Where should I be applying?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
cards11

Where should I be applying?

Postby cards11 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:21 pm

Hi all,

Long time lurker, first time poster here. I've been an idiot this summer and barely done anything regarding the 2L job search, and now I'm panicking.

I'm at MVP, about top 1/3 or so, basically K-JD (finance major), and have no ties to any market but my hometown (a large-ish southwestern city). Seeking the best transactional work I can get. Based on this interest, I'm focusing exclusively on large NYC firms at OCI. I had a 1L SA with a respectable firm in my hometown and am very grateful to have received an offer. Unfortunately, I hate my hometown with a passion and absolutely do not want to live there if I can get the opportunity not to.

Aside from the firms I'll be interviewing with at OCI, where else should I be looking? It seems as though almost every firm with a great transactional reputation, regardless of location, is coming to OCI.

- Can I still mass-mail the firms that I didn't bid on, or are they just going to wonder why I didn't apply at OCI?

- Are there any transactional-oriented smaller/boutique firms with great reputations in NYC (I haven't found any) or elsewhere?

- Is it worth mass mailing to large Chicago or LA firms (that are coming to OCI) without ties? I'd add DC, but I've heard that transactional opportunities there are limited. Are there other markets that I should consider?

- How bad do I need to be to strike out at OCI bidding strictly on NYC firms with top 1/3 grades at MVP?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Anonymous User

Re: Where should I be applying?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:41 pm

Tagged for almost identical situation (top 1/3rd MVP, K-JD, NYC transactional).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:02 pm

Bump

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:20 pm

cards11 wrote:- Can I still mass-mail the firms that I didn't bid on, or are they just going to wonder why I didn't apply at OCI?

any advice on this?

sambeber

Postby sambeber » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:
cards11 wrote:- Can I still mass-mail the firms that I didn't bid on, or are they just going to wonder why I didn't apply at OCI?

any advice on this?

What's the downside? You don't get an interview, exactly the same situation as if you didn't mass mail. Go for it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:22 am

sambeber wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

any advice on this?

What's the downside? You don't get an interview, exactly the same situation as if you didn't mass mail. Go for it.

what about if you're planning on stalking some of the firms at OCI and trying to interview with them there (even though you didn't bid on them)? It will only help to have applied prior, right? Or will it just give them an opportunity to reject you before meeting you face to face?

Return to “Legal Employment”