Got interview despite typo Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Got interview despite typo

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:11 am

So, I got a screening interview at a V50 law firm. However, there is a typo in my cover letter. It's one of those typos that is hard to catch, because your brain arranges the letters so that they are correct. I didn't catch it after reviewing my cover letter a gabillion times, and three people who reviewed my cover letter didn't catch it either. So I'm wondering... how carefully do hiring committees review cover letters? Has anyone ever gotten a job with a typo?

Anonymous User

Re: Got interview despite typo

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:So, I got a screening interview at a V50 law firm. However, there is a typo in my cover letter. It's one of those typos that is hard to catch, because your brain arranges the letters so that they are correct. I didn't catch it after reviewing my cover letter a gabillion times, and three people who reviewed my cover letter didn't catch it either. So I'm wondering... how carefully do hiring committees review cover letters? Has anyone ever gotten a job with a typo?
Yes, law firms realize you're human. Despite thorough review, they file things with typos in them all the time. If a coverletter is riddled with typos and grammatical errors it's unlikely to lead to a job. One typo, however, is probably going to be given a free pass as one of those inevitable mistakes that even good, thorough writers make.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”