm

I am also curious about this. Any insight would be appreciated, particularly on offer rates.
Anonymous User wrote:Bump. Rising 2L at HYS, very close ties to Cincinnati, thinking about D & S. Could anyone give some details on why the firm is so good to work for? Also, does it follow the up-and-out model of other big law firms or can you stay beyond your 5th year? Finally, if you do leave, what kinds of exit options exist? Thanks for any advice.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:50 pm

Applied there last year as a 1L, applying this year too as a 2L. I go to a top-20 school not in the region. My family lives there, I was born there and lived my whole life there until undergrad, my wife's family is from there and she has lived there until undergrad too - they questioned me hard about ties to the area and why I want to live there/work there.

I've talked to a few lawyers there candidly about the firm and they claim that Dinsmore does want the associates to all make partner. They said that obviously not everyone is a good fit or wants to put in the work, but that they try to keep associates there with a legitimate chance to make partner. Whenever I've been in the office, all (most) of the office doors are open and everyone will come introduce themselves. I haven't been inside many biglaw firms, so I don't know how common/uncommon this is.
Anonymous User wrote:Bump. Rising 2L at HYS, very close ties to Cincinnati, thinking about D & S. Could anyone give some details on why the firm is so good to work for? Also, does it follow the up-and-out model of other big law firms or can you stay beyond your 5th year? Finally, if you do leave, what kinds of exit options exist? Thanks for any advice.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”