Boalt EIW 2012

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273135
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Boalt EIW 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:54 pm

Anybody have an idea on who's started giving callbacks? Heard from Simpson Thacher (NY) so far.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273135
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Boalt EIW 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anybody have an idea on who's started giving callbacks? Heard from Simpson Thacher so far.


Location? Radio silence from CA firms so far for me. :|

Anonymous User
Posts: 273135
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Boalt EIW 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anybody have an idea on who's started giving callbacks? Heard from Simpson Thacher so far.


Location? Radio silence from CA firms so far for me. :|


Sorry--NY. Edited original to reflect. Is CA usually a little slower moving than NY? I know NY moves fast, but Ithink TX operates on a somewhat later schedule...not sure where CA falls on that spectrum :\

Anonymous User
Posts: 273135
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Boalt EIW 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:13 am

Are CBs slower to come from the Bay firms or is this a sign I'm going to strike out? :lol: The movement in the Hastings OCI thread has me seriously worried about my chances.

User avatar
Dignan
Posts: 1110
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:52 pm

Re: Boalt EIW 2012

Postby Dignan » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:Are CBs slower to come from the Bay firms or is this a sign I'm going to strike out? :lol: The movement in the Hastings OCI thread has me seriously worried about my chances.

I went through Boalt EIW last year. Although response times vary from firm to firm, most will call you back 24-48 hours after your screening interview. I had a couple firms call me back about a week after my screening interview, and you'll hear stories of folks getting callbacks 2+ weeks later, but the general rule is one or two days.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273135
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Boalt EIW 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:20 am

Dignan wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Are CBs slower to come from the Bay firms or is this a sign I'm going to strike out? :lol: The movement in the Hastings OCI thread has me seriously worried about my chances.


I went through Boalt EIW last year. Although response times vary from firm to firm, most will call you back 24-48 hours after your screening interview. I had a couple firms call me back about a week after my screening interview, and you'll hear stories of folks getting callbacks 2+ weeks later, but the general rule is one or two days.


Thanks for the info. Also :cry:

Anonymous User
Posts: 273135
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Boalt EIW 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:32 am

Dignan wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Are CBs slower to come from the Bay firms or is this a sign I'm going to strike out? :lol: The movement in the Hastings OCI thread has me seriously worried about my chances.

I went through Boalt EIW last year. Although response times vary from firm to firm, most will call you back 24-48 hours after your screening interview. I had a couple firms call me back about a week after my screening interview, and you'll hear stories of folks getting callbacks 2+ weeks later, but the general rule is one or two days.


I had a totally different experience. My callbacks (8 total) came anywhere from 1 week to 6 weeks later. These were all California firms, and my grades were a mixed bag, fwiw.

User avatar
Dignan
Posts: 1110
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:52 pm

Re: Boalt EIW 2012

Postby Dignan » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Dignan wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Are CBs slower to come from the Bay firms or is this a sign I'm going to strike out? :lol: The movement in the Hastings OCI thread has me seriously worried about my chances.

I went through Boalt EIW last year. Although response times vary from firm to firm, most will call you back 24-48 hours after your screening interview. I had a couple firms call me back about a week after my screening interview, and you'll hear stories of folks getting callbacks 2+ weeks later, but the general rule is one or two days.


I had a totally different experience. My callbacks (8 total) came anywhere from 1 week to 6 weeks later. These were all California firms, and my grades were a mixed bag, fwiw.

Wow. Did you go through EIW last year? I heard that, for whatever reason, law firms called people back much faster last year when compared to years past.

FWIW, 7 of my 9 callbacks came within 48 hours (and most were within 24 hours). These were all California offices.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273135
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Boalt EIW 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:48 am

I can confirm that Skadden and Latham have already given out some CBs.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273135
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Boalt EIW 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:59 am

Dignan wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Dignan wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Are CBs slower to come from the Bay firms or is this a sign I'm going to strike out? :lol: The movement in the Hastings OCI thread has me seriously worried about my chances.

I went through Boalt EIW last year. Although response times vary from firm to firm, most will call you back 24-48 hours after your screening interview. I had a couple firms call me back about a week after my screening interview, and you'll hear stories of folks getting callbacks 2+ weeks later, but the general rule is one or two days.


I had a totally different experience. My callbacks (8 total) came anywhere from 1 week to 6 weeks later. These were all California firms, and my grades were a mixed bag, fwiw.

Wow. Did you go through EIW last year? I heard that, for whatever reason, law firms called people back much faster last year when compared to years past.

FWIW, 7 of my 9 callbacks came within 48 hours (and most were within 24 hours). These were all California offices.


Yes, this was during 2L OCI last year. From talking with friends, my impression was that the CBs went in waves. The A pile... the B pile... etc, and as other people declined CBs/accepted offers, new CBs, like springy little mushrooms, would pop up when you least expected them.

The point being is that every student has a different experience, a different journey, and gets positive response in different ways - even from the same firm. This is much, much, much too early to be comparing/worried about CBs. You have built it. They will come. Relax Boalties - you've got this. Cheers.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273135
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Boalt EIW 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:32 pm

Drinker Biddle sent a rejection.

User avatar
Shaggier1
Posts: 720
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:57 am

Re: Boalt EIW 2012

Postby Shaggier1 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:45 pm

If you want to know which firms have started calling back, this is your best bet:

http://boaltalk.blogspot.com/2012/08/oc ... l#comments

User avatar
canon
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 3:18 pm

Re: Boalt EIW 2012

Postby canon » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:02 am

What I'm hearing is that people with better grades (4-5+ Hs) get their cbs earlier, and then people with mediocre grades hear back later. That said, I have heard of some people with straight Ps getting CBs the day after, but it's unusual. Any thoughts on that?

User avatar
Tanicius
Posts: 2957
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:54 am

Re: Boalt EIW 2012

Postby Tanicius » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:27 am

That seems to make sense if the "rounds" callback model is a reality.

User avatar
gymboree
Posts: 504
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:48 am

Re: Boalt EIW 2012

Postby gymboree » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:38 pm

Blow off steam and forget about OCI for awhile! Buy your tix to Boalt's student-organized back to school party (the Launch Party) - it's this Saturday! http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/255921

Anonymous User
Posts: 273135
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Boalt EIW 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:37 pm

After all that transfer hate on the webpage above, I'm wondering if I should boast about getting an offer from a top choice firm. If so, I'll make sure to say that the recruiter told me I took a non-transfer student's jerb.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273135
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Boalt EIW 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:03 pm

Haha, don't feed the trolls. Besides, the people defending the transfers seems to far outweigh the number of people bashing the transfers. A few bad apples struck out at OCI and its weighing heavily on them, so they decided to lash out. It makes me a little sad, but it isn't really worth time worrying about it.

As a transfer student, I think about where I was a year ago, and where I am now, at a great school with a great job lined up this summer, and that sort of thing just sorta melts away.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273135
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Boalt EIW 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Haha, don't feed the trolls. Besides, the people defending the transfers seems to far outweigh the number of people bashing the transfers. A few bad apples struck out at OCI and its weighing heavily on them, so they decided to lash out. It makes me a little sad, but it isn't really worth time worrying about it.

As a transfer student, I think about where I was a year ago, and where I am now, at a great school with a great job lined up this summer, and that sort of thing just sorta melts away.


Please don't ever say this to anyone at Boalt. A lot of the transfer outrage has to do with the fact that the transfers don't understand the level of discretion expected within a community like Boalt. Most of the people I've talked to are more annoyed at the attitude of transfers (highly aggressive during OCI in hospitality suites and at dinners, bragging about CBs in the boiler room, etc.) than that the transfers "took our jobs." Most of the original students did fine/great during OCI, and I haven't seen a very strong correlation between number of offers and the level of anti-transfer sentiment. Congrats on the job and welcome to Boalt, but it's really unfortunate that no one emphasized to the transfers the value our community places on discretion before they joined us for EIW.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273135
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Boalt EIW 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Haha, don't feed the trolls. Besides, the people defending the transfers seems to far outweigh the number of people bashing the transfers. A few bad apples struck out at OCI and its weighing heavily on them, so they decided to lash out. It makes me a little sad, but it isn't really worth time worrying about it.

As a transfer student, I think about where I was a year ago, and where I am now, at a great school with a great job lined up this summer, and that sort of thing just sorta melts away.


Please don't ever say this to anyone at Boalt. A lot of the transfer outrage has to do with the fact that the transfers don't understand the level of discretion expected within a community like Boalt. Most of the people I've talked to are more annoyed at the attitude of transfers (highly aggressive during OCI in hospitality suites and at dinners, bragging about CBs in the boiler room, etc.) than that the transfers "took our jobs." Most of the original students did fine/great during OCI, and I haven't seen a very strong correlation between number of offers and the level of anti-transfer sentiment. Congrats on the job and welcome to Boalt, but it's really unfortunate that no one emphasized to the transfers the value our community places on discretion before they joined us for EIW.

Did you read the blog posts?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273135
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Boalt EIW 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:41 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Haha, don't feed the trolls. Besides, the people defending the transfers seems to far outweigh the number of people bashing the transfers. A few bad apples struck out at OCI and its weighing heavily on them, so they decided to lash out. It makes me a little sad, but it isn't really worth time worrying about it.

As a transfer student, I think about where I was a year ago, and where I am now, at a great school with a great job lined up this summer, and that sort of thing just sorta melts away.


Please don't ever say this to anyone at Boalt. A lot of the transfer outrage has to do with the fact that the transfers don't understand the level of discretion expected within a community like Boalt. Most of the people I've talked to are more annoyed at the attitude of transfers (highly aggressive during OCI in hospitality suites and at dinners, bragging about CBs in the boiler room, etc.) than that the transfers "took our jobs." Most of the original students did fine/great during OCI, and I haven't seen a very strong correlation between number of offers and the level of anti-transfer sentiment. Congrats on the job and welcome to Boalt, but it's really unfortunate that no one emphasized to the transfers the value our community places on discretion before they joined us for EIW.


My apologies. I didn't realize my post came across as a little obnoxious, but re-reading it, I could've phrased things a little more delicately. My point was before law school, I was stuck in a dead-end job without much hope, and I've been lucky enough to hit the lottery by getting into Berkeley and getting a job. I've got a lot of friends at my old school who aren't in that position, so I count my blessings that at least for now, I have a way to pay off my student loans.

But as the above poster stated, most of the complaints on the blog don't seem to be complaining about discretion/gunner attitudes, but the fact that transfer students are "stealing our jobs." Yet, I know I wasn't able to make any headway with firms that wouldn't come to my old school anyways, so it's an irritating criticism. I am more sympathetic to your point about gunner attitudes, as I wouldn't be surprised if transfers are a little more intense. We've just come from schools where things were more competitive (and job prospects more dire) so I can see there being an adjustment period, especially since for most transfers, EIW is our first introduction to Berkeley and its vaunted "culture of discretion." At the same time, most transfers that I've met seem pretty shy and keep to themselves. I know I never talk about my summer job search with other transfers, because there are some who sound like they've struck out and I don't want to make things awkward. And I've never have had other transfers come up to me bragging about all the jobs/offers/cb they've bagged.

More on topic: I just got my list snail mail ding from screeners for EIW. Glad to be officially done with the whole EIW process!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273135
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Boalt EIW 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:02 pm

It grinds my gears that administration accepted 40 (!) transfers who ate up a ton of callbacks, while many of our classmates aren't doing as well they had hoped.

Lulz @ the idea of it being difficult to get all A's at some of the "accredited" law schools these cash cows went to.

Mad props to the transfers for getting recruiters impressed by your good grades competing against the functionally retarded at university of western state ag or whatever.

They did well at their own schools and that's great. BUT it's still really unfair to us OG Boalties, and I personally am very let down by our administration for letting in such a huge number of transfers.

In fact I would go further than what's already been said and and say that an administrative move like this makes Boalt seem like a diploma mill and devalues all of our degrees.

It is true that there is no need to hate transfers personally for choosing to come to our school. But why can't we hate on our school for letting in SO many transfers?

Just stop and consider what is happening. Forty+ transfers is enough to have a significant impact on all of us, and not just because of their real effect on OCI but because of their effect on the poor course availability this semester as well.

But it is "myopic" to say that the presence of the forty didn't affect outcomes at OCI or that their presence won't be felt throughout the next two years.

I came to Berkeley with a romantic view of the school and what it means to be part of the Berkeley Law community. I feel let down.


Also, the quotes from the blog don't capture all the bad things said during EIW. I'm glad that so many people went out of their way to clarify that they hate what we have done to their institution, rather than hating us.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273135
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Boalt EIW 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:13 pm

I'm not particularly sympathetic to either party here. Transfer students should know that in ITE there will inevitably be some anxiety about the fact that 40 people with very high grades are joining the competition for the limited number of interviews, callbacks, and, ultimately, offers that will result from Boalt's EIW. Although I would argue that anonymous bitching on message boards does more to undermine a sense of community than new students joining our class, I'm also not surprised (and I don't think transfer students should be either) that out of a class of nearly 300, a few people are going to make rude comments. I know that I personally made an effort to engage with transfer students when I met them at EIW and be friendly, and I doubt I'm the only one. On the other hand, five minutes of internet research would have notified incoming 1Ls that Boalt accepts a large number of transfers (I believe it was close to 40 last year as well, and has generally been in the 20-40 range). That should have been part of the calculus coming in, and the reason why many of us didn't take scholarships at lower-ranked schools is because we all know that there is no way to anticipate what grades you will have at the end of 1L, and we wanted to make sure that we had access to more interviews regardless of classroom performance.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273135
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Boalt EIW 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:23 pm

Quote crazy anon here.

I know there are always bad apples. I don't honestly think that everyone hates the transfer students. I was only refuting the poster above that said it doesn't exist.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273135
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Boalt EIW 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:21 pm

.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.