Dinsmore & Shohl

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Dinsmore & Shohl

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:00 pm

If they care so much about ties to Cinci, where are these T14 people coming from?

I'm at a T14 and went to UG in Ohio (but not Cinci). I'm guessing that's probably not enough of a connection based on what ppl here are saying.

Also, does anyone know if they fly ppl in to interview even if they haven't done a screener? I just sent an e-mail with my materials and haven't heard anything back yet.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If they care so much about ties to Cinci, where are these T14 people coming from?

I'm at a T14 and went to UG in Ohio (but not Cinci). I'm guessing that's probably not enough of a connection based on what ppl here are saying.

Also, does anyone know if they fly ppl in to interview even if they haven't done a screener? I just sent an e-mail with my materials and haven't heard anything back yet.

I had the same ties as you, go to a T14, and that was plenty for me. They offered me a callback w/o a screener, but I had talked with them last year. The firm seems great.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:11 pm

Also at T14, had a 3L screener at OCI. Waiting to hear back. I would judge my ties are stronger, but then again, what do I know. Also, what do you mean they offered you a call back? This fall?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Also at T14, had a 3L screener at OCI. Waiting to hear back. I would judge my ties are stronger, but then again, what do I know. Also, what do you mean they offered you a call back? This fall?

Yes. But not through regular OCI.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:17 pm

For 2L or 3L position?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For 2L or 3L position?

2L. Summer associate.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:48 pm

Awesome firm. I kind of regret not going there, but such is life. They take forever in giving out offers after callbacks. I was definitely grilled on my ties to the area but having ties to Dayton seemed to be enough.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:01 pm

I interviewed with them last Wednesday at my T14... anyone know how long between screener and callbacks? Please update if anyone gets a callback...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:08 pm

Is spending your whole life in Ohio, and having family+gf ties enough for D&S?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is spending your whole life in Ohio, and having family+gf ties enough for D&S?

Not sure if you're serious here, but if so, yes. Ties will not hold you back if the above is true.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:11 pm

They seem awesome. Curious of the time between screener and call back.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Is spending your whole life in Ohio, and having family+gf ties enough for D&S?

Not sure if you're serious here, but if so, yes. Ties will not hold you back if the above is true.

I was being serious. I asked the question because I get that whole "Why you here if you didn't grow up here?" thing from Cincinnatians, even as a fellow Ohioan. I really like a lot about Cincinnati, but it seems so much of a one of a kind beast. I live only a few hours away in the same state and it seems like I'm in a whole other region of the country when I go down there.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:48 pm

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:03 am

Now that they're just about done with their OCI schedule do you think we'll start hearing back this week?

They haven't started giving out CBs, right?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:10 am

I've lived my whole life in Cincy save going away for law school, and I'm still getting questions like why do you want to come back? Very weird. Like why wouldn't I want to come back?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:If they care so much about ties to Cinci, where are these T14 people coming from?

Because they just don't care that much about ties. As I mentioned earlier, they much more care about the law school name. A buddy of mine turned them down last year after he heard he heard about their prestige whoring ways (I.e. they will hire a T14er over a T2 who summered with them).

People are vastly overstating the importance of ties to Dinsmore. I think ties matter much more for kids from the lower ranked schools.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:12 pm

So I didn't need to buy that house in Hyde Park?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:35 pm

Will they wait until all of their recruiting events are concluded before they make callbacks or are people already receiving communications?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Will they wait until all of their recruiting events are concluded before they make callbacks or are people already receiving communications?

I was told I would hear back either way within two weeks. But I just had my interview, so we'll see.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:59 pm

I guess I have a random (also anecdotal) contribution to make. Someone I know hired D&S for a simple copyright matter and they sent him a bill in the middle of the application process. One of the lines in the bill charged my acquaintance $39.50 for the .1 hour that it took a partner to check the status of the copyright.

D&S charged partner rates for checking the status of a copyright application.

Here's a list of people that D&S might have been able to get to check on the process:
1. An associate
2. A paralegal
3. An administrative assistant
4. Anyone else who's not a partner

I'm not some crazy anti-D&S troll (braces self), but charging a partner's rate for an almost valueless service speaks to the professionalism of at least one partner at that firm. While this might have been an isolated incident, it might speak to how different members of the firm handle client matters and how that handling might shadily rip clients off pretty blatantly.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:07 pm

Asking an associate to check the status of the copyright or doing it yourself will take a minimum of .1 hour. But, doing it yourself within 6 min maximized the value of that .1 hr. It would have been unethical to spend 30 seconds billing the .1 hour asking the paralegal to do it, then have the paralegal spend .1 hr searching it, thus charging .2 hours for .1 of work.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:36 am

Bump, saw some UM kids will callbacks. Any word on 3Ls?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:07 am

Anonymous User wrote:Asking an associate to check the status of the copyright or doing it yourself will take a minimum of .1 hour. But, doing it yourself within 6 min maximized the value of that .1 hr. It would have been unethical to spend 30 seconds billing the .1 hour asking the paralegal to do it, then have the paralegal spend .1 hr searching it, thus charging .2 hours for .1 of work.

The partner should probably just not have billed for that. It would annoy the fuck out of me if I was a client. I've seen plenty of times where a partner will simply do something small like that as a courtesy and not bill for it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:Asking an associate to check the status of the copyright or doing it yourself will take a minimum of .1 hour. But, doing it yourself within 6 min maximized the value of that .1 hr. It would have been unethical to spend 30 seconds billing the .1 hour asking the paralegal to do it, then have the paralegal spend .1 hr searching it, thus charging .2 hours for .1 of work.

A paralegal would (1) be able to find that information as fast, if not faster than a partner and (2) have a billing rate far, far lower than that of the partner. Having partners charge for copyright status checks (among other brain dead projects) is a great way to jack up bills for unsuspecting clients, but such practices are total bullshit.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:37 am

Someone has to assign the project. Paralegals and other (brain dead) employees do not just do assignments spontaneously. If the aforementioned partner would have billed more than .1 hr, then I could see the validity of your position. Managing the workload of your subordinates is part of the job description of partners. If partners didn't get to bill for assigning said projects, firms would make no money.

But then again, I am most likely arguing with someone who has no experience managing a law practice or practicing law in general.

If you can do it better than a firm, by all means, start your own practice.

Return to “Legal Employment”