PSA: Closed Doors Doesn't Matter

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: PSA: Closed Doors Doesn't Matter

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:41 pm

I posted about a firm's closed doors in a different thread, but I was trying to be polite. Closed doors was a euphemism for "it seemed like a miserable hellhole and the office looked like a bathroom." But my experience could have been colored by their reputation.

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:52 pm

Rurik wrote:
IAFG wrote:Who the fuck wants to work with their door open.

Me. My assistant is right out the door and I can yell things to her without getting up. It's a very effective system.

Your assistant probably hates you.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:52 pm

Fresh Prince wrote:
Rurik wrote:

Me. My assistant is right out the door and I can yell things to her without getting up. It's a very effective system.

Your assistant probably hates you.

the price you pay for a collegial atmosphere, clearly

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:57 pm

Rurik wrote:

That's exactly why I hate working with my door open; fuckwads who would rather yell than inconvenience themselves by getting off their squishy asses.

Renne Walker

Postby Renne Walker » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:07 pm

The nice thing about normally keeping your door open is that when you shut it, nobody just drops by to chit-chat.

Rurik

Postby Rurik » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:13 pm

IAFG wrote:
Rurik wrote:

That's exactly why I hate working with my door open; fuckwads who would rather yell than inconvenience themselves by getting off their squishy asses.

You mean the type who can't get up to close the door when they need to discuss something sensitive so they just leave it closed all the time? rood

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:18 pm

Rurik wrote:
IAFG wrote:
Rurik wrote:

You mean the type who can't get up to close the door when they need to discuss something sensitive so they just leave it closed all the time? rood

I guarantee you that yelling at your assistant is a billion times more rude. Jesus.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:23 pm

This thread might be the one that finally jolts me free of my desire to check this godforsaken forum on a regular basis.

Rurik

Postby Rurik » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:23 pm

Fresh Prince wrote:I guarantee you that yelling at your assistant is a billion times more rude. Jesus.

I wasn't actually serious about that. Jesus. However, we can talk more about your squishy ass if you would like.

Renne Walker

Postby Renne Walker » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:05 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:This thread might be the one that finally jolts me free of my desire to check this godforsaken forum on a regular basis.

Don't leave, you'll miss what's coming next. Our next thread will explore the best kind of coat hangers to bring to the office. And why are some people so inconsiderate as to hang their jackets on a door coat hanger. How unprofessional is that?? It's major (the duration of that thread is expected to go seven pages).
Last edited by Renne Walker on Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:08 pm

Credited.

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:13 pm

I don't understand that either, tbh. Open door would drive me nuts.

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:20 pm

dresden doll wrote:

I'm looking forward to it, actually. I've only been in open-plan, and I like being around people but hate the noise level on this floor. Seems like an office with an open door would be the perfect solution for me, at least.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:35 pm

dresden doll wrote:

My firm is mostly own door, but the thought that you could judge an office culture by whether the office doors are open or closed is crazy, or maybe exactly the kind of thing that a law student with no "social intelligence" would come up with as a test to try to compensate for their total lack of awareness. While folks in my office generally have their door open, on any given day a bunch of folks could be slammed, or on calls, and their doors will be shut.

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:48 pm

Emma. wrote:
dresden doll wrote:

My firm is mostly own door, but the thought that you could judge an office culture by whether the office doors are open or closed is crazy, or maybe exactly the kind of thing that a law student with no "social intelligence" would come up with as a test to try to compensate for their total lack of awareness. While folks in my office generally have their door open, on any given day a bunch of folks could be slammed, or on calls, and their doors will be shut.

Thank you.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:26 am

Fresh Prince wrote:
Jessuf wrote:Does anyone ever knock?

Plenty.

Credited. Plenty of people are happy to talk ab their project if I have questions if I just want to drop by. Also, no one's like GTFO I'M ON A CALL AND TSO BUSY. If they are, I just see that and come back later. No one gives a shit.

Lawyerhead

Postby Lawyerhead » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:30 am

Morgan12Oak wrote:PSA: CLOSED DOORS MATTER

This thread is dumb. Closed doors is just one of many things that tells you about the culture of a firm, and its not dispositive, but nothing is, even if someone says they hate their firm.

If people tell you "most people close their doors" it tells you about their culture.

Oh and PSA: saying PSA before your thread doesn't make you seem less douchey.

Can't tell if you're serious or not....

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:41 am

Emma. wrote:
dresden doll wrote:

If someone interviewed at my firm after noon on a Friday, around half the partners' doors would be shut. Because they're at their beach houses.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:47 am

IAFG wrote:If someone interviewed at my firm after noon on a Friday, around half the partners' doors would be shut. Because they're at their beach houses.

I rarely see offices with doors closed when people are not in, it seems kind of strange that they would close their doors.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:25 am

But gais, I don't have the social intelligence to know whether s someone can talk our not WITHOUT A CLEAR UNAMBIGUOUS SIGNAL

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:40 am

rad lulz wrote:
Fresh Prince wrote:
Jessuf wrote:Does anyone ever knock?

Plenty.

Credited. Plenty of people are happy to talk ab their project if I have questions if I just want to drop by. Also, no one's like GTFO I'M ON A CALL AND TSO BUSY. If they are, I just see that and come back later. No one gives a shit.

Is this just dat SOUTHERN HOSPITALITY or does this also happen in sweatshop NYC?

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:18 pm

r6_philly wrote:
IAFG wrote:If someone interviewed at my firm after noon on a Friday, around half the partners' doors would be shut. Because they're at their beach houses.

I rarely see offices with doors closed when people are not in, it seems kind of strange that they would close their doors.

I prefer to close my door because I find hallway chitchat very distracting.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:54 pm

Fresh Prince wrote:
To be fair, there are very few summer associates out there that are open doors.

i was open door all summer as an SA as were most of the SAs at my firm. recruiting mentioned that they preferred open doors, so i think most people followed suit. i doubt it is that uncommon.

edit: oops, didnt mean to be anon

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fresh Prince wrote:
To be fair, there are very few summer associates out there that are open doors.

i was open door all summer as an SA as were most of the SAs at my firm. recruiting mentioned that they preferred open doors, so i think most people followed suit. i doubt it is that uncommon.

edit: oops, didnt mean to be anon

I was making a grammar joke. Dude used a dangling modifier.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:54 pm

Me. When you work in an interior office and your only way to get even ambient real lite is to keep the door open, you keep the motherfucker open.

Return to “Legal Employment”