Why this firm?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Why this firm?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:13 am

In OCI, when firms ask, so why do you want to work for this firm, what are they looking for?

Obviously I cant say cuz they pay 160k a year etc...

Bosque

Re: Why this firm?

Postby Bosque » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:33 am

Why that firm instead of any of the others where you can do the same job at the same salary. It is your opportunity to show the interviewer that you have researched the firm and know something about them. This could be the location, a pro bono partnership, a lawyer who works there that you know, a specific practice area, ect. Just so long as you convey that you have thought about it more than throwing a dart at a wall covered with the names of every firm that pays market.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:12 am

Anyone have any examples that worked well for specific firms?

Meep13

Postby Meep13 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:30 am

bump

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:32 am

I really like your free market system of distributing work etc... is one that I can think of.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:28 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone have any examples that worked well for specific firms?

I tended to go with some combo of locatation, size, and one or two practice areas I was interested in that I could try to tie back to my own experiences (even if it was just "general commercial litigation"). But tie it in to your own narrative. It shouldn't sound like 5 lines from the website strung together.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:47 pm

Are high employment satisfaction rates a good reason, or does that make a student sound picky?

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Are high employment satisfaction rates a good reason, or does that make a student sound picky?

Not a bad thing to say if you have other reasons, but I'd try to highlight why your interests align w the firm's and how you fit in.

Bosque

Postby Bosque » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:00 pm

rad lulz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Are high employment satisfaction rates a good reason, or does that make a student sound picky?

Not a bad thing to say if you have other reasons, but I'd try to highlight why your interests align w the firm's and how you fit in.

The bolded. You want the answer to be specific to you of you can, not just a general explanation of how awesome you think the firm is. You want them to come away with the impression that you and the firm are fated to be together, no matter who the other candidates are.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:36 pm

It doesn't always have to by hyper specific. Cravath isn't going to expect a 500 word essay on why you like them and do not like Skadden.

When you can work in specifics ("I like flip flopps and so do you, Quinn - let's get married") so much the better, but generally location/practice area is a great start.

When firms ask where else you are interviewing, it's a similar inquiry. If you respond with firms all over the country/all over the map in terms of practice areas, they'll know you're a flake. If you mention all of their peer firms in the area, then you'll look like somebody who knows - as much as any rising 2L can - what you're looking for.

TTH

Postby TTH » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone have any examples that worked well for specific firms?

I have a low self-worth and really enjoy living on the edge, so naturally I applied to Latham.

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:53 pm

TTH wrote:

I have a low self-worth and really enjoy living on the edge, so naturally I applied to Latham.

Took me a while, but +1

Return to “Legal Employment”