Partner at v50 just yelled at me for NO reason

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
rayiner

Re: Partner at v50 just yelled at me for NO reason

Postby rayiner » Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:07 pm

Obviously flame, but there are just enough elements in here of actual SA behavior that I chuckled.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:25 pm

TLS;dr

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:29 pm

stratocophic wrote:TLS;dr

Lol good one that's pretty LULZY man

top30man

Postby top30man » Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:32 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:Pretty bad flame. 3/10. Maybe.

That's generous.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:36 pm

RPK34 wrote:There's actually an ATL story of a kid from Penn at one of the top firms who emailed all the partners telling him he could do more challenging work and that his superior legal mind wasn't being put to good use at their firm. Wish I could fine the story. So there are people out there that lack any resemblance of self awareness.

edit: Story here

http://abovethelaw.com/2011/08/lawsuit- ... 7-million/

reported for outting r6_philly

ajaxconstructions

Postby ajaxconstructions » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:37 pm

fatduck wrote:
RPK34 wrote:There's actually an ATL story of a kid from Penn at one of the top firms who emailed all the partners telling him he could do more challenging work and that his superior legal mind wasn't being put to good use at their firm. Wish I could fine the story. So there are people out there that lack any resemblance of self awareness.

edit: Story here

http://abovethelaw.com/2011/08/lawsuit- ... 7-million/

reported for outting r6_philly

That will probably end up being him in the future.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Basically I just went into his office and told him that I didn't think the SA's were given enough responsibility and that he was underutilizing me. I could understand giving me the work that he did for a few days, or maybe a few weeks, I told him, but after a month I could pretty much do his job. I didn't say it disrespectfully, just truthfully. He snapped at me and told me to leave his office and I was completely shocked that he would treat a summer associate this way. I've produced top-notch work this summer (almost every time an associate has corrected my work I proved that I was right, anyway).

I hope this doesn't keep me from getting an offer. I'll out the firm if anyone wants.

Magnificent? And you could do the partner's job after 1 month? You have no idea what you don't know.

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Basically I just went into his office and told him that I didn't think the SA's were given enough responsibility and that he was underutilizing me. I could understand giving me the work that he did for a few days, or maybe a few weeks, I told him, but after a month I could pretty much do his job. I didn't say it disrespectfully, just truthfully. He snapped at me and told me to leave his office and I was completely shocked that he would treat a summer associate this way. I've produced top-notch work this summer (almost every time an associate has corrected my work I proved that I was right, anyway).

I hope this doesn't keep me from getting an offer. I'll out the firm if anyone wants.

Magnificent? And you could do the partner's job after 1 month? You have no idea what you don't know.

I missed the part about OP proving that he was right almost every time an associate corrected his/her work.

What's the over/under on OP getting an offer?

The Platypus

Postby The Platypus » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote: (almost every time an associate has corrected my work I proved that I was right, anyway).

You sound like a wonderful person. And an even dumber flame.

shoeshine

Postby shoeshine » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:07 am

Worst flame ever.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:

why you gotta do me like that, ir8 lil pumononymous breh?

RPK34

Postby RPK34 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:06 am

sunynp wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I missed the part about OP proving that he was right almost every time an associate corrected his/her work.

What's the over/under on OP getting an offer?

I'm not convinced that you understand what an over/under is

top30man

Postby top30man » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:30 am

stratocophic wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

why you gotta do me like that, ir8 lil pumononymous breh?

He was brave enough to be anonymous.

RodneyBoonfield

Postby RodneyBoonfield » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:55 am

OP please let us know how the story continues to develop in real time.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:13 am

OP here.

When he saw me this morning in the hallway I nodded hello but he just shook his head. This is way too hostile for me. It's my last day but I think I might go quit right now if this is how I'm going to be treated. Should I? And should it be dramatic, or just a quiet letter slipped under the doors of the partners I've met?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:19 am

OP-

You should bert stare the partner down, in his office, to show aggressiveness and authority. He'll know what's up and give you more intellectually stimulating assignments.

apparentlynew

Postby apparentlynew » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:23 am

OP, we need to know more about the partners before we can responsibly counsel you. Are they silverbacks? Are the females in heat? If you are confident in your strength, challenge the strongest one for leadership of the clan. However, if the leader is not yet withered with age, I'd advise you to slink away, eyes averted.

And don't leave a note - gorillas hate notes.

top30man

Postby top30man » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:24 am

Anonymous User wrote:OP here.

When he saw me this morning in the hallway I nodded hello but he just shook his head. This is way too hostile for me. It's my last day but I think I might go quit right now if this is how I'm going to be treated. Should I? And should it be dramatic, or just a quiet letter slipped under the doors of the partners I've met?

This flame continues to worsen.

apparentlynew

Postby apparentlynew » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:27 am

But if you must leave a note, make sure that you weep as you pen it. Also ensure that the ink is smudged by your tears.

If you think your lachrimal glands will run dry before you can do that for every partner note, just leave a single note, pinned to the wall by a stiletto. Quality over quantity!

drbarry987

Postby drbarry987 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:02 am

apparentlynew wrote:OP, we need to know more about the partners before we can responsibly counsel you. Are they silverbacks? Are the females in heat? If you are confident in your strength, challenge the strongest one for leadership of the clan. However, if the leader is not yet withered with age, I'd advise you to slink away, eyes averted.

180 ^ 180. rofl

OP, you need to find the managing/rainmaking partner to assert your dominance. The partner who yelled at you is not the true alpha calling the shots. Physical confrontation will establish dominance most effectively. Something along the lines of barging into their office during a client meeting, shoving the senior partner while beating your chest and asserting, "and I could to YOUR job too - oscillating between bert staring the partner and then the client." 15 seconds of this and you will be first chairing bet-the-company trials in a flash brah.
Last edited by drbarry987 on Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

delusional

Postby delusional » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:18 am

top30man wrote:

I see it differently. It's not a poor job of flame, it's a great rendition of the "bad flame" genre.

top30man

Postby top30man » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:19 am

delusional wrote:
top30man wrote:

I see it differently. It's not a poor job of flame, it's a great rendition of the "bad flame" genre.

Of the so bad its good variety?

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:18 pm

top30man wrote:
delusional wrote:
top30man wrote:

Of the so bad its good variety?

You would quit dramatically on your last day of work? You sound mentally unbalanced, also you said you would out the firm.

clevermoose

Postby clevermoose » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:48 pm

apparentlynew wrote:OP, we need to know more about the partners before we can responsibly counsel you. Are they silverbacks? Are the females in heat? If you are confident in your strength, challenge the strongest one for leadership of the clan. However, if the leader is not yet withered with age, I'd advise you to slink away, eyes averted.

I'm struggling so hard to not LMAO at work. This is so great.

wiseowl

Postby wiseowl » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:55 pm

Need to know RIGHT NAO whether this partner has ever foghorned you at a urinal.

Return to “Legal Employment”