PSA: Closed Doors Doesn't Matter

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
Old Gregg
Posts: 5413
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:26 pm

PSA: Closed Doors Doesn't Matter

Postby Old Gregg » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:35 pm

I see a lot posts here discounting firms on callback or follow-up interviews because a lot of attorneys have closed doors. For that, only one thing needs to be said:

Stop being an idiot and try to think harder.


People close their doors for many reasons. Me? I have a lot of foot traffic in the area. More importantly, I often get sensitive calls that even other attorneys shouldn't be listening to. It's way too cumbersome to start the call, get up, and shut the door rather than keep it shut the whole time.

Just because a door is shut, that doesn't mean that the attorneys are less willing to talk or help or whatever. I am more than happy to talk to anyone who knocks.

That is all.

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: PSA: Closed Doors Doesn't Matter

Postby fatduck » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:38 pm

would you say that you WORK HARD, PLAY HARD?

User avatar
Old Gregg
Posts: 5413
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:26 pm

Re: PSA: Closed Doors Doesn't Matter

Postby Old Gregg » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:44 pm

Fuck no. All I want is sleep.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: PSA: Closed Doors Doesn't Matter

Postby r6_philly » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:50 pm

Fresh Prince wrote:Fuck no. All I want is sleep.


So do you get to sleep with your doors closed?

User avatar
Old Gregg
Posts: 5413
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:26 pm

Re: PSA: Closed Doors Doesn't Matter

Postby Old Gregg » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:53 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Fresh Prince wrote:Fuck no. All I want is sleep.


So do you get to sleep with your doors closed?


I'm sure some do, but I have a lot of coffee to stop that from happening to me.

User avatar
thelawyler
Posts: 902
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:00 pm

Re: PSA: Closed Doors Doesn't Matter

Postby thelawyler » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:53 pm

Fresh Prince wrote:Fuck no. All I want is sleep.


Do you WORK HARD SLEEP HARD?

Morgan12Oak
Posts: 451
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:59 am

Re: PSA: Closed Doors Doesn't Matter

Postby Morgan12Oak » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:13 pm

PSA: CLOSED DOORS MATTER

This thread is dumb. Closed doors is just one of many things that tells you about the culture of a firm, and its not dispositive, but nothing is, even if someone says they hate their firm.

If people tell you "most people close their doors" it tells you about their culture.

Oh and PSA: saying PSA before your thread doesn't make you seem less douchey.

jd20132013
Posts: 997
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:41 pm

Re: PSA: Closed Doors Doesn't Matter

Postby jd20132013 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:14 pm

Morgan12Oak wrote:PSA: CLOSED DOORS MATTER

This thread is dumb. Closed doors is just one of many things that tells you about the culture of a firm, and its not dispositive, but nothing is, even if someone says they hate their firm.

If people tell you "most people close their doors" it tells you about their culture.

Oh and PSA: saying PSA before your thread doesn't make you seem less douchey.



i think i'll trust a practicing biglaw attorney over a 2L

no offense, of course

Anonymous User
Posts: 273433
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: PSA: Closed Doors Doesn't Matter

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:15 pm

As a summer associate, open doors were great. Closed doors definitely would have cut back on how often I interacted with attorneys and other summers. I'm really glad I took it into consideration when making my choice on firms.

User avatar
Old Gregg
Posts: 5413
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:26 pm

Re: PSA: Closed Doors Doesn't Matter

Postby Old Gregg » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:17 pm

Plenty of people socialize at my firm. Closed doors doesn't mean anything other than that you should knock. Anything else that inhibits you from interacting with another attorney is entirely self-inflicted.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273433
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: PSA: Closed Doors Doesn't Matter

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:17 pm

jd20132013 wrote:i think i'll trust a practicing biglaw attorney over a 2L

no offense, of course


Or, you know, different things matter to different people. You don't think I could find a practicing biglaw attorney who thinks that open doors are the greatest thing ever?

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: PSA: Closed Doors Doesn't Matter

Postby fatduck » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:As a summer associate, open doors were great. Closed doors definitely would have cut back on how often I interacted with attorneys and other summers. I'm really glad I took it into consideration when making my choice on firms.

open door firms must be extremely rare if you needed to post this anonymously


also, counterpoint: as a summer associate, if i went to go talk to another attorney, the status of their door meant nothing except that if the door was closed i'd glance in to see if they were on the phone. CHILLING EFFECTS.

Morgan12Oak
Posts: 451
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:59 am

Re: PSA: Closed Doors Doesn't Matter

Postby Morgan12Oak » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:19 pm

I obviously agree that theres points at where you need to close your door, but I'm just saying as a summer/first year, it would be nice to be at a firm where everyone has their door open by default, and when the door is closed that means that you should not enter because you are busy/on the phone.

