Partner at v50 just yelled at me for NO reason

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273458
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Partner at v50 just yelled at me for NO reason

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:47 am

Basically I just went into his office and told him that I didn't think the SA's were given enough responsibility and that he was underutilizing me. I could understand giving me the work that he did for a few days, or maybe a few weeks, I told him, but after a month I could pretty much do his job. I didn't say it disrespectfully, just truthfully. He snapped at me and told me to leave his office and I was completely shocked that he would treat a summer associate this way. I've produced top-notch work this summer (almost every time an associate has corrected my work I proved that I was right, anyway).

I hope this doesn't keep me from getting an offer. I'll out the firm if anyone wants.

[e]When I saw him this morning in the hallway I nodded hello but he just shook his head. This is way too hostile for me. It's my last day but I think I might go quit right now if this is how I'm going to be treated. Should I? And should it be dramatic, or just a quiet letter slipped under the doors of the partners I've met?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

RPK34
Posts: 522
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Partner at v50 just yelled at me for NO reason

Postby RPK34 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:50 am

Is this serious?

User avatar
KibblesAndVick
Posts: 541
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:29 am

Re: Partner at v50 just yelled at me for NO reason

Postby KibblesAndVick » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:51 am

5/10

User avatar
pjo
Posts: 610
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:14 pm

Re: Partner at v50 just yelled at me for NO reason

Postby pjo » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:52 am

Anonymous User wrote:Basically I just went into his office and told him that I didn't think the SA's were given enough responsibility and that he was underutilizing me. I could understand giving me the work that he did for a few days, or maybe a few weeks, I told him, but after a month I could pretty much do his job. I didn't say it disrespectfully, just truthfully. He snapped at me and told me to leave his office and I was completely shocked that he would treat a summer associate this way. I've produced top-notch work this summer (almost every time an associate has corrected my work I proved that I was right, anyway).

I hope this doesn't keep me from getting an offer. I'll out the firm if anyone wants.



Either this is a flame, or you have no understanding of the corporate hierarchy. "I told him I could pretty much do his job" -> why in the world would you say this, ever, even if it is true? I wouldn't say that to my manager if I was working at a McDonalds.

User avatar
sunynp
Posts: 1899
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 2:06 pm

Re: Partner at v50 just yelled at me for NO reason

Postby sunynp » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:54 am

You need to out the firm because no one is going to believe anyone is this stupid.
I believe almost everyone and even I think this is a flame.

letsdoit
Posts: 164
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:02 pm

Re: Partner at v50 just yelled at me for NO reason

Postby letsdoit » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:55 am

pjo wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Basically I just went into his office and told him that I didn't think the SA's were given enough responsibility and that he was underutilizing me. I could understand giving me the work that he did for a few days, or maybe a few weeks, I told him, but after a month I could pretty much do his job. I didn't say it disrespectfully, just truthfully. He snapped at me and told me to leave his office and I was completely shocked that he would treat a summer associate this way. I've produced top-notch work this summer (almost every time an associate has corrected my work I proved that I was right, anyway).

I hope this doesn't keep me from getting an offer. I'll out the firm if anyone wants.



Either this is a flame, or you have no understanding of the corporate hierarchy. "I told him I could pretty much do his job" -> why in the world would you say this, ever, even if it is true? I wouldn't say that to my manager if I was working at a McDonalds.


zero chance this actually happened.

JetsFan1990
Posts: 125
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:41 am

Re: Partner at v50 just yelled at me for NO reason

Postby JetsFan1990 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:56 am

sunynp wrote:You need to out the firm because no one is going to believe anyone is this stupid.
I believe almost everyone and even I think this is a flame.

RPK34
Posts: 522
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Partner at v50 just yelled at me for NO reason

Postby RPK34 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:56 am

There's actually an ATL story of a kid from Penn at one of the top firms who emailed all the partners telling him he could do more challenging work and that his superior legal mind wasn't being put to good use at their firm. Wish I could fine the story. So there are people out there that lack any resemblance of self awareness.

edit: Story here

http://abovethelaw.com/2011/08/lawsuit- ... 7-million/

dkb17xzx
Posts: 405
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:25 pm

Re: Partner at v50 just yelled at me for NO reason

Postby dkb17xzx » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:00 am

RPK34 wrote:There's actually an ATL story of a kid from Penn at one of the top firms who emailed all the partners telling him he could do more challenging work and that his superior legal mind wasn't being put to good use at their firm. Wish I could fine the story. So there are people out there that lack any resemblance of self awareness.

edit: Story here

http://abovethelaw.com/2011/08/lawsuit- ... 7-million/


EDIT: scooped
Last edited by dkb17xzx on Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: Partner at v50 just yelled at me for NO reason

Postby traehekat » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:00 am

Yeaaaahh... I don't think so.

NotMyRealName09
Posts: 1394
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:50 pm

Re: Partner at v50 just yelled at me for NO reason

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:12 am

If this actually happened and I was the partner, I would, that moment, see what I could do to get you fired that instant. What a doucher - but this is too unbelievable.

User avatar
Bosque
Posts: 1585
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:14 pm

Re: Partner at v50 just yelled at me for NO reason

Postby Bosque » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:15 am

Image

Anonymous User
Posts: 273458
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Partner at v50 just yelled at me for NO reason

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:26 am

Something very similar to this actually did happen in my office this summer. People are this stupid.

User avatar
bceagles182
Posts: 615
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:53 pm

Re: Partner at v50 just yelled at me for NO reason

Postby bceagles182 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:28 am

Very obvious flame

User avatar
moneybagsphd
Posts: 889
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:07 pm

Re: Partner at v50 just yelled at me for NO reason

Postby moneybagsphd » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'll out the firm if anyone wants.

do it.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273458
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Partner at v50 just yelled at me for NO reason

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:43 pm

That's outrageous behavior on his part. You should bring this to the attention of the your firm's managing partner ASAP.

071816
Posts: 5511
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:06 pm

Re: Partner at v50 just yelled at me for NO reason

Postby 071816 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Basically I just went into his office and told him that I didn't think the SA's were given enough responsibility and that he was underutilizing me. I could understand giving me the work that he did for a few days, or maybe a few weeks, I told him, but after a month I could pretty much do his job. I didn't say it disrespectfully, just truthfully. He snapped at me and told me to leave his office and I was completely shocked that he would treat a summer associate this way. I've produced top-notch work this summer (almost every time an associate has corrected my work I proved that I was right, anyway).

I hope this doesn't keep me from getting an offer. I'll out the firm if anyone wants.

you're an idiot whether or not this actually happened.

User avatar
androstan
Posts: 2646
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:07 am

Re: Partner at v50 just yelled at me for NO reason

Postby androstan » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:46 pm

chimp wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Basically I just went into his office and told him that I didn't think the SA's were given enough responsibility and that he was underutilizing me. I could understand giving me the work that he did for a few days, or maybe a few weeks, I told him, but after a month I could pretty much do his job. I didn't say it disrespectfully, just truthfully. He snapped at me and told me to leave his office and I was completely shocked that he would treat a summer associate this way. I've produced top-notch work this summer (almost every time an associate has corrected my work I proved that I was right, anyway).

I hope this doesn't keep me from getting an offer. I'll out the firm if anyone wants.

you're an idiot whether or not this actually happened.


+1

Joeshan520
Posts: 183
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:05 pm

Re: Partner at v50 just yelled at me for NO reason

Postby Joeshan520 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:53 pm

There's no way this is true, you would be decapitated at my firm if you tried to pull some shit like that. Not only that but you would be black listed at every cohort firm by every partner. If it did happen, no your role and shut your mouth.

User avatar
flem
Posts: 12949
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:44 pm

Re: Partner at v50 just yelled at me for NO reason

Postby flem » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:41 pm

139

User avatar
monkey85
Posts: 394
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:07 pm

Re: Partner at v50 just yelled at me for NO reason

Postby monkey85 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:49 pm

Entertainment target for the day = not yet met.

ToTransferOrNot
Posts: 1928
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:45 am

Re: Partner at v50 just yelled at me for NO reason

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:45 pm

I would love to be a fly on the wall during OP's 3L OCI interviews (if OP actually happened, which it did not).

So, why didn't you get an offer?
Well, they just didn't sufficiently appreciate my superior legal mind.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273458
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Partner at v50 just yelled at me for NO reason

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:57 pm

OP- This you after that partner told you to leave his office?

http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo16 ... ladje4.gif

McQueen
Posts: 38
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:48 pm

Re: Partner at v50 just yelled at me for NO reason

Postby McQueen » Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:00 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:So, why didn't you get an offer?
Well, they just didn't sufficiently appreciate my superior legal mind.

You too?? :lol:

User avatar
BarbellDreams
Posts: 2256
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:10 pm

Re: Partner at v50 just yelled at me for NO reason

Postby BarbellDreams » Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:03 pm

Pretty bad flame. 3/10. Maybe.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.