A+ on resume

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
rubicante

A+ on resume

Postby rubicante » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:21 am

Quick question: Should an A+ (top student in class, worth 4.33) go on the resume under 'honors'? If so, what formatting would people recommend? I was thinking: A+ in [class] (top student in class)

For better or worse, I got this grade in what is very much a niche seminar (class size ~10, rather than a big doctrinal class, so it's probably not as impressive as it could be.

Thanks

turbotong

Re: A+ on resume

Postby turbotong » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:23 am

No. It goes on your transcript.

RPK34

Postby RPK34 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:24 am

I wouldn't do this. Listing "Cali Award," would be one thing, but the actual letter grade seems pretentious

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:27 am

Not unless they give out an actual award for it (CALI, etc.)

apparentlynew

Postby apparentlynew » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:28 am

Don't do that. A grade is not an honor. It is a grade.

Grade Point Average = your grades

Honors = honors

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:36 am

RPK34 wrote:I wouldn't do this. Listing "Cali Award," would be one thing, but the actual letter grade seems pretentious

+1 unless the class is relevant to the job you are applying to

E.g. Crim pro for PD work, Federal courts for clerkship etc

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:53 am

I listed mine on my resume. Probably 3/4 of interviewers explicitly mentioned it in a very positive fashion. Mine were in traditional big 1L classes though so maybe a seminar won't have the same effect.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:37 pm

I listed mine also. I did:

High Honors Grades: X, Y, Z
Honors Grades: A, B, C

Though at my school certain grades are designated as high honors and honors. Our CSO recommends that we do it like that FWIW.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:36 pm

I think it depends on how common an A+ is at your school. If it is akin to a CALI (i.e. only 1 per class) then maybe include it. If it is just part of the GPA calculations then probably don't include it. I don't know about you but at my school they were pretty common and after just graduating with 6 A+'s over the course of law school, I would feel a little ridiculous including them on my resume. If it is really just a top student in the class honor then maybe include such a notation (that you were the top student in the class) but leave out the fact it's an A+...that will come out on the transcript but you still get the point across. Also I don't think it matters that it was in a seminar as opposed to a doctrinal class, you were the top student in the class so include it.

memo2partner

Postby memo2partner » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:47 pm

Just leave it in your transcript. Did you only get one A+ in law school? You will be going up against people with lots of A+'s on their transcripts.

Return to “Legal Employment”