It's easier/nicer not having to knock and take the chance that you're actually interrupting.

User avatar
Old Gregg
Posts: 5413
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:26 pm

Re: PSA: Closed Doors Doesn't Matter

Postby Old Gregg » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:19 pm

LOL.

Figures some guys wouldn't get my point. It wasn't that people shouldn't take socialization into consideration. It was that there is no correlation between closed doors and said socialization, which is why that's a dumb factor to look at.

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: PSA: Closed Doors Doesn't Matter

Postby fatduck » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:20 pm

Morgan12Oak wrote:It's easier/nicer not having to knock and take the chance that you're actually interrupting.

you're interrupting whether the door is open or closed.

User avatar
Old Gregg
Posts: 5413
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:26 pm

Re: PSA: Closed Doors Doesn't Matter

Postby Old Gregg » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:20 pm

It's easier/nicer not having to knock and take the chance that you're actually interrupting.


Aspie alert?

If you were interrupting, the attorney would not respond to your knock. That's the point of the knock...

User avatar
Old Gregg
Posts: 5413
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:26 pm

Re: PSA: Closed Doors Doesn't Matter

Postby Old Gregg » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:21 pm

fatduck wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:As a summer associate, open doors were great. Closed doors definitely would have cut back on how often I interacted with attorneys and other summers. I'm really glad I took it into consideration when making my choice on firms.

open door firms must be extremely rare if you needed to post this anonymously


also, counterpoint: as a summer associate, if i went to go talk to another attorney, the status of their door meant nothing except that if the door was closed i'd glance in to see if they were on the phone. CHILLING EFFECTS.


To be fair, there are very few summer associates out there that are open doors.

Morgan12Oak
Posts: 451
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:59 am

Re: PSA: Closed Doors Doesn't Matter

Postby Morgan12Oak » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:21 pm

I wasn't talking about me, I'm just saying these are general reasons why closed doors might matter to some people.

PSA: people have different preferences

PSA: Am I speaking your language now? (edit: almost forgot the PSA)
Last edited by Morgan12Oak on Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273433
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: PSA: Closed Doors Doesn't Matter

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:22 pm

Fresh Prince wrote:Plenty of people socialize at my firm. Closed doors doesn't mean anything other than that you should knock. Anything else that inhibits you from interacting with another attorney is entirely self-inflicted.


At my firm, open door = I'm free to talk / drop in if you have a question or want to chat; and closed door = I'm busy / don't disturb me. At your firm, closed door = I'm free to talk / I'm asleep / I'm working on something sensitive and you can't come in / I don't want to be disturbed / I'm out of the office. It just seems like the first system makes more sense to me. I also just think that open doors are less intimidating to very junior associates at the firm. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Morgan12Oak
Posts: 451
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:59 am

Re: PSA: Closed Doors Doesn't Matter

Postby Morgan12Oak » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fresh Prince wrote:Plenty of people socialize at my firm. Closed doors doesn't mean anything other than that you should knock. Anything else that inhibits you from interacting with another attorney is entirely self-inflicted.


At my firm, open door = I'm free to talk / drop in if you have a question or want to chat; and closed door = I'm busy / don't disturb me. At your firm, closed door = I'm free to talk / I'm asleep / I'm working on something sensitive and you can't come in / I don't want to be disturbed / I'm out of the office. It just seems like the first system makes more sense to me. I also just think that open doors are less intimidating to very junior associates at the firm. Different strokes for different folks I guess.


I don't even know what = the fuck you just said. And why you post something = incomprehensible anonymously is odd / weird / beta as fuck.

User avatar
Old Gregg
Posts: 5413
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:26 pm

Re: PSA: Closed Doors Doesn't Matter

Postby Old Gregg » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:25 pm

And hence the purpose of the PSA:

Closed door does not mean you can't talk or that the associate doesn't want to be disturbed. Any inhibition you feel is entirely self-imposed, so drop it,

User avatar
jessuf
Posts: 12555
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:27 pm

Re: PSA: Closed Doors Doesn't Matter

Postby jessuf » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:30 pm

Does anyone ever knock?

User avatar
Old Gregg
Posts: 5413
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:26 pm

Re: PSA: Closed Doors Doesn't Matter

Postby Old Gregg » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:32 pm

Jessuf wrote:Does anyone ever knock?


Plenty.

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: PSA: Closed Doors Doesn't Matter

Postby IAFG » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:34 pm

Who the fuck wants to work with their door open.

User avatar
Rurik
Posts: 107
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:35 pm

Re: PSA: Closed Doors Doesn't Matter

Postby Rurik » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:35 pm

IAFG wrote:Who the fuck wants to work with their door open.


Me. My assistant is right out the door and I can yell things to her without getting up. It's a very effective system.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.