Drop any of these OCI screeners?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Drop any of these OCI screeners?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:24 pm

Have an offer which I would be happy to take (V10), but doing OCI at my CCN to see if there's a firm out there that might fit me better. Should I drop any of these firms?

Interests: mainly corporate, would like to do 1 or 2 litigation projects just to make sure. Exit options. Friendly culture with no screamers. Soft IP or tech transactions.

Thanks!

Kaye Scholer
Schulte Roth & Zabel
WilmerHale
Linklaters
Kramer Levin
Cahill Gordon
Hughes Hubbard

Anonymous User

Re: Drop any of these OCI screeners?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:42 pm

Bump just because I have only a couple more hours to make this decision (and sorry, I should have asked earlier!). I have been researching the firms but they all look like they do the kind of work I'm interested in, but I've seen mention on TLS that, for example, Kramer Levin is more of a litigation firm, and Kaye Scholer has management issues. Any thoughts?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:45 pm

I've heard good things about WilmerHale, and they might fit the bill for you.

Call me crazy, but I'd probably just accept the V10 offer if it's one you'd truly be happy with.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I've heard good things about WilmerHale, and they might fit the bill for you.

Call me crazy, but I'd probably just accept the V10 offer if it's one you'd truly be happy with.

Haha you're right, I'm very tempted to take the offer. My hold-up is that the firm is very corporate-focused, with pretty much no IP work. I know that straight corporate gives you the best exit options, but I can't get away from the idea that maybe I would be happy to stay longer at a firm that had a trademark prosecution and IP counseling/transactions or tech group that I fit in well with.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I've heard good things about WilmerHale, and they might fit the bill for you.

Haha you're right, I'm very tempted to take the offer. My hold-up is that the firm is very corporate-focused, with pretty much no IP work. I know that straight corporate gives you the best exit options, but I can't get away from the idea that maybe I would be happy to stay longer at a firm that had a trademark prosecution and IP counseling/transactions or tech group that I fit in well with.

I get what you're saying. WilmerHale is interviewing pretty heavily for IP this year according to my source. I can't speak to the rest of them.

I think if it were me, I would only interview with the firms on that list that made their IP departments major players. I think it's easy to forget that practice groups get treated differently depending on their importance to the firm. Were you able to get any experience with a boutique so that you're sure a tech group would make a switch worth your while?

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:04 pm

I take it you're a rising 2L? I probably wouldn't take any of these over any V10. Maybe Wilmer. Don't know a ton about IP stuff but knowing a bit about several of the other firms generally, it's really not a contest.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:09 pm

Honestly, the v10 firm>all the firms listed.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:22 pm

Thanks everyone for your input. I have deleted Kaye Scholer and SRZ. Any more thoughts on soft IP transactional/prosecution or media work at the others?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks everyone for your input. I have deleted Kaye Scholer and SRZ. Any more thoughts on soft IP transactional/prosecution or media work at the others?

Kaye Scholer doesn't have management issues (anymore; I think they did a few years back), but you're probably smart to delete them since their soft IP group is very very small and they only take non-science backgrounds "as needed" in the general IP department. It's also a far heavier litigation firm than corporate firm. So you're probably better off at your V10.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:I know that straight corporate gives you the best exit options,

Define "best"

DildaMan

Postby DildaMan » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:35 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I get what you're saying. WilmerHale is interviewing pretty heavily for IP this year according to my source. I can't speak to the rest of them.

I think if it were me, I would only interview with the firms on that list that made their IP departments major players. I think it's easy to forget that practice groups get treated differently depending on their importance to the firm. Were you able to get any experience with a boutique so that you're sure a tech group would make a switch worth your while?

^ This.

ajaxconstructions

Postby ajaxconstructions » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:36 am

rad lulz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I know that straight corporate gives you the best exit options,

Define "best"

Litbro is MAF.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:36 am

rad lulz wrote:

Define "best"

Most versatile? Most opportunities? I'm thinking in-house only. My supervisor told me, "every company needs corporate lawyers, but not everyone wants a trademark pro." True/false?

Also, forgot to confirm I'm a rising 2L.

FWIW, this is what I ended up doing:

Anonymous User wrote:Kaye Scholer
Schulte Roth & Zabel
WilmerHale
Linklaters
Kramer Levin
Cahill Gordon
Hughes Hubbard

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:46 am

As a rising 2L I wouldn't drop anything until I had an offer in hand.

Also if you're only interested in in-house then yes, transactional is generally better.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:47 am

ajaxconstructions wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

Define "best"

Litbro is MAF.

Tso IR8.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:52 pm

how did you get an offer so early?

Return to “Legal Employment”