Predicting Callback Results Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Predicting Callback Results

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:42 pm

Is it possible to accurately predict the result of callbacks, or does it usually seem totally random?
I've had a few this week, and a couple that I loved and I felt like I really clicked with multiple people at the firms. Is that any reason to feel optimistic/confident?

Sapientia

Bronze

Re: Predicting Callback Results

Post by Sapientia » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is it possible to accurately predict the result of callbacks, or does it usually seem totally random?
I've had a few this week, and a couple that I loved and I felt like I really clicked with multiple people at the firms. Is that any reason to feel optimistic/confident?
Flame

dabbadon8

Silver

Post by dabbadon8 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:57 pm

Are you in their grade hiring range? School range? Do they have a SA class size of more than a handful?

Would never think you could feel even a little confident unless you answered yes to all three. Even then...

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:16 pm

(1) If not NYC/DC, do you have ties to the area? (Firms oddly seem to not screen for this much pre-CB.)
(2) Are you in the proper grade range for your school for this firm? (Generally you are, if you're at the CB.)
(3) Is the ratio of CBs given out by the firm : SA spots closer to 2:1 than 10:1? (If you don't know their interviewing habits, and you're afraid to ask, be aware that large firms have a more applicant-favorable CB ratio.)
(4) Did you 'click' with most/all of the interviewers? (Smaller BL firms are looking for more than just someone who passes the "decent-looking and not a total aspie" test.)

If you can say yes to all 4, then you can be confident. Never, ever "rely" on getting any particular one offer, though. Anecdotally, I felt very confident about all 4 of the firms I ended up getting offers from. I also felt confident at 3 or 4 of the dozen I got rejected from (mostly because I satisfied point 4).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”