Partner at v50 just yelled at me for NO reason Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Partner at v50 just yelled at me for NO reason

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:47 am

Basically I just went into his office and told him that I didn't think the SA's were given enough responsibility and that he was underutilizing me. I could understand giving me the work that he did for a few days, or maybe a few weeks, I told him, but after a month I could pretty much do his job. I didn't say it disrespectfully, just truthfully. He snapped at me and told me to leave his office and I was completely shocked that he would treat a summer associate this way. I've produced top-notch work this summer (almost every time an associate has corrected my work I proved that I was right, anyway).

I hope this doesn't keep me from getting an offer. I'll out the firm if anyone wants.

[e]When I saw him this morning in the hallway I nodded hello but he just shook his head. This is way too hostile for me. It's my last day but I think I might go quit right now if this is how I'm going to be treated. Should I? And should it be dramatic, or just a quiet letter slipped under the doors of the partners I've met?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

RPK34

Silver

Re: Partner at v50 just yelled at me for NO reason

Post by RPK34 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:50 am

Is this serious?

KibblesAndVick

Silver

Post by KibblesAndVick » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:51 am

5/10

pjo

Silver

Post by pjo » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:52 am

Anonymous User wrote:Basically I just went into his office and told him that I didn't think the SA's were given enough responsibility and that he was underutilizing me. I could understand giving me the work that he did for a few days, or maybe a few weeks, I told him, but after a month I could pretty much do his job. I didn't say it disrespectfully, just truthfully. He snapped at me and told me to leave his office and I was completely shocked that he would treat a summer associate this way. I've produced top-notch work this summer (almost every time an associate has corrected my work I proved that I was right, anyway).

I hope this doesn't keep me from getting an offer. I'll out the firm if anyone wants.

Either this is a flame, or you have no understanding of the corporate hierarchy. "I told him I could pretty much do his job" -> why in the world would you say this, ever, even if it is true? I wouldn't say that to my manager if I was working at a McDonalds.

sunynp

Gold

Post by sunynp » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:54 am

You need to out the firm because no one is going to believe anyone is this stupid.
I believe almost everyone and even I think this is a flame.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

letsdoit

Bronze

Post by letsdoit » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:55 am

pjo wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Basically I just went into his office and told him that I didn't think the SA's were given enough responsibility and that he was underutilizing me. I could understand giving me the work that he did for a few days, or maybe a few weeks, I told him, but after a month I could pretty much do his job. I didn't say it disrespectfully, just truthfully. He snapped at me and told me to leave his office and I was completely shocked that he would treat a summer associate this way. I've produced top-notch work this summer (almost every time an associate has corrected my work I proved that I was right, anyway).

Either this is a flame, or you have no understanding of the corporate hierarchy. "I told him I could pretty much do his job" -> why in the world would you say this, ever, even if it is true? I wouldn't say that to my manager if I was working at a McDonalds.
zero chance this actually happened.

JetsFan1990

Bronze

Post by JetsFan1990 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:56 am

sunynp wrote:You need to out the firm because no one is going to believe anyone is this stupid.
I believe almost everyone and even I think this is a flame.

RPK34

Silver

Post by RPK34 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:56 am

There's actually an ATL story of a kid from Penn at one of the top firms who emailed all the partners telling him he could do more challenging work and that his superior legal mind wasn't being put to good use at their firm. Wish I could fine the story. So there are people out there that lack any resemblance of self awareness.

edit: Story here

http://abovethelaw.com/2011/08/lawsuit- ... 7-million/

dkb17xzx

Bronze

Post by dkb17xzx » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:00 am

RPK34 wrote:There's actually an ATL story of a kid from Penn at one of the top firms who emailed all the partners telling him he could do more challenging work and that his superior legal mind wasn't being put to good use at their firm. Wish I could fine the story. So there are people out there that lack any resemblance of self awareness.

edit: Story here

http://abovethelaw.com/2011/08/lawsuit- ... 7-million/
EDIT: scooped
Last edited by dkb17xzx on Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:00 am

Yeaaaahh... I don't think so.

NotMyRealName09

Silver

Post by NotMyRealName09 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:12 am

If this actually happened and I was the partner, I would, that moment, see what I could do to get you fired that instant. What a doucher - but this is too unbelievable.

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:15 am

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:26 am

Something very similar to this actually did happen in my office this summer. People are this stupid.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bceagles182

Silver

Post by bceagles182 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:28 am

Very obvious flame

moneybagsphd

Silver

Post by moneybagsphd » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'll out the firm if anyone wants.
do it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:43 pm

That's outrageous behavior on his part. You should bring this to the attention of the your firm's managing partner ASAP.

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:45 pm

you're an idiot whether or not this actually happened.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

androstan

Gold

Post by androstan » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:46 pm

chimp wrote:

you're an idiot whether or not this actually happened.
+1

Joeshan520

Bronze

Post by Joeshan520 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:53 pm

There's no way this is true, you would be decapitated at my firm if you tried to pull some shit like that. Not only that but you would be black listed at every cohort firm by every partner. If it did happen, no your role and shut your mouth.

flem

Diamond

Post by flem » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:41 pm

monkey85

Bronze

Post by monkey85 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:49 pm

Entertainment target for the day = not yet met.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:45 pm

I would love to be a fly on the wall during OP's 3L OCI interviews (if OP actually happened, which it did not).

So, why didn't you get an offer?
Well, they just didn't sufficiently appreciate my superior legal mind.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:57 pm

OP- This you after that partner told you to leave his office?

http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo16 ... ladje4.gif

McQueen

New

Post by McQueen » Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:00 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:So, why didn't you get an offer?
Well, they just didn't sufficiently appreciate my superior legal mind.
You too?? :lol:

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:03 pm

Pretty bad flame. 3/10. Maybe.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”