chances at STB, GDC, and Irell

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

chances at STB, GDC, and Irell

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:17 pm

3.2-3.3ish at CLS w/ secondary journal, have screeners at Simpson (NY), Gibson (LA), and Irell (LA). Do I have a shot, or will this be a huge waste of time. Should I try something really different at the interview, just to see if I can get a callback?

lawyerwannabe

Re: chances at STB, GDC, and Irell

Postby lawyerwannabe » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:21 pm

If you have screeners you may as well give it your all. Your chances are probably best at Simpson from that group. The other two will probably be an uphill climb because of grades.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:22 pm

Your odds are poor but not quite zero at each firm. Do the screening interviews and treat them like real interviews. Worst case scenario is you get some practice.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:23 pm

lawyerwannabe wrote:If you have screeners you may as well give it your all. Your chances are probably best at Simpson from that group. The other two will probably be an uphill climb because of grades.

that's what i was thinking. if i've got a finance degree, and some summer banking experience should i express an interest in PE for simpson?

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
lawyerwannabe wrote:If you have screeners you may as well give it your all. Your chances are probably best at Simpson from that group. The other two will probably be an uphill climb because of grades.

that's what i was thinking. if i've got a finance degree, and some summer banking experience should i express an interest in PE for simpson?

It won't matter much.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:37 pm

Isn't that around median at CLS? If so chances are poor, very poor.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Isn't that around median at CLS? If so chances are poor, very poor.

No, his chance at STB is still decent. Median students at Cornell can get into STB in the last two years.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:59 pm

Out of curiosity, and w/out totally thread jacking--what are chances like at Irell for a Boalites w/top 10-20% (guesstimate)?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Out of curiosity, and w/out totally thread jacking--what are chances like at Irell for a Boalites w/top 10-20% (guesstimate)?

Mostly H's with one or two HH's should do the trick. Might need more HH's if you've got P's. They're also more lenient with grades if want to do patent lit and have the right tech background (EE/CS).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Isn't that around median at CLS? If so chances are poor, very poor.

No, his chance at STB is still decent. Median students at Cornell can get into STB in the last two years.

CB avg for STB at Cornell was top 20% grades. Just because a few median kids get in doesn't mean his chances are "decent"

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Out of curiosity, and w/out totally thread jacking--what are chances like at Irell for a Boalites w/top 10-20% (guesstimate)?

Mostly H's with one or two HH's should do the trick. Might need more HH's if you've got P's. They're also more lenient with grades if want to do patent lit and have the right tech background (EE/CS).

Mostly H/some HH with EE background should get you Irell (i.e., top 25%)
Without EE, you're probably going to need top 10%

FlightoftheEarls

Postby FlightoftheEarls » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

CB avg for STB at Cornell was top 20% grades. Just because a few median kids get in doesn't mean his chances are "decent"

This. I started to post something similar, but I only have Cornell's Paul Weiss and Skadden data to infer Cornell's placement from (which, although different firms, does not even get close to supporting any sort of "median placement" argument). Regardless, saying that Cornell can get STB from median hardly means that median at Cornell has even close to a good chance. Decent trolling attempt, regardless.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:00 pm

No P's for irell (HH to cancel every one you have), probably some leeway if you're EE but definitely not much. that being said OP, irell is probably a no go for you, and gibson is a long shot.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:00 pm

(Boaltie who asked about Irell here)

Awesome, thanks guys! You seem to know a lot more about grades at Boalt than I do...is 2hh/3h/2p (9/14/4 hours) roughly top 10%? 20-25%? Thanks for any info; I promise this is my last interjection.

sarcasticswede

Postby sarcasticswede » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:17 pm

anon boaltie PM me if you want more info.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:38 pm

FlightoftheEarls wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

This. I started to post something similar, but I only have Cornell's Paul Weiss and Skadden data to infer Cornell's placement from (which, although different firms, does not even get close to supporting any sort of "median placement" argument). Regardless, saying that Cornell can get STB from median hardly means that median at Cornell has even close to a good chance. Decent trolling attempt, regardless.

Same thing at NU. Simpson and Sullivan have called back and presumably offered (since they have a high callback -> offer rate) median people the last couple of years, but that doesn't mean you don't need to be top 1/4 to have a "good chance." Obviously I don't know what it's like at Columbia.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:52 pm

I got all three with top 5% at GULC. Not sure where your GPA places you at Columbia. I think STB is probably least selective (and biggest class size) of those firms.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:04 am

similar position as you. from what i've seen/heard, i think irell is basically an interview you do for fun. the other two are possibilities, ive heard stb is harder and gdc is harder, who knows..

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:53 am

what about suggesting that you're interested in corporate/m&a at a place like irell, would it make it a bit easier if you were aiming for one of their less well known areas?

Return to “Legal Employment